Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Arkadin or The Three Lives of Harry Lime

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Attention Orson Wells fans...and those who owe their screen names to him:rolleyes: .... On April 18th the Criterion Collection will release a comprehensive DVD edition of Orson Wells' "Mr.Arkadin" aka "Confidential Report" 1955. This will contain 3 discs each one with a slightly different version of the film. Discs One and Two leading to the never before seen 'comprehensive' version. The complete novel and three of the original radio shows are also set to be included. Apparently the films producers became so angry with Wells and his constant re-editing of the film that they banned him from the editing room. Thus it's not possible to ever know how Wells would have completed this, but a least we will finally have all (most?) of the pieces of the puzzle... I'm looking forward to seeing this...

Harry Lime

Suspended
Good information, I had not heard this. Welles had legendary differences with everyone on his films at editing time. Sadly he lost every case. Now all these years later we're seeing his original ideas cut togetehr and I'd say in every case they are an improvememnt. Thanks for this, I'll pre-order on Amazon.

Harry Lime

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I figured it would be about fifty bucks. So far I've only been able to afford a dozen Criterion titles. I'm sure my local library will get it, though. They have most of them.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Criterion discs are always worth the price - if you like the film. They're "The Killers" disc is fantastic. The quality of the picture is always top notch and the extras, if they include any are usually great.

One more thing to add to my wish list.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
In Praise of Criterion....

The Criterion Collection is the best company releasing DVD in my opinion. Their releases are most always top quality. Not cheap but I've never been disapointed by any of the (too few) titles that I own.

About two years ago there was a special on Amazon.com where you could buy the (almost) complete Criterion Collection. 282 DVDs for about $5000! The only titles that weren't offered were the out of print ones. Unfortunately many of the best titles are now out of print and fetch some serious bucks...probably not Criterion's fault,most likely due to liscensing.

My collection of Criterion:
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Throne of Blood
Stray Dog
Yojimbo
Ikiru
Tokyo Story
Tokyo Drifter
Branded To Kill
Youth of the Beast
Le Samourai

Great titles that are out of print and will cost you several body parts to get:

John Woo's The Killer and Hard Boiled
Silence of the Lambs
Sid and Nancy
Dead Ringers
RoboCop
Flesh for Frankenstein
Blood for Dracula
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Orphic Trilogy
The Bank Dick
The Harder They Come
Eisenstein:The Sound Years
Jaques Tati's Playtime
How To Get Ahead In Advertising
Dreyer Box Set
Rebecca
Spellbound
Notorious
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival
I Am Curious
Straw Dogs
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
The BRD Trilogy
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
Stage and Spectacle: Three Films by Jean Renoir
well, the list goes on but you get the idea: don't wait too long to buy that film or you'll end up breaking the bank to get it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mr Arkadin

When I saw Mr Arkadin I immediately thought that Bruce Willis should do a remake of it, done exactly in 1950 period. He could get people like Michael Caine to do the same kinds of cameos that Michael Redgrave, et al did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart