Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

music lessons (pricing)

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Hey yall, if you were to take music lessons from a VERY accomplished piano player...how much would they run? Does $50 a lesson sound too steep? I met a potential piano teacher here in Miami and he seems very qualified and plays incredibly well in a style that I am seeking to emulate. Does this sound like a feasible price?

S

Samsa

Well, two questions I guess. One, does this teacher make his living from teaching? Two, how serious are you about studying and mastering your instrument? I take classical guitar lessons, but it's a very casual set up, and I don't have as much time as I would like to devote to practicing...that said, I pay $20 a week.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Yes, it is very serious. He requires that I practice at least 2 hours a day and the lessons will be an hour long. Are your lessons an hour long? This would certainly be to master the craft...he guarantees to have me where I want to be in one year...

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I've played the violin since I was in 5th grade and took lessons from a very accomplished violin/viola player that happened to be local. I stopped going 5 years ago because I realized I wasn't that serious about it anymore but he charged $45 an hour that long ago. Different instruments but hopefully that helps!

S

Samsa

6StringShooter said:
Yes, it is very serious. He requires that I practice at least 2 hours a day and the lessons will be an hour long. Are your lessons an hour long? This would certainly be to master the craft...he guarantees to have me where I want to be in one year...

No, more like 30 - 45 minutes per. Like I said, it's very casual; he works full time and I am his only "student." I certainly don't have the time to devote two hours a day to it. Given your drive and his apparent expertise, I would say that's a very reasonable price. Good luck!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
$50 an hour is a GREAT price! I used to pay more than that to study flute with a former principal flautist with the Chicago Phil.

Ditto that- I used to pay $200/hr for lessons with the former principal trumpet of the Phila Orch! :eek:

Now, when I teach I get $26/half hour at my studio or $20/hh if they come to my house. I'd say $50/hr is quite reasonable for the level of instructor & the committment required.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I pay $34/hour for my daughter's piano lessons taught after school by one of the school's teachers. $50 an hour for something a lot more intense doesn't sound over-priced at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo