Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Tailor Disaster - Hold those orders!

I was going to start a thread about my recent order from mycustomtailor.com, but I wanted to just get this one going to warn everyone about a problem I encountered with their suits.

I got this white suit drycleaned ONCE, and it is now stained in several spots. It seems that some of the cheap buttons they use do not hold up to standard drycleaning fluid.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

The drycleaner immediately knew she had a disaster on her hands, but couldn't do anything about it. She said she had never seen it happen before. The blue dye from the buttons then got all over the trousers, resulting in spots all about. Here is just one of many.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

In an effort to save the jacket, she removed all the buttons from it before cleaning, and there was no damage. So now I have a new suit with no buttons and blue spots all over the trousers.

I wrote to mct yesterday, telling them I expect a refund. I'll let keep you posted. In the meantime, I'd say hold off on any orders.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh Jack, I am so sorry to hear this. And it's a real shame because that fabric looks really nice. What sort of suit was it?

I hope they remediate your problem. They certainly should.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
They should express gratitude!!!

You would never know on a dark suit...How could mycustom know?

They should express gratitude in saving them and other customers future grief.

Hope the right thing is done!!!

Bleedin buttons (could be a new term refering to an unexpected/unforeseen problem)

Yeah, that was one of the two I had to send back because they were too big. They came back with the right cut (I was going to post pics), and now this happened. Funny how I was thinking I absolutely hated the buttons and I was going to have them replaced with horn. I wish I had! Now I have to go through this rigamarole.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That sucks... That just royally sucks. It's the button manufacturer in my book, though I don't know if My Custom tailor could have known this would happen. First you were telling me how the dry cleaners couldn't take shoe polish out of white trousers, and now this... it's too much clothes turmoil.

They shouldn;t be selling a product with a drooling button color. You'd think they'd already know about the problem.

Hope it all ends up okay... seems you need some clothes remade.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well Ratsin' Fratsin'

That had to be a stunner when the dry cleaner's informed you.
"Sorry, Sir, but the buttons have burped their dye all over their surroundings."

I'm sure My Custom Tailor will make it right. They may file you under "PITA" after two major complaints, but they're surely fix it.

Will the unwanted color come out of the trowsers? Can they be saved? Are they wool or something else?

Bad luck, that. I feel for you.

The material is the Super 120s. The cleaner tried to remove the stains twice but they will not come out.

Overall, I'm getting to feel a bit disappointed with online tailoring. Shirts I got have shrunk more than expected. I received one that was missing a buttonhole on one sleeve. I've had to send all my suits back for alterations. I'm kind of getting tired of shipping them back at MY expense. Then when they come back, I have to pay duty on them again.

I'm going to argue with them this time. I don't even want to deal with the hassle of sending them back before refund. If they want to send a DHL truck over to pick it up, that's fine, but I've been more than accomodating to them, and here I am, the customer!

As opposed to this, in a brief bout of madness, I had an Italian suit made through a habadasher here in NY. He took all of four measurements and I got this beautiful suit in three weeks. Hard to see in the picture, but it has black pinstripes. I know a large portion of what I paid went for his rent, but disregarding that, the suit is of FAR superior quality to the Bangkok job. I also didn't have to deal with all the hassles, which probably added up to about 20 hours of my time, so figure a half-weeks pay.

DSCF0012.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

That suit was through "Phil's 1908". He's only set up shop a few years ago. As soon as I went in, I knew I made a mistake because I was going to spend money I don't have, and now have to hustle up some work to get.

He's focusing on the mod look, much like Duncan Quinn was doing before he went totally rock and roll. As soon as I saw the material, I knew I had to have it - thus the madness. We worked together to come up with the design. High two button, high armhole. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for me) he's not doing any double breasted.

I also got a great sportcoat from there. One of those things that was 'on sale' that he had to show me, and fit me perfectly. I'll post a pic of that later.

Yeah, I have to hustle up some work.:eusa_doh:

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While the cleaners tried spot cleaning (I'm assuming from your write-up) I'm wondering if perhaps running the pans through a regular cycle, perhaps in the fluid longer than normal, might re-dissolve the stains. But how heart-breaking. As others have said - how could the dry cleaner know, and putting those same buttons on a dark suit would never reveal the problem. Or they'd put stains on light or white items in the same cleaning batch, and when the spots are noticed, you probably couldn't track down where they came from.

Certianly, the ethics of your kin is a rarity, Lower40. I've never been to one cleaner that has taken responsibility for ruining a garment. I've given them explicit directions to not press shirts from the outside and they do anyway, which leaves that terrible shine on the shirt. 'Not our fault' they say. I ask them to remove stains that I know would come out with a little work, and then I get the garment back with the same stain. 'Not our fault' they say. I may be wrong, but I thought the whole purpose of a dry cleaner was to get stains out. They seem to think differently.

The cleaners in Manhattan is charging me $80(!) to clean just the trousers. As I wrote, the suit is new, and a double breasted, so I want to save it. I'm going to forward the bill to MCT, and see how they respond. I may have to ask for a chargeback through my credit card company. I'm picking up the trousers after the holiday, and I'll report back.

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the suit. I thought it would be a great summer suit, but it's either been far too hot or rainy to wear it much. Looks like it's going to sit around till next spring.

Regards,

Senator Jack

nightandthecity

Practically Family
terrible stuff Jack. I'm really sorry.

Another reason to stick with vintage, any problems have usually been resolved already!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WEEGEE said:
You would never know on a dark suit...How could mycustom know?

The thing is - they should know and they're totally responsible to make good with Jack. If their supplier sent the wrong kind of buttons, then they can get recompense from them. They should be buying buttons that are dry-clean compatible. It's a sign of cutting corners or worse, using shoddy suppliers. Their responsibility is to make sure their product's safe and compatible with everyday usage by the customer. Buying non-colorfast buttons that won't stand up to normal dry cleaning is a huge error. Quite frankly, their attitude with Senator Jack wasn't one of trying to please the customer - it was trying to shirk responsibility.

Think about all the people with stained, light colored items that were batched with one suit with the wrong kind of buttons. Yep, the suit's fine, but what about staining on the other items in the batch? You've probably got dry cleaners all over the country with items coming out stained because of some cheap buttons.

I haven't bought in the past nor will I buy in the future from mycustomtailor.com until or unless I hear there's a satisfactory resolution. But if I were a customer, I'd be sending them an email saying I wouldn't be buying until their was a satisfactory resolution posted here on FL.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Senator Jack said:
DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0004-1.jpg

In an effort to save the jacket, she removed all the buttons from it before cleaning, and there was no damage. So now I have a new suit with no buttons and blue spots all over the trousers.

I wrote to mct yesterday, telling them I expect a refund. I'll let keep you posted. In the meantime, I'd say hold off on any orders.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Im SO sorry for that disaster! My grandmother was often paranoid that something like that would happen, and she would often remove buttons from her garments before.

They BETTER give you a full refund, or a new pair of lacks.
Not for nothin, the suit looks mighty fine.

LD

Filthy

Suspended
Awesome!!!!

Senator Jack said:
The material is the Super 120s. The cleaner tried to remove the stains twice but they will not come out.

Overall, I'm getting to feel a bit disappointed with online tailoring. Shirts I got have shrunk more than expected. I received one that was missing a buttonhole on one sleeve. I've had to send all my suits back for alterations. I'm kind of getting tired of shipping them back at MY expense. Then when they come back, I have to pay duty on them again.

I'm going to argue with them this time. I don't even want to deal with the hassle of sending them back before refund. If they want to send a DHL truck over to pick it up, that's fine, but I've been more than accomodating to them, and here I am, the customer!

As opposed to this, in a brief bout of madness, I had an Italian suit made through a habadasher here in NY. He took all of four measurements and I got this beautiful suit in three weeks. Hard to see in the picture, but it has black pinstripes. I know a large portion of what I paid went for his rent, but disregarding that, the suit is of FAR superior quality to the Bangkok job. I also didn't have to deal with all the hassles, which probably added up to about 20 hours of my time, so figure a half-weeks pay.

DSCF0012.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

SJ,

You've got my vote in this look!!! You look like John Travolta (but angrier) in Saturday Night Fever!!! He's my all-time favorite!!!

I would wear this look with a white wide-brimmed hat with a black ribbon, going for that whole Travolta-meets-Truman Capote vibe, maybe add some big sunglasses and higher heeled shoes, maybe a walking stick! This look is so NYC it hurts! You must solicit a lot of looks and compliments in this as you stroll the alleyways and streets of Greenwhich Village and Alphabet City and all those fab NYC burrows - my kind of town!! Three cheers!!

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

Thanks, FS. I really do need a white hat with it - currently wearing the black. I have been getting stopped on the street in this suit. I keep getting the Scarface comments, but when I got it, I was thinking Alec Guinness!

Picking up the bleached pants tomorrow a.m. Will report.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy