Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum of Transportation, ST Louis

davestlouis

Practically Family
http://transportmuseumassociation.org/

Neat museum, lots of railroad cars and locomotives, some cars, one plane even. If you visit at the right time, they have car shows on the lower parking lot. It's not a huge place, so don't count on spending more than a couple of hours there, but it's a great place.

You can climb in and on some of the railcars, which the kids always enjoy. The place is also adjacent to an active railbed, so you can hear trains go by.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Didn't they film all the train scenes in A League of Their Own there?

Or maybe that was another one. Still I'm going to stop out those when I get teh heck out of Alaska and do my drive across the country freedom tour.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My step grandfather, C. W. (Mike) Seeman used to be the fireman on the 573 until it retired. He lived in Bluffs Illinois and retired from the Wabash in 1961 (I think). I took my Mom and Dad there in mid August and have some pictures of him with the train. I'll post them later.

http://transportmuseumassociation.org/images/exhibits/wabash573.jpg

I spent the whole week back home looking for pictures of my Mom and Dad riding on the train with my grandpa, but couldn't find them anywhere.

Later

Too bad they can't get the Marmora back under steam... that'd be a remarkable achievement for it's age. (B&A 39 is called an "Eddy Clock" because of B&A-precursor Boston & Worcester's chief mechanical engineer Wilson Eddy, whose locomotives were designed and built so well they were said to run like clockwork--and #39 is the sole survivor of the breed.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy