Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Diplomat" overcoat. I hope it fits right.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Okay, so I recently won a really decent overcoat that I thought would go well with my newly acquired Mallory Homburg that I recently sent to Chicago(btw, how long does it take before OPTIMO contacts me after they receive my hat?).
77bb_1.JPG

It's a little different than what I normally look for as it's a single breasted coat and much shorter than my norm; only 41" in length.

Now the guy mentions in the description that it's from the 50's and like I always do, I went searching around on the net for anything regarding "Diplomat Coating" or "Barron Anderson". As anticipated, I found nothing, what a surprise. [huh]
86c4_1.JPG
8177_1.JPG

So was "Diplomat Coating" a prevalent force doing the 50's or earlier or maybe even later? Does anyone else here have another example of the companies work. I'm wondering how impressed or unimpressed I'll be when I receive this coat in a few days. So far as I can tell, it looks like a rather fine coat. Have a good one all.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Well, I got my Diplomat today and am truly bummed. It's such a great coat, but too small and definately not the color I thought I was receiving. :( I'll be putting this up with a Dobbs "stingy" next week.
HPIM2383.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Oh, what a shame! I'm sorry to hear that my friend!

Maybe you'll find a better one.

Personally I don't think I could wear that. I try not to wear any coats that look too much like suit jackets.

just_me

Practically Family
Just curious - which one of you flopped the photograph? The coat buttons opposite in your photo than in the ebay photo.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to read that it didn't fit well, Manny. I have one suggestion though you may have already considered it.

I have the same problem with a 46 XL Aquascutum grey herringbone wool single-breasted topcoat that I recently acquired. The same size in a Burberry fits just fine but this one is a tad snug. However, I may just have the buttons moved. Sometimes this works if it doesn't ruin the line of the coat. In some cases. I've even found that the previous owner moved the buttons in so that moving them out actually improved the line of the coat.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, that's a great idea Carter, thanks. I'm afraid that won't work with this coat though. It fits me with a t-shirt, but with a suit, no dice. I think it's a 41-42S, hell I'm almost certain it is. The guys dimensions were incorrect, at least through the chest it was.

carter

I'll Lock Up
mannySpaghetti said:
Hmmm, that's a great idea Carter, thanks. I'm afraid that won't work with this coat though. It fits me with a t-shirt, but with a suit, no dice. I think it's a 41-42S, hell I'm almost certain it is. The guys dimensions were incorrect, at least through the chest it was.

Manny, If the seller posted incorrect measurements, why not let them know and ask for a refund? Most sellers I've dealt with are willing to do this with the return of the merchandise. In some cases, I've accepted a partial refund of my payment so both the seller and I avoid the cost and time involved in returning, relisting, etc. It's worth a try.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
mannySpaghetti said:
I recently sent to Chicago(btw, how long does it take before OPTIMO contacts me after they receive my hat?).

I've been wondering the same thing. My search for site:www.thefedoralounge.com Optimo "how long" never did yield a good answer.

Its a lot easier to be patient if you know how long you can expect to be patient!

Thanks for any help

Edward

Bartender
mannySpaghetti said:

I'm increasingly turned off buying from ebay (unless stuff turns up silly cheap) where the auction relies on sizing provided by the seller. It's unbelievable how many folks believe that, for instance, a jacket with a 42" pit to pit measurement equates to a 42R Chest Size.... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy