Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Aero NYPD/Highwayman Hybrid in memory of my Indian Police Chief Grandfather

Navin323i

Practically Family
I can't believe this day has finally arrived. I ordered the jacket on March 18 and received the jacket yesterday, June 8... just a few days less than 12 weeks.

This is my first horsehide leather jacket... I love the scent of the jacket and I especially love the rigidity of the jacket. I didn't know what to expect in regards to how stiff the jacket would be but it does not bother me at all... I wish all my leather jackets were this stiff. I feel like I get a good workout wearing the jacket... I look forward to SLOWLY breaking this jacket in.

I want to personally thank Mark Moye, Amanda, Will and Moira (who made my jacket)... this is definitely the best fitting leather jacket I've ever worn!

Details of the jacket:

1) Black Front Quarter Horsehide
2) Delete woolen storm cuffs
3) Delete side vents and snaps -- make with Highwayman style buckles/straps instead
4) Lining: Black Cotton Drill Cloth
5) Hardware: Bright Brass
6) Labels: Standard white "police", "horsehide" and size in neck area as standard
7) Add inside left body horizontal top loading snap pocket (with leather reinforcement border) into the lining.
8) Above this pocket sew our standard color 'plane, car, cycle' label.
9) Stitch personalized leather tag at the standard location at bottom of jacket and include numerical day in addition to month and year.

My new Aero police jacket is dedicated in loving memory to my grandfather, a police chief, good cop, and hardworking/loving father of 6 kids (my mom being the youngest). Sadly he died 3 years before I was born. I'm proud to say I look so much like him. I can never follow in his footsteps to be a cop because of my heart condition, but I can and will follow in his footsteps to be a good father and husband as he was.
NavinAeroPolice1.jpg

This is the only thing I have from his police uniform... a badge that would have been located on his shoulder boards.
TataBadge2.jpg

Onto the pictures of my jacket (you can see the Highwayman style buckles and straps in some of the pics)...

NavinAeroPolice2.jpg

NavinAeroPolice3.jpg

NavinAeroPolice4.jpg

NavinAeroPolice5.jpg

Note: I had Aero include the exact day my jacket was made. Normally they put the month and year only. Aero sent me a second personalized label... not sure if this is normal or not but I don't mind, especially in case the current label falls off or gets damaged somehow.
Also I liked the Aero label with the red car so much I had them include this along with the standard police label they normally use for the NYPD jacket.
NavinAeroPolice6.jpg

Closeup of the brass police button. Prior to receiving my jacket I had no idea what design was on the button.
NavinAeroPolice7.jpg

I love this picture! Good old rigid horsehide makes my jacket proudly stand up.
NavinAeroPolice8.jpg

Navin323i

Practically Family
Pictures continued...

NavinAeroPolice9.jpg

In the next set of pictures where I'm wearing the jacket, I'm also wearing a vintage Karnataka State Police Hat (Karnataka is the state in India where my parents are originally from) that I found on eBay recently along with the shoulder boards. Looks good with my new police jacket.

KSP-Hat1.jpg

KSP-Hat2.jpg

NavinAeroPolice9a.jpg

NavinAeroPolice9b.jpg

NavinAeroPolice9c.jpg

NavinAeroPolice9d.jpg

NavinAeroPolice9e.jpg

Normally I don't wear eyeglasses in the pictures I'm in, however in anticipation of my new Aero jacket I decided to get eyeglasses that not only compliment the color of the jacket but also stay true to who I am.
My new rimless eyeglasses are made of the same carbon fiber material that my mechanical heart components are made from... by far the best eyeglasses I've ever worn and the lightest too.

cfTag3.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! A very classy looking jacket, destined to become your best friend.

Edward

Bartender
Superb fit. This is the first of this model of Aero I have seen on a person (as opposed to the photos of the jacket, unworn, on their site), and they really have nailed the look of it IMO. Beret looks good with it!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
Your grandfather has a great air of authority in that photograph! Any photos of him showing his complete uniform?

You sir have paid me the ultimate compliment... thank you so much! :)

Unfortunately I don't believe any other photos exist with him in his uniform, but I'll double-check with my mom.

Unfortunately his uniform was in storage at some point after he retired in the 1960s and I was told that the uniform was either destroyed by moths or possibly stolen by robbers who stole other household stuff belonging to my mom's family that was at the same storage center. :(

Navin323i

Practically Family
Windward said:
YES - everyone can see this is YOUR Jacket - congrat! Great fit! :eusa_clap

Thanks Windward! I must say though that you and the other Aero Leather jacket owners here inspired me... your dedication and passion for this leather jacket brand fueled my passion, and for that I thank you. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Edward said:
Superb fit. This is the first of this model of Aero I have seen on a person (as opposed to the photos of the jacket, unworn, on their site), and they really have nailed the look of it IMO. Beret looks good with it!

Thanks Edward!! :)

You just reminded me of something... I forgot to mention why I went with Aero for a police jacket versus any other police leather jacket brand.

Given the era that my grandfather was a cop (i.e. India having been a British colony back then, plus the fact that horsehide leather jackets were more widely used back then) it only made sense for me to go with Aero versus any other brand.

It's scary to think that had I not stumbled upon our fedora lounge site here when I did my initial search of Schott horsehide cafe jackets, I would never have known about Aero Leather and most likely would never have had the pleasure of living this moment now with my new Aero police jacket in honor of my grandfather. Things surely happen for a reason. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Navin;
You did a splendid job on the customization. The fit looks great on you. I'm sure your Grandfather is very proud of you being the good husband and father that we all strive to be. Super jacket!
Regards...........coffee

P.S. I like the glasses also!

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Tha's an outstanding jacket Naveen!
Congratulations!!:eusa_clap
I'm working with Amanda now to order my Custom made Aero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24