Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians? Help! with trumpet.

BigFitz

Practically Family
My 7 year told me today he wants a trumpet for Christmas so I go on ebay and see a a Holton Collegiate from 1970 for auction with three minutes left. So I impulsively buy it without reading the entire description. Apparently, the mechanism that holds the mouthpiece in place is missing. So my question is, how big a deal is this and is it a costly repair? And any opinions of this maker of instruments is appreciated. Got it for $66 shipped by the way.

Here is the link (I think)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140665360263?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
It looks like the brace just needs to be resoldered to the leadpipe (the tube that holds the mouthpiece). Resoldering jobs vary, but you out to be able to find someone fairly local who can handle this repair for $15 to $25. You should probably get the horn chem-cleaned while you are at it; that will cost another $50 to $65 or so.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

If you bought a working trumpet from before 1980, and it works for $36, you made out like a BANDIT. The newer horns have about half the metal of the old ones. They're way too light for kids to use.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen