Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Much better forum name.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations to whomever came-up with the new forum name. It's an apt improvement and will almost certainly solve the few disputes that the last one resulted in.

:eusa_clap

luvthatlulu

Suspended
The name is better, but I'm not clear how simply changing the name of any Forum solves any disputes.

First, we would all have to agree to stop reacting to every opposing viewpoint as though it was some sort of personal attack on our mother. Second, we should resist the urge to word/sentence parse for the purpose of initiating disagreements or using it as a means to accuse people of writing something that they never actually did in order to further one. Third, and perhaps the most important thing, we should avoid waiting until the inevitable online dispute between parties has run its course and been resolved...and then chiming in with some inane comment that anyone with a brain would know will just get it all started all over again!

Need clarification of someone's point? Try a PM first. If you can't say something nice...all the more reason to try a PM. They are easier to ignore/delete and take less time and effort to explain away to everyone else later.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The name is certainly an improvement and more closely aligned with MK's original intent.

While it may not eliminate disagreements (and may not have been intended to), hopefully it will eliminate most of the lowbrow, sophmoric, and sleazy posts that resulted when the forum was initiated.

No, I do not care to clarify or debate the terms lowbrow, sophmoric, and sleazy. I'm sure we all know what they mean. If not, purchase a dictionary.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Count me in as another pleased with the name change. As soon as I read "The Vice Room" I thought "Eek! Asking for trouble!".

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
RockBottom said:
I have to weigh in and say I liked the "old" name. But not enough to whine about it!

I have to agree. Dress it up anyway you want, a vice is a vice is a vice. But like RB says-it's not important enough to complain about.

By the way-I don't smoke. The butts in my avatar are candy!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
luvthatlulu said:
The name is better, but I'm not clear how simply changing the name of any Forum solves any disputes.

First, we would all have to agree to stop reacting to every opposing viewpoint as though it was some sort of personal attack on our mother. Second, we should resist the urge to word/sentence parse for the purpose of initiating disagreements or using it as a means to accuse people of writing something that they never actually did in order to further one. Third, and perhaps the most important thing, we should avoid waiting until the inevitable online dispute between parties has run its course and been resolved...and then chiming in with some inane comment that anyone with a brain would know will just get it all started all over again!

Need clarification of someone's point? Try a PM first. If you can't say something nice...all the more reason to try a PM. They are easier to ignore/delete and take less time and effort to explain away to everyone else later.

I see, so what you're really trying to say is...

:D :eusa_doh:

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Odd thing...

Although I like the new name and find it more fitting with the intent, oddly enough I find myself frequenting it less often. While the Vice Room was up, I spent rather a lot of time there. Maybe it was because of all the back-and-forth that was occurring due to those who didn't like the name, and/or chose to read more into it than originally intended. shakeshead I merely found it all amusing, and even started a thread in a tongue-in-cheek manner ("What's your biggest vice") to try to drive that point home. lol
But I agree that the new name is more in keeping with the original intent, and certainly in the high standards of the Lounge. Good choice! :eusa_clap

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I had no idea there was a big problem. I thought the name was great, kind of tongue in cheek, kind of vintagy, and played on the idea that what was considered a vice back in the day may well be a normal thing today, such as gambling.

Further, I iked the idea of discussing things that we know are not alway in our best interest, but we love them anyway, such as drinking or gambling or the opposite sex. And I think it would be kind of cutting out the duality if it to just call it connoseur. I don't always want to talk about what I like sometimes, I want to talk about what I like but I wish I didn't.

I mean, people really enjoyed scottrace's post on what to do with a hangover. We all sympathised and had a laugh. Would this seem right on a connoseur forum? Not really.

Perhaps it should have been clarified as harmless vices or vintage vices.

But t any rate, if it was causing dissension, then I guess it is better to get rid of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner