Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 1st Whippet

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
My first Stetson and my first Whippet. Boy, what a catch.

2 7/8 brim and a 6 inch crown (open crowned) with a 1.5 inch ribbon (about 38 or 39mm). Awesome right?

whippet1.jpg

whippet2.jpg

whippet3.jpg

I'm not absolutely sure about the age, but I'm guessing 40s. Anyone experts willing to take the task?

More pictures here, including the liner:
The listing

The sweat was really beat up so I had to bind the edges with tape. Seems to be doing the job though.

I've thought about replacing the ribbon with something darker too. I've experimented with brown died with black, but the hat's such a dark brown it doesn't seem to do the job. I'm thinking black might do the trick though.

Please excuse my pics, I had to take them with my camera.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
metropd said:
Maybe Marcus just did not pull the hat down on his head because he has a full set of hair?

I will have to remember that logic the next time my pants don't seem to fit. It is not because the pants are too small, it is because I have a full midsection.;)

Feraud

Bartender
Bud-n-Texas said:
I will have to remember that logic the next time my pants don't seem to fit. It is not because the pants are too small, it is because I have a full midsection.;)
I tell my wife I have big bones when my clothes do not fit. :)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LMAO......Bud

Bud-n-Texas said:
Nice Lid Marcus. Leave the ribbon, IMHO if you swap the ribbon you have to then match the brim, otherwise it won't look right.

Did you have to stretch this hat at all? I see it's a 6.75 and the sweat is torn, I was wondering how that worked for you? :rolleyes:

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
How is the fit? It looks too small on you.

Actually it's a decent fit. It's tight, but I've worn it for a whole day and it's still comfortable. I think it looks really small because of my hair, because in the side pic all of my hair's visibly being squeezed to the back of my head, creating the illusion of having a bigger head. I just need to get a haircut to wear this one properly, because my barber left the back too long and thick.

Nice Lid Marcus. Leave the ribbon, IMHO if you swap the ribbon you have to then match the brim, otherwise it won't look right.

Did you have to stretch this hat at all? I see it's a 6.75 and the sweat is torn, I was wondering how that worked for you?

I've done ribbon swaps on hats with bound edges before, and it's worked out fine in my opinion. I also did some tests in photoshop with modifying the color of the ribbon to dark brown and black, and it looks pretty good, even with the bound edge.

I haven't stretched the hat. 6.75 is definitely the bare minimum of a hat that I can wear. Actually what needs to be done is more of a sideways stretch, because lots of Asians actually wear round ovals better than regular ovals. I had a difficult time with a 6 7/8 because it was too ovalish, so I did a bit of a reblock to make it into a round oval and now it fits the best out of all my hats. I can confirm this too, because I can't get the Raiders warped brim by just turning my hat a couple of inches. The only way I've been able to get a warped Raider brim was by turning that hat a complete 90 degrees and resetting the ribbon accordingly.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Whippet Wearers of the World Unite!

Looks good. You're a very lucky man to be able to fit your head into anything under a size 7. If it does feel too small, and you find the sweat damage tiresome, you can always kill two birds with one stone by replacing it and resizing at the same time.

I would leave the ribbon alone, though. I have pretty much the same hat (only a lot larger), and I love the matching ribbon. It's subtle, but it's not invisible, and since the ribbon and the binding are both so wide, I think it works well.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I was going to be a little more subtle, but...

:eek:fftopic:
Seriously, I'm going to Lexol the hell out of the thing this weekend, and see if it loosens up. If not, it's off to the hatter next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff