Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving with hats

anon`

One Too Many
Anybody have some good advice on packing them into as small an area as possible? I've got about fifteen that I'd like to take on an interstate move, but the boxes both take up a lot of room, and are unwieldy. I'd hoped to find a larger box that I could stack four or five into, but nobody seems to make a nice, tall box with 18" to each base side.

So... thoughts? No, I don't need to bring the boxes, necessarily, but I still have to be able to protect the hats, regardless...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Anybody have some good advice on packing them into as small an area as possible? I've got about fifteen that I'd like to take on an interstate move, but the boxes both take up a lot of room, and are unwieldy. I'd hoped to find a larger box that I could stack four or five into, but nobody seems to make a nice, tall box with 18" to each base side.

So... thoughts? No, I don't need to bring the boxes, necessarily, but I still have to be able to protect the hats, regardless...
If you have a hat shop near you, ask 'em if they'll give you some of their old five- or six-hat shipping boxes. These are tall boxes with the round-the-crown rings (I don't know what they're called) inside, to keep the hats separate and prevent them from losing their shape or being crushed all together. The big hat boxes such as the ones modern Stetsons come in won't go inside, no, but the hats will travel just fine.

Meyer the Hatter gave me a couple when I was moving to CO, and when I asked a few months ago, they said they'd be glad to give me some more.

If you are careful you can stack some hats one on top of the other and you can get 2 or more in one box.
Be careful not to "scrunch" them and screw up the ribbons.
Also don't leave them stacked for very long, time is the enemy.

TomS

One Too Many
Just a thought... would it be possible to go to a "UPS store", and get them boxed-up there? Those folks do custom boxes, and its fairly reasonable. Also, rather than "move" them, maybe you could ship them out, and pick them up when you arrive?

Best of luck with the move!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass