Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 3rd Hat from 'Bates' of Jermyn St

Flashman

Familiar Face
Sirs,

New here.

I recently got my 3rd hat from Bates the traditional hat shop at Jernyn Street which will sadly move soon.

Thos of you who have been will know how old and sweet it is.
Those of you who have not, this month is the last and as of March they they move.
Sad day.

Anyway, i am on my 3rd hat - the 2nd soft felt. The first hat i go was last summer from Bates - a lovely Seville cut panama hat which i enjoyed wearing on my hols.

Autumn last eyar i got my first black soft felt from Bates, its a Burlington cut 'trilby'.

Then 2 weeks ago i was asked what would i like as a pressy? I said a hat from Bates please.
So we went down and i picked out a Grosvenor cut 'navy' (i think) trilby (although it could be a fedora, i never know).

I might post some pics.
I am really enjoying wearing my hats.

I work in the City of London, so i wear it with a 2/3 peice suit and with overcoat as its very cold.

Its nice to see more and more gents in soft felts hats in the City.

I wil post some pics when i can.

I took to wearing soft felts hats as a bald 35 year old man, the cold weather has in the past left one with a choice of woolly hats or baseball caps, which dont look brilliant in winter with a suit.

I really like the way my hats look. I am slim-ish build and have a good soft face and am looking to drop a few more kg's (have gone from 77 to 74 in the past 3 weeks), cos it helps to look smoother if you are svelt.

Anyway, i will put up some pics.

Keep well.

Flash.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I was in there a couple of weeks ago looking for a grey fedora/trilby (I agree that the distinction is not clear).

I looked at a Grosvenor and it was lovely, a very soft felt. They didn't have my size in the grey however so I came away with a Stetson Penn.

I'll be popping back for a Grosvenor in another colour sometime soon however.

Very informative and friendly service. I was erring towards buying the Grosvenor, even though it was a little snug and the assistant steered me towards the Stetson, even though it was cheaper, because it fitted better.

I believe they are just moving a little further down Jermyn St which is good news but it's still a shame.

Flashman

Familiar Face
AntonAAK said:
I was in there a couple of weeks ago looking for a grey fedora/trilby (I agree that the distinction is not clear).

I looked at a Grosvenor and it was lovely, a very soft felt. They didn't have my size in the grey however so I came away with a Stetson Penn.

I'll be popping back for a Grosvenor in another colour sometime soon however.

Very informative and friendly service. I was erring towards buying the Grosvenor, even though it was a little snug and the assistant steered me towards the Stetson, even though it was cheaper, because it fitted better.

I believe they are just moving a little further down Jermyn St which is good news but it's still a shame.

The Grosvenor i found is a tad 'stronger' and 'firmer' than my Burlington. The Burlington is a tad 'smaller' brim/crown compared to my Grosvenor.

When i purchased the Burlington i relied on the advice of the salesman who was very helpful and we tried a few. He advised for me to not go for a very wide rim or a very tall crown - which i agreed with. With hindsight i feel the Burlington is a tad small. I am not very tall (5 7" tops) and average build - so the hat had to be proportional to my size and face too.

The Grosvenor is looking better every time i wear it - although the first day it felt huge as i was used to the Burlington by now.
I may STICK with the Grosvenor as i thinkits just the right brim/crown for me.

TBH, the BEST one is probably my Seville Panama - its a lovely shape and one of finest Panamas i have ever seen. In fact when i went down to purchase it last summer and was trying on a few different shapes - 3 gents came in saw me with the Seville and said they wanted exactly what i was wearing! :)
Still.

I will get some additional colours going forward, now i have a navy Grosvnenor, be good to get a black and grey too.

I have not come across the Stetson Penn, i must add the Bates website is very weak.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Flashman said:
The Grosvenor i found is a tad 'stronger' and 'firmer' than ny Burlington. The Burlington is a tad 'smaller' brim/crown compared to my Grosvenor.

When i purchased the Burlington i relied on the advice of the salesman who was very helpful and we tried a few. He advised for me to not go for a very wide rim or a very tall crown - which i agreed with. With hindsight i feel the Burlington is a tad small. I am not very tall (5 7" tops) and average build - so the hat had to be proportional to my size and face too.

The Grosvenor is looking better every time i wear it - although the first day it felt huge as i was used to the Burlington by now.
I may STICK with the Grosvenor as i thinkits just the right brim/crown for me.

TBH, the BEST one is probably my Seville Panama - its a lovely shape and one of finest Panamas i have ever seen. In fact when i went down ti purchase it last summer and was trying on a few different shapes - 3 gents came in saw me with the Seville and said they wanted exactly what i was wearing! :)
Still.

I will get some additional colours going forward, now i have a navy Grosvnenor, be good to get a black and grey too.

I have not come across the Stetson Penn, i must add the Bates website is very weak.

Sounds like the Burlington is more of a trilby style and the Grosvenor more of a fedora.

The website is very weak and only lists their own hats so I was surprised to see that they sell other brands too. I like my Stetson and am wearing it much more than my old standby Christies Adventurer (Navy). It is drying out as I sit in the office right now. No need for an umbrella when you have a decent hat and overcoat.

I will be in the market for a new panama for the summer so would be interested in seeing a picture of your Seville if you get a chance.

It is good to hear that you are wearing your hats in the City. Were there many bowlers on Bowler Hat Day last week?

Flashman

Familiar Face
AntonAAK said:
Sounds like the Burlington is more of a trilby style and the Grosvenor more of a fedora.

The website is very weak and only lists their own hats so I was surprised to see that they sell other brands too. I like my Stetson and am wearing it much more than my old standby Christies Adventurer (Navy). It is drying out as I sit in the office right now. No need for an umbrella when you have a decent hat and overcoat.

I will be in the market for a new panama for the summer so would be interested in seeing a picture of your Seville if you get a chance.

It is good to hear that you are wearing your hats in the City. Were there many bowlers on Bowler Hat Day last week?

I will post a pic of my Seville-Panama, hopefully over the weekend. I will post a few pics of the Burlington and Grosvenor too, so you see the difference and what i mean.
The interesting thing is the Burlington does not have the lovely 'logo' like the Grosvenor has (just adds a nice touch).
The City is, now that i personally started wearing them - full of trilby/fedora hat wearers. Not near enough but nice to see a few around. I must be one of the 'very younger' ones.
Still.

I cant say i have even seen one bowler hat wearer.

I plan to, in addition to my current fedoras get a few more colors and get a HOMBURG at some point.

billyspew

One Too Many
I bought my first hat from Bates about 18 months ago. I like it, goodish quality for a modern hat, cotton sweatband, no lining, slightly velour like finish...

3090671212_7df2e27529.jpg

Flashman

Familiar Face
Thats a great pic. I have to learn to take some better shots - i tried taking a few the other night but the lighting wasn't great and getting the correct angle is tricky.

I like Bates as its only one of two shops on Jermyn Street - the other being Locke & Co, who are a tad out of my price range.

Flashman

Familiar Face
CIMG0422.jpg

CIMG0423.jpg

CIMG0425.jpg

CIMG0426.jpg

CIMG0429.jpg

CIMG0430.jpg

CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0433.jpg

CIMG0434.jpg

CIMG0435.jpg

(Sorry if the pics are bit large, i am rather new to all this...)

Let me know what you learned hatters think of my 'modest' starter collection.

(I have a vast collection of 'very' decent caps - mostly with car emblems).

This is a very grown up look i am developing in 'hat' life development shall we say.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Flashman said:
Thats a great pic. I have to learn to take some better shots - i tried taking a few the other night but the lighting wasn't great and getting the correct angle is tricky.

Photography takes practice regardless of the subject. Fedoras certainly add their own complexity to the game. Getting the light right is one thing but given the multitude of angles and shadows presented by the lumps and dents in a fedora we have a very complex problem.

I am no student of photography. I have too many budgetary masters already.

Don't forget that while many of us here are professional ;) hat aficionados, the vast majority of us are amateur photographers.

Welcome to the Lounge, Flashman.

Flashman

Familiar Face
CRH said:
Photography takes practice regardless of the subject. Fedoras certainly add their own complexity to the game. Getting the light right is one thing but given the multitude of angles and shadows presented by the lumps and dents in a fedora we have a very complex problem.

I am no student of photography. I have too many budgetary masters already.

Don't forget that while many of us here are professional ;) hat aficionados, the vast majority of us are amateur photographers.

Welcome to the Lounge, Flashman.

Thank you for the welcome C.

I appreciate your comments.

I did my best with the photos, not a great first attempt granted, but having spoken about the hats - i felt obliged to show them.

Just to add also, the 2 soft felts are NOT both black, the one with the 'wider' sweat band is actually a navy 'Grosvenor' fedora...(my current fave).

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Flashman said:
Thank you for the welcome C.

I appreciate your comments.

I did my best with the photos, not a great first attempt granted, but having spoken about the hats - i felt obliged to show them.

Just to add also, the 2 soft felts are NOT both black, the one with the 'wider' sweat band is actually a navy 'Grosvenor' fedora...(my current fave).

Just fine for a first attempt. The fine background choice will score points. :D

Now that navy blue lid. Is it really navy or is it darker than navy. I have yet to land a really dark blue lid.

Flashman

Familiar Face
CRH said:
Just fine for a first attempt. The fine background choice will score points. :D

Now that navy blue lid. Is it really navy or is it darker than navy. I have yet to land a really dark blue lid.

Its VERY dark blue...in fact unless in daylight, you could almost mistake it for a 'black'.

Thank ee' for the nice comment re: background.

Flashman

Familiar Face
I am actually thinking of selling the 'black' Burlington trilby, as it was my first soft felt i feel i got the brim size wrong for my liking.
I prefer the Grosvenors brim more.

Does anyone fancy it?

I paid about £130 for it a few months ago - its in fine condition and i would happily send it in a suitable box to anyone in the UK.
I would consider all offers above £100
(I can then go an replace it with a black Grosvenor).

Flashman

Familiar Face
Just to add a few comments as i have been off the forum for a while (due to lappy crashing!)

In the City (Square mile, London), i have been coming across more and more hat wearers (of the Fedora/Trilby type).

Recently at one of the Inns of courts i finally saw a bowler hat donned bya chap.

I have been mostly wering my dark blue Grosvenor (fedora) as the brim is a little wider and i prefer its weight/thicker texture more.
I may have a little thought about another purchase of a lighter one for spring - as i notice sometimes my heads does get warm and sweaty.

BTW, is there a cut off point in the year for soft felts?

(Plus, i occassionaly step out lunch without the overcoat but with my hat and suit (usually a 3 peice) - rather like it.

And finally NOT a signle week goes by that i dont get at least one commpliement about the hat(s).

Hereward

One of the Regulars
The hat I am wearing in my avatar was from Bates and a Yule present from my wife. Who knows, you and I may have seen each other in the Smoke at some time, because I am seen around those parts occasionally.

Flashman

Familiar Face
May have.

I ususally try not t notice another chap/gent in a hat in an obvious way - and almost pass as if i hadnt noticed at all.
Save any embarrasement and really it should be no different to another chap wearing a suit, tie or scarf.

But always nice to see more gents in hats for sure.

(I will look out for you - you may not be able to tell!)

Flashman said:
Just to add a few comments as i have been off the forum for a while (due to lappy crashing!)

In the City (Square mile, London), i have been coming across more and more hat wearers (of the Fedora/Trilby type).

Recently at one of the Inns of courts i finally saw a bowler hat donned bya chap.

I have been mostly wering my dark blue Grosvenor (fedora) as the brim is a little wider and i prefer its weight/thicker texture more.
I may have a little thought about another purchase of a lighter one for spring - as i notice sometimes my heads does get warm and sweaty.

BTW, is there a cut off point in the year for soft felts?

(Plus, i occassionaly step out lunch without the overcoat but with my hat and suit (usually a 3 peice) - rather like it.

And finally NOT a signle week goes by that i dont get at least one commpliement about the hat(s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic