Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hmm. I thought the firm/stiff vs. soft, and the western vs. fedora questions were independent of each other. But maybe I don't fully understand how you are using the terms. My only experience with fur felt hats comes from my three Akubras. A Stylemaster, an Adventurer, and a Banjo Peterson. I call all three of them fedoras, though perhaps the Banjo is considered an Aussie country hat (does that make it "western"?. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they all have what would be called firm/stiff felt, and I am not looking for anything softer than they are.

I suppose some people who spend the extra money for a bespoke hat may think of it like fine jewelry that may only come out on special occasions. Perhaps in the same vein as owning a nice tuxedo even though it is not worn very often. My attitude about a custom hat is actually the exact opposite. I would get it with the intent that it was what I wore most often, and would become part of my signature style. But I think anything that gets that much use would need extra durability, so I think firm/stiff would be the only way to go for me. I associate fine/soft with delicate, and I definitely don't want something that needs to be babied.
If you get a bespoke hat in beaver felt it def doesn't need to be babied. After all the rodent known as beaver lives in water. They are durable and even if they get beat up quality fur felt is amazingly resilient.

It cleans up so well and relatively easily. Rand Custom Hatters has a facebook page and from time to time they show hats worn so much, beat up so badly they look like candidates for the waste bin. Then they show the 'after' refurb pic and a like new hat. I am in the process of cleaning a bunch of hats for DeadlyHandsome and then installing new sweats and ribbon. The more I work with fur felt the more respect I have for it. Amazing stuff.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be pedantic about it a fedora is, by definition, a soft felt hat. In the old days, industry terminology delineated between "soft felt" and "stiff felt" hats, the latter comprising of Bowler/Derby hats primarily.

Interesting observation JLee. I've always (right or wrong in the Webster's sense) defined a Fedora in crown and brim as opposed to "soft" or "stiff". A bowler is a different shape, and is still, and has a curled edge. I never considered that the softness of the felt was a part of the definition. I also never thought of a Cowboy hat being DEFINED by "stiff", but again by size. Unless you're a cone head from Saturday Night Live, having a really floppy 4 inch brim makes you blind.

Dictionary.com "a soft felt hat with a curled brim, worn with the crown creased lengthwise."

Later

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Interesting observation JLee. I've always (right or wrong in the Webster's sense) defined a Fedora in crown and brim as opposed to "soft" or "stiff". A bowler is a different shape, and is still, and has a curled edge. I never considered that the softness of the felt was a part of the definition. I also never thought of a Cowboy hat being DEFINED by "stiff", but again by size. Unless you're a cone head from Saturday Night Live, having a really floppy 4 inch brim makes you blind.

Dictionary.com "a soft felt hat with a curled brim, worn with the crown creased lengthwise."

Later

It's all a bit jumbled because we are mixing modern and older terminology. But for example, if you look at the early 1900's Stetson Catalog that Justin shared with the lounge, none of the hats listed are described as either "fedoras" or "cowboy" hats. All the "Stiff hats" are Bowler/Derby shapes. The hats we might think of as "fedoras" are listed under "novelties" and "flange brims." Admittedly, this is a very academic, pedantic point. This Stetson dealer price list has also been posted previously:

Later
Yes, by the strict definition I have some western hats posing as fedoras that I have commissioned from NWHats and VS and others.

Here is a pic of a blue hat on the block. It is one of Art's BlueSmoke beaver felts. Don't hate me but I am thinking of a stingy brim similar to the Granite one in the other pic. I wear is a super casual hat I thro
CIMG2004.JPG
CIMG2005.JPG
w on my head when I go out for groceries. But maybe not the back bow on this one

Here is a pic of a blue hat on the block. It is one of Art's BlueSmoke beaver felts. Don't hate me but I am thinking of a stingy brim similar to the Granite one in the other pic. I wear is a super casual hat I thro View attachment 268339 View attachment 268341 w on my head when I go out for groceries. But maybe not the back bow on this one

By “stingy brim” do you mean something less than 2 3/4 inches?

I am getting cold feet on the stingy part. May go 2 1/2" with a good brim curl that stays up. Not sure I have the courage to cut a brim to less than the 2 1/2" on principle.

I hear you. I’ve also grown fond of a nice curled brim. I was really disappointed when I couldn’t get a Leon Drexler Milaner. Something classy about the curled brim.

Apollo

Familiar Face
Having recently purchased two blue hats...I found I owned more blue than I thought.....so....I decided to corral them together....they got along reasonably well.:rolleyes: Here they are all together!
View attachment 165073
Then there is on the left a modern production Selentino in a medium blue, along with a fairly recent Stetson Firenze satin finish in navy . The finish on the Firenze is awesome and the felt soft......got lucky on that one.
View attachment 165074
Then there is a early 40's Adam Executive Homburg on the left along with an early 70's Canadian Stetson with a cool three row stiched brim edge.
View attachment 165075
And now an unusual modern production Stetson Whippet in navy with a extra wide brim binding on the left (really soft felt too) along with a ?70's? Imperial Stetson Key Club in ultimate finish (suede). The felt on this one really blew me away, THIN, LIGHT AND MOLDS LIKE CLAY!:eek::) Only much older vintage have I found felt this nice, and the suede finish......AND a 2 5/8 brim........WOW!:):):)
View attachment 165077
The box in the pictures came with the Key Club. Here is a side view showing the shark gill ribbon treatment.
View attachment 165080
As per usual with hat pictures, all the hats are much darker than in the pictures, except perhaps the Selentino which is closer to the color in the photos, but still darker.
Good day

would you be willing to share picture wearing the Firenze?
Thanks

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I would like to share a couple of blue hued Stetson Stratoliners with you today.

I am out arranging the wood coals in order to slow roast a leg of lamb. A vintage Stetson Stratoliner was the hat I picked off the hat rack. This is a gray/blue felt. Definitely a hue of blue is in the felt.

i-DXkr2PR-M.jpg

The camera is "biased" by my blue shirt. The underbrim showcases a better "real hue."

i-3Xbx3hN-M.jpg

I was intrigued by this "blue" and arranged a pic of the Stetson Stratoliner in cadet blue and this gray/blue hat . The cadet blue is so defined by the magazine advertisements of the hat. The magazine adverts mention steel blue, blue, charcoal, grey and others. Which exact color is this one? I am still seeking the answer.

Here are the hats side by side.

i-ZgpCmZR-M.jpg

i-WtGQcNv-M.jpg

Cadet blue.

i-Rd9VGgJ-M.jpg

The gray/blue felt is pictured below.

i-Xk4RNSL-M.jpg

i-DCG8wbB-M.jpg

Thanks for coming along on my curious "blue" journey.

Best wishes, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana