Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murder Mystery Party / Evenings

NicknNora

A-List Customer
We've wanted to go to one of these for a long time. I didn't know you could do one at home too. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.;)

texasgirl

One Too Many
We are working on our 4th annual party right now. I think everyone really enjoys getting dressed up, and even the quiet people really get into it. We have both reenactor friends who come, as well as people who really don't know much about the 20s. So we end with authentic and not, but no one cares because it's all about friendship and fun, and not judging.

We have done these :
First time
Second time

Third game

And this year I think we are going with this one

We have taken everyone's mugshot, had a 20s film playing in our empty dining room, made a wall of celebrities- with photos autographed by 20s gangsters, etc. We always give out prizes too for Best costume, Best Acting, Solving the Mystery, and ending up with the most money.

We usually have anywhere from 15-25 people. It's hard assigning the characters, so you have to make sure people understand they have to RSVP, and let you know immediately if they have to cancel. Last year the man who was supposed to get killed cancelled at the last minute and we had to make changes.

Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_2539-1.jpg

IMG_2527-1.jpg

100_3134.jpg

100_3193.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
We are working on our 4th annual party right now. I think everyone really enjoys getting dressed up, and even the quiet people really get into it. We have both reenactor friends who come, as well as people who really don't know much about the 20s. So we end with authentic and not, but no one cares because it's all about friendship and fun, and not judging.

We have done these :
First time
Second time

Third game

And this year I think we are going with this one

We have taken everyone's mugshot, had a 20s film playing in our empty dining room, made a wall of celebrities- with photos autographed by 20s gangsters, etc. We always give out prizes too for Best costume, Best Acting, Solving the Mystery, and ending up with the most money.

We usually have anywhere from 15-25 people. It's hard assigning the characters, so you have to make sure people understand they have to RSVP, and let you know immediately if they have to cancel. Last year the man who was supposed to get killed cancelled at the last minute and we had to make changes.

Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_2539-1.jpg

IMG_2527-1.jpg

100_3134.jpg

100_3193.jpg

Texasgirl - your murder mystery parties look wonderful. I love the mug shots and where did you get the Lucky Strike cigarette box? Did you make it? If so, where did you get the Lucky Strike art work and the matches?

Which game did you like the best 1, 2 or 3?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks! Girl Friday on here played the cigarette girl so you might try to PM her- I think it was all homemade :) I thought the first one was a lot of fun. The second one, which was part 2, was toned down to a "clean- teen safe" version. I thought it was a little too easy to figure out. The third one was fun too.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
Thanks! Girl Friday on here played the cigarette girl so you might try to PM her- I think it was all homemade :) I thought the first one was a lot of fun. The second one, which was part 2, was toned down to a "clean- teen safe" version. I thought it was a little too easy to figure out. The third one was fun too.

Does the whole game take place at the dinner table or do you end up going to other rooms searching for clues? What mistakes did you learn from along the way? Any suggestions to us first timers on what to watch out for or what to include?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Well, we have never had a table(s) to seat 15+. But the first year we did "dinner" with all the trimmings and had so much food left over.

There is so much you have to do. You usually get a booklet when you get there that will have instructions. Such as- Make sure to tell so and so, that you know their secret, etc. Then after the murder, you'll get another set of things to do. So there's a lot of socializing.

I think finger foods work so much better. We also don't start until 8 because we have friends in new home sales that always have to work on Saturdays until 7. It usually takes about 3 hrs to go through everything.

It seems like one of the games, we had to hide items. The first year we were in a condo so space was limited. The second year, we had a 3 story apt with a garage on the bottom floor, which my husband turned into a speakeasy. We had the food upstairs that year, and people went back and forth. This past year, we moved into a house so we kinda had it all over the main parts of the house.

I think the most time consuming part is assigning the characters. Trying to figure out who would do what. I had a problems last year with people cancelling a week before, and had to reassign characters, which was kind of a pain. But later when I said something about it being the final one, many of my friends were like no! So, a year passes and here we are planning another one!

We also use mason jars for glasses, which everyone really likes. One year I researched party food from the 20s and tried to only have foods that would have been served then. Here's a good source:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1920s

NicknNora

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
Well, we have never had a table(s) to seat 15+. But the first year we did "dinner" with all the trimmings and had so much food left over.

There is so much you have to do. You usually get a booklet when you get there that will have instructions. Such as- Make sure to tell so and so, that you know their secret, etc. Then after the murder, you'll get another set of things to do. So there's a lot of socializing.

I think finger foods work so much better. We also don't start until 8 because we have friends in new home sales that always have to work on Saturdays until 7. It usually takes about 3 hrs to go through everything.

It seems like one of the games, we had to hide items. The first year we were in a condo so space was limited. The second year, we had a 3 story apt with a garage on the bottom floor, which my husband turned into a speakeasy. We had the food upstairs that year, and people went back and forth. This past year, we moved into a house so we kinda had it all over the main parts of the house.

I think the most time consuming part is assigning the characters. Trying to figure out who would do what. I had a problems last year with people cancelling a week before, and had to reassign characters, which was kind of a pain. But later when I said something about it being the final one, many of my friends were like no! So, a year passes and here we are planning another one!

We also use mason jars for glasses, which everyone really likes. One year I researched party food from the 20s and tried to only have foods that would have been served then. Here's a good source:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1920s

Thanks for all of the tips, Texasgirl. This will clearly take some thought. I was searching online for some games and found some for up to 10 players so I'm going to start small. Once I have my game I will spend some time really thinking this out so that I'm prepared. Your tips will certainly help. By the way which of your games had the cigarette girl?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
texasgirl - your look great, I never knew you could have so many people :).

A general question for everybody, I'm starting to think about my next project i.e. next MM I want to write. Does anyone have any suggestion on a theme/location?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks Ethan! I think something from the 30s would be fun, and I haven't seen any. Oh, something around the Titantic might be fun :)

NicknNora

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
Thanks Ethan! I think something from the 30s would be fun, and I haven't seen any. Oh, something around the Titantic might be fun :)

Texasgirl, They have one for the Titanic. I saw them on ebay.

They even include recipes from the Titanic's menu. It looks pretty cool.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went to a Murder Mystery Party (from a box) that someone else gave on halloween. We had a few problems: Host didn't read all the information before the party, so things moved slowly, people didn't get into character and so were boring.

With 8 people and not everyone getting into character it got boring really fast if people aren't willing to keep playing their part.

But I'd do it again, just invite people who were willing to play along.

I have a picture somewhere. Maybe one day I can find it and post it. I was all 1920's with a beaded dress and cape. However, TexasGirl takes the cake. Wonderful pics!

texasgirl

One Too Many
NicknNora- thanks! I'll have to check into that. A new dress opportunity... ;)

Thanks Vintage Betty! Yes, we have a lot of close friends we do not even invite because we know they wouldn't get into it.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Many thanks for your kind comments, :)

Moving left to right:
Back row: Cadfael (12th C. Monk), Father Dowling, Columbo, Inspector Clouseau.
Front row: Hetty Wainthropp, Poirot, DCI Gene Hunt (from Ashes to Ashes) and Daphne Blake (Scooby Doo).
The guy in the front was the host (and author) who was dressed as Dr. Watson.

Holmes was the victim.
Jessica Fletcher (of Murder She Wrote) was also played as was Jonathan Creek but they don't appear to be in the picture.

Alas Monk & Miss Marple were left on the cutting room floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner