Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jacora

Familiar Face
I've Got The Blues

Lot's of blues. Virtually every bit of clothing I own has at least some blue in it. If it doesn't have any blue, it's probably burgundy or black. Even my eyeglass frames are blue. If you are familiar with color seasons, I'm a 'summer' and can get away with some 'winter' colors as well. What I can't do is earth tones. I'm not a fan of them, and they are not a fan of me.

One of my favorite lines from the show 'The Black List' is when James Spader's character says, "Agent Keen, I have a tip. You're a winter, not an autumn. Stop wearing olive." I still chuckle to think of it.

Well, all of this is to say that I find typical hat colors (especially Akubra) problematic. Most Akubra colors are decidedly 'autumn'. Yes, there are some greys, but they are only available with certain hats, and many are so dark as to be a shade of black. And a pure grey with no blue tones is not a 'summer' color either. Now I have no problem with black as a clothing color. I have quite a bit of it. But a black fedora has no 'fun' in it. It can rather look like a funeral.

So, I've started this thread because I suspect there are others here like me, and this may be a good place to share how you've addressed the issue. Found any cool hats in a greyish-blue (as opposed to blueish-grey)? Any Bespoke hatters that have more blue-tone fur felt options (other than dark Navy)?

My profile pic shows a Carbon Stylemaster dressed up to bring out some blue (and some fun). I also have an Everything Australian Adventurer in Graphite (looks black to me), that I put a cobalt blue ribbon on (I'll post a pic soon). I've given up on my Heritage Fawn Banjo Peterson and plan to sell it. I have a Leisure Time in Federation Navy on order from Australia to replace it and I'm excited to find out what that will look like. I also have a Scala Tempe Panama that I love the shape and fit of, but it has an olive band. I think I'm going to get rid of that too, or at least try to find a replacement band. I've ordered a Hemp Stratoliner Special Edition in Navy (may come in today!) that may be my Panama replacement.

If you share my frustrations, perhaps we can make enough noise in this thread that companies/hatters may take notice and provide more hats in our color palette. There's always hope.

I've Got The Blues

Lot's of blues. Virtually every bit of clothing I own has at least some blue in it. If it doesn't have any blue, it's probably burgundy or black. Even my eyeglass frames are blue. If you are familiar with color seasons, I'm a 'summer' and can get away with some 'winter' colors as well. What I can't do is earth tones. I'm not a fan of them, and they are not a fan of me.

One of my favorite lines from the show 'The Black List' is when James Spader's character says, "Agent Keen, I have a tip. You're a winter, not an autumn. Stop wearing olive." I still chuckle to think of it.

Well, all of this is to say that I find typical hat colors (especially Akubra) problematic. Most Akubra colors are decidedly 'autumn'. Yes, there are some greys, but they are only available with certain hats, and many are so dark as to be a shade of black. And a pure grey with no blue tones is not a 'summer' color either. Now I have no problem with black as a clothing color. I have quite a bit of it. But a black fedora has no 'fun' in it. It can rather look like a funeral.

So, I've started this thread because I suspect there are others here like me, and this may be a good place to share how you've addressed the issue. Found any cool hats in a greyish-blue (as opposed to blueish-grey)? Any Bespoke hatters that have more blue-tone fur felt options (other than dark Navy)?

My profile pic shows a Carbon Stylemaster dressed up to bring out some blue (and some fun). I also have an Everything Australian Adventurer in Graphite (looks black to me), that I put a cobalt blue ribbon on (I'll post a pic soon). I've given up on my Heritage Fawn Banjo Peterson and plan to sell it. I have a Leisure Time in Federation Navy on order from Australia to replace it and I'm excited to find out what that will look like. I also have a Scala Tempe Panama that I love the shape and fit of, but it has an olive band. I think I'm going to get rid of that too, or at least try to find a replacement band. I've ordered a Hemp Stratoliner Special Edition in Navy (may come in today!) that may be my Panama replacement.

If you share my frustrations, perhaps we can make enough noise in this thread that companies/hatters may take notice and provide more hats in our color palette. There's always hope.

I am a summer that loves blues but also attracted to earth tones especially orange/burnt umber and other colours that I should not be wearing.......but I do and I enjoy wearing them. No one has ever approached me and said....'Dude, that colour sucks on you!'. ....not even my wife!

I've Got The Blues

Obviously some items go better with others and some colors compliment others. Some colors/tones might also go better with hair color or skin tone. However, I can’t say I’m much of a believer in sticking to a color palette based on what “season” you are. To me, it seems contrived and artificial. I do see cool colors and warm colors and how one can work wardrobe elements together for a more harmonious outcome, but the only colors I avoid are colors that I think would look equally bad an anyone. Then again I’m a Gemini and we can be fickle ;)

Most custom hatters have access to Winchester’s “powder blue” color felt. Blue smoke might have been something for you, but it is a special run color that used to be proprietary to VS; it’s not commonly available. You can visit Agnoulita on Etsy and find his offers of Tonak rabbit fur felt hat bodies (I’m fond of the “marine blue“ in the antelope/suede finish). Have you looked at FEPSA’s “gunsmoke?” You should also check out Sunrise’s nutria in “gunmetal” (use the photos in the sunrise thread rather then the Sunrise website).

Jacora

Familiar Face
Obviously some items go better with others and some colors compliment others. Some colors/tones might also go better with hair color or skin tone. However, I can’t say I’m much of a believer in sticking to a color palette based on what “season” you are. To me, it seems contrived and artificial. I do see cool colors and warm colors and how one can work wardrobe elements together for a more harmonious outcome, but the only colors I avoid are colors that I think would look equally bad an anyone. Then again I’m a Gemini and we can be fickle ;)

Most custom hatters have access to Winchester’s “powder blue” color felt. Blue smoke might have been something for you, but it is a special run color that used to be proprietary to VS; it’s not commonly available. You can visit Agnoulita on Etsy and find his offers of Tonak rabbit fur felt hat bodies (I’m fond of the “marine blue“ in the antelope/suede finish). Have you looked at FEPSA’s “gunsmoke?” You should also check out Sunrise’s nutria in “gunmetal” (use the photos in the sunrise thread rather then the Sunrise website).
That's great info, thank you! I haven't gotten to the point yet of buying my own hat bodies to give to a hatter, but you never know!
To be clear, I'm not trying to adhere to a color palette 'season' because it's "supposed to be" right. I'm just using it as shorthand for what I already know works for me. In any case, I know earth tones don't work for me. For example, I really wanted my Banjo Peterson (in Heritage Fawn) to work, but it just doesn't look right with most of my clothes (and my face). For shirts, most shades of blue work (in that I like the way they look next to my face), as long as they are not too light or as long as they don't lean towards green. Since that is what I most often wear (and I'm not a sport coat guy), I am most interested in hats that work with that.

That's great info, thank you! I haven't gotten to the point yet of buying my own hat bodies to give to a hatter, but you never know!
To be clear, I'm not trying to adhere to a color palette 'season' because it's "supposed to be" right. I'm just using it as shorthand for what I already know works for me. In any case, I know earth tones don't work for me. For example, I really wanted my Banjo Peterson (in Heritage Fawn) to work, but it just doesn't look right with most of my clothes (and my face). For shirts, most shades of blue work (in that I like the way they look next to my face), as long as they are not too light or as long as they don't lean towards green. Since that is what I most often wear (and I'm not a sport coat guy), I am most interested in hats that work with that.

I get it.
You don’t have to buy the hat body, just tell your hatter what you want. Agnoulita can make you a custom hat for around $200, but you’ll be limited on types of felt (wool and rabbit with a very few hare felts thrown in). I have high hopes for the Sunrise nutria in gunmetal.

Jacora

Familiar Face
This is how I gave my Adventurer the blues:
20201003_094712.jpg

Jacora

Familiar Face
I get it.
You don’t have to buy the hat body, just tell your hatter what you want. Agnoulita can make you a custom hat for around $200, but you’ll be limited on types of felt (wool and rabbit with a very few hare felts thrown in). I have high hopes for the Sunrise nutria in gunmetal.
That Sunrise nutria in gunmetal (220) looks cool. I also like the cobalt on their website. But you say their website photo colors are off? Would you happen to have a better pic of the cobalt?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What an interesting thread, something that I have never given thought to previously. Do I have the blues? Oh yes, but then I'm fair haired, (or was when I was younger,) with blue eyes, but that doesn't mean that I exclude colours that are of an earth nature.

As for blue hats, I only have three, a light blue and white pin stripe, summer trilby, a deep navy felt fedora and a Panama straw with a royal blue hatband. Just for good measure I have three pairs of blue shoes. One pair of royal blue and white spectators, one pair of navy and ivory, two tone, 1930's correspondence and a much more subtle, some might say sober, pair of dark blue gibsons.

In my wardrobe there's a number of various blue shirts of differing hues, all with white collars and white cuffs, and I have a small collection of blue patterned neck ties. You will find a dark blue with a fine white pin stripe Zoot suit as well as a light blue, linen, 1930's summer suit.

Blue though, much as I like it, is just one shade of the colour spectrum, I have clothes, hats and shoes in just about every colour, the bottle green and cream two tone spectator shoes get the most compliments, or at least, remarks. And as Loungers will testify, I have an Aloha shirt collection in every colour of the rainbow, and a good few more besides.

What an interesting thread, something that I have never given thought to previously. Do I have the blues? Oh yes, but then I'm fair haired, (or was when I was younger,) with blue eyes, but that doesn't mean that I exclude colours that are of an earth nature.

As for blue hats, I only have three, a light blue and white pin stripe, summer trilby, a deep navy felt fedora and a Panama straw with a royal blue hatband. Just for good measure I have three pairs of blue shoes. One pair of royal blue and white spectators, one pair of navy and ivory, two tone, 1930's correspondence and a much more subtle, some might say sober, pair of dark blue gibsons.

In my wardrobe there's a number of various blue shirts of differing hues, all with white collars and white cuffs, and I have a small collection of blue patterned neck ties. You will find a dark blue with a fine white pin stripe Zoot suit as well as a light blue, linen, 1930's summer suit.

Blue though, much as I like it, is just one shade of the colour spectrum, I have clothes, hats and shoes in just about every colour, the bottle green and cream two tone spectator shoes get the most compliments, or at least, remarks. And as Loungers will testify, I have an Aloha shirt collection in every colour of the rainbow, and a good few more besides.

It’s good to see you posting here in the hat threads. I could use a dose of your optimism and classic ensembles.

Jacora

Familiar Face
Are you looking for a stiff/firm western hat or do you want a fedora? I don’t have a cobalt, and I’m afraid it’s a bit too blue for me.
Hmm. I thought the firm/stiff vs. soft, and the western vs. fedora questions were independent of each other. But maybe I don't fully understand how you are using the terms. My only experience with fur felt hats comes from my three Akubras. A Stylemaster, an Adventurer, and a Banjo Peterson. I call all three of them fedoras, though perhaps the Banjo is considered an Aussie country hat (does that make it "western"?. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they all have what would be called firm/stiff felt, and I am not looking for anything softer than they are.

I suppose some people who spend the extra money for a bespoke hat may think of it like fine jewelry that may only come out on special occasions. Perhaps in the same vein as owning a nice tuxedo even though it is not worn very often. My attitude about a custom hat is actually the exact opposite. I would get it with the intent that it was what I wore most often, and would become part of my signature style. But I think anything that gets that much use would need extra durability, so I think firm/stiff would be the only way to go for me. I associate fine/soft with delicate, and I definitely don't want something that needs to be babied.

Mm25

One Too Many
For quite a while I chased the idea of a blue hat. I ended up with a Gannon that is darker than I would like and a powder blue Stetson that is a bit lighter. Enjoy your hunt.

Hmm. I thought the firm/stiff vs. soft, and the western vs. fedora questions were independent of each other. But maybe I don't fully understand how you are using the terms. My only experience with fur felt hats comes from my three Akubras. A Stylemaster, an Adventurer, and a Banjo Peterson. I call all three of them fedoras, though perhaps the Banjo is considered an Aussie country hat (does that make it "western"?. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they all have what would be called firm/stiff felt, and I am not looking for anything softer than they are.

I suppose some people who spend the extra money for a bespoke hat may think of it like fine jewelry that may only come out on special occasions. Perhaps in the same vein as owning a nice tuxedo even though it is not worn very often. My attitude about a custom hat is actually the exact opposite. I would get it with the intent that it was what I wore most often, and would become part of my signature style. But I think anything that gets that much use would need extra durability, so I think firm/stiff would be the only way to go for me. I associate fine/soft with delicate, and I definitely don't want something that needs to be babied.

The 220g felts are stiff western felts. They are intended for “cowboy” style hats. They can be used for fedoras too, but you’ll have thicker and firmer felt than most of us want on a fedora.
That said, my 220g natural was not nearly as stiff as my first two 220g nutria felts.

Currently, the 150g felts are not available in cobalt. The 150g felt that I bought is a soft felt that I think would require the addition of some stiffener to approximate the Akubra felt you mentioned.

There are all sorts of customs. Some of mine are special hats not frequently worn, and some are daily drivers. For a fedora I want a less stiff hat as it is considered a “soft felt” hat. Western and outdoors hats, including those styled similar to a fedora, can use the firmer western weight felt (speaking for myself). I’m having a 3 1/2” brim hat using the 220g nutria in the “natural” color made by Gannon and I have a 3 1/4” brim being made by The Phoenix Hat Co. that should be ready very soon. Currently, I only have one finished hat using the 220g nutria and it’s in the “almond” color and was made by VS. The VS hat is western stiff, much stiffer than say a Campdraft, Bushman, or Stylemaster. However, from the unfinished hat body I knew it was going to be stiff/firm western felt. The natural hat body started out much softer. My Phoenix hat is in the “pewter” color and the hatter worked very hard to pounce the felt and manage the stiffness to get it as close as possible to the type of felt I want: more like the vintage Clear Beaver western felt. I’m excited to see how it turns out.

My only 150g nutria felt is still in the hatter’s queue and I have no idea on how it’s going to turn out. If the dimensions work for you (the 150g felts are smaller), then I think that’s the way to go with stiffeners added to get you what you want, but they are limited in color options.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

To be pedantic about it a fedora is, by definition, a soft felt hat. In the old days, industry terminology delineated between "soft felt" and "stiff felt" hats, the latter comprising of Bowler/Derby hats primarily.

These days there are fewer options for felts, but they generally fall under "dress weight" and "western weight" categories. Akubra is kind of off an island, so to speak, as they offer two grades of felt (Imperial or Heritage) and Australian hats are their own thing.

All of that having been said, there is of course a spectrum between manufacturers and models. Akubra hats do tend to be stiffer than say a modern Stetson or Borsalino. The stiffness of the felt is not necessarily indicative of the quality, however. This is not intended as a jab against Akubra, they make a very good, quality product. Merely to point out that softer felts aren't necessarily lower quality.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Jacora

Familiar Face
Here's a blue beastie from The Wise Hatter described as "Asymmetrical wide brim western fedora in Steel Grey with dark navy leather band." Sure looks a lot more blue than grey to me.

View attachment 267903
Contacted the hatter about this one. He said it's 50/50 beaver/rabbit, and he want's a mere $1000 to make one. Holy bespoke! Waaay too rich for my blood! I can't imagine walking around with a $1000 bill on my head.

Here's a blue beastie from The Wise Hatter described as "Asymmetrical wide brim western fedora in Steel Grey with dark navy leather band." Sure looks a lot more blue than grey to me.

View attachment 267903

Here’s a couple of my Agfrom up thread (after the merge with the My Blue Heaven thread). The darker is marine blue in suede finish and the lighter is royal blue...too much of a good thing! The Royal has moved on:
A4319C89-DB2E-4C5D-803D-0D2B691FD7C6.jpeg
ADEF4BAB-51E9-41DA-8FCF-0BC6E8F07CF9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner