Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mug shots!

r lush

New in Town
(thought this was fun-- there are some really great vintage mug shots here! :p reposting from boingboing.net)

Mug shots as art
Graphic designer Mark Michaelson has a collection of tens of thousands of vintage mug shots. He's not after famous crooks or celebrities but rather "the small-timers, the least-wanted." Michaelson has posted some of his photos in various Flickr groups and also collected them in a beautiful hardcover coffee table book titled, Least Wanted: A Century of American Mugshots. The new issue of Smithsonian magazine features an article about Michaelson and a selection of his mug shots.
Images Articles 2007 Jan Pop Mugshot Woman
From the article:

mugshot_woman.jpg

...We are drawn to the photographs by their undeniable authenticity. In this day of flickering instantaneous images and photo-manipulation software, the mugs stare back as rare artifacts. "In an increasingly digital world," Michaelson notes in the book, "the hard copy original is an endangered species." Yet there's something else. The Least Wanted images intrigue us in the way a collection of old passport photos might not. A mug shot captures people at their lowest or most vulnerable. We look hard at their faces, calculating guilt or innocence. And then look harder.​

Link to Smithsonian article, Link to buy Least Wanted: A Century of American Mugshots

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Flickr visitors sure had some interesting (sometimes funny) comments on the mug collection.

Interesting, isn't it, that your average law-abiding citizen years ago could live and die without ever having a sharp, detailed picture taken - but some of the most revealing photos are of crimes and criminals.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The White Hat Gang

A particularly dapper little outfit. Collared in New York July 17, 1937.

135363482_004253b57e.jpg

Call 'em Pudge ('cause he is), Smiler ('cause he doesn't), and Lefty ('cause his tie's knotted the other way around).

katiemakeup

Practically Family
SinatraStyle said:
In the Golden Era people dressed well, even for mug shots.

I was going to say the same thing! Even the unsavory types of all walks of life looked put together... when did it all go downhill?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got this book--WOW! If want to see what people REALLY looked like, the clothes, the hair.. Oh boy! And like previously stated, the subjects for the most part are very well dressed :)

K

killertomata

Some time ago I found this page featuring female mugshots from the forties, so I submit it here for your perusal.

http://swapatorium.blogspot.com/2004/12/girls-gone-wild.html

Some of the photos are just so... they stimulate the imagination, the looks in their eyes. A couple of these girls look like it might have taken a pair of police officers to bring them in.

Personally, I think this first woman has quite a natural beauty. From her shot, I imagine she was probably hauled in for being a lady of the evening... as it's thought most of these women probably were.

123004irene.1.jpg

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Anyone else look at mug shots and actively imagine the person smiling and chatting amiably maybe as they make their entrance into the neighborhood bar or pay for a purchase at the Five & Dime?

I find it interesting how mug shots make people look dangerous, but were we to see them on the street or interact with them in the normal spheres of living, they're just regular people (except for people like that out of control neighbor of MrNewportCustom; here's hoping they lose the key to that one's cage).

Hmm. On second thought, that's a little scary - make that a lot scary.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I spent about 45 minutes at Strand Bookstore a few months go poring over every picture in this book (but I didn't buy it! Sorry Strand!) Utterly fascinating. A lot of these faces have traces of tragedy in them, as well as the dehumanization of being arrested. But others show lot of spunk. Pretty cool pix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails