Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mug shots!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, speaking of old mug shots, here's another guy on the other side of the law, with one of his fedoras, maybe the kind that Karpis mentioned. Yes, and that is his pal or partner, Clyde Tolson with him. Nice hats.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
James -- I was wondering what those hats were. I thought they were Panamas at first, maybe they're felt?

What do you think they were? They look the same, matching fedoras?

karol

PS Thanks for putting that photo on, easier for people to see than the way I do it. -- kdl

Originally posted by K.D. Lightner
James -- I was wondering what those hats were. I thought they were Panamas at first, maybe they're felt?

Yeah, I am guessing that they are felt as well. They appear to be straw due to the grainyness of the photo but I doubt they would actually have worn panamas in that configuration and I think I see a Cavanaugh edge on Hoover's hat.

What do you think they were? They look the same, matching fedoras?

karol

PS Thanks for putting that photo on, easier for people to see than the way I do it. -- kdl

I don't think they were the same kind of fedoras but they are the same style. The ribbon on the other guy's hat looks to be just a bit narrower but I could be wrong. Interesting how their hats tilt at complimentary angles though. :D
The photos are not that hard to post. The file type just has to be converted to Jpeg.

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Brad --

I checked back at the website where I downloaded the photos and the text for the photo of the two G-men standing together stated it was taken in 1936. I am guessing that the single one of Tolson was taken about the same time and the photo in which they are both sitting had no date on it, but judging from their looks, it was in the same time frame, maybe a little later, but not much.

I wonder what kind of hats those are.

Maybe I can research it and find the answer.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
They could be cream or very light gray or white felt. Don't look too much like straw. Most straws then had the Optimo block and also the good old boater.

Those are very high crowns! I love them! I got to find me one!

Lots of men wore them in the 30's. It was the hat of choice I have noticed. Like Ball caps are today. They once were very common. Now, good luck on finding one.

Well, so I look like "Old Creepy". I now know how to scare any one that might want to try and pull any thing. Any way, I was having a rough day that photo was taken! The girl I was seeing was giving me a hard time the night before and so, I wasn't doing to good. I like that photo because I really did capture the feel of a thug like, I have Tommy and he's going to do all the talking! They weren't happy people at all! Some men then chose a life of crime just to eat and have some nice things. But, the price tag was to be chased and hunted by the law.

This has really been an educational topic.

Thanks,

Root.

This is an Optimo straw hat K.D. just if you were wondering. Not made by Optimo, it's just the name of the style of straw hat.

up196

A-List Customer
Speaking of Tommy (gun) . . .

When my son was small, 3rd grade I think, he spent the day with several other school pals at the home of one of his classmates. The boy's father is a professional musician and had instruments from all over the world in the house, many of which he demonstrared for the kids. He asked if anyone's parents played any instruments, and junior replied "My daddy can play the clarinet, the guitar and the Chicago Piano."

Not sure if these are the same hats....

Actually, I think the hats worn by Clyde in the two different pictures are the same one. If we look at them side by side in this comparison picture I think they look very similar if not identical. The timeline is correct and my eyes seem to tell me they are the same hat. Even the tie looks the same. :D What do you all think?

Regards to all,

J

up196

A-List Customer
Probably taken within minutes of each other. He looks like he's wearing the same tie, too.

up196

A-List Customer
Pretty sharp, eh?

With such keen powers of observation, I should be a detective. Hey, wait a minute, I AM a detective . . .

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Re: Optimo straw hats: Are they all styled with that ridge or can you get them restyled?

Also, how expensive are those straws. That looks like a tight weave in the photo.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Re: Optimo straw hats: Are they all styled with that ridge or can you get them restyled?

Well, like I mentioned before, this style of panama is called Optimo. Optimo is the name of this style of Panama hat. Optimo hats in Chicago (The hat store) can make a variety of different styles of panama hats! You don’t buy an Optimo panama and try to take the crease out. You buy the Panama hat that fits your style.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails