Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first fedora

Robert Metheney

New in Town
My grandfather was born in 1899. He worked in a lumber mill most of his life. When he came to our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas he wore a three-piece pin-stripped suit, cuff-links, a silk tie with a gold horizontal piece near the knot of the tie, I don't know what that is called. He also wore a Navy blue fedora. I admired the way he looked. There was just something remarkable about him. A humble gentleman in the best tradition. He did not dress well to impress, he dressed well because he was a polite gentleman.

I can't be him, I don't like to wear a three piece suit. I like my short-cut suede leather jacket with more zippers than needed. However, I want to add a fedora to my hat collection, a high quality fedora.

I don't want to look silly, ripped jeans with a fedora is not the look I want. Wool slacks, polished shoes, and a handsome long sleeved shirt is more my style. Will a fedora be out of place on my head? I hope not!

I am open to suggestions for my first high-quality fedora.

Bob

Eliesti

A-List Customer
My grandfather was born in 1899. He worked in a lumber mill most of his life. When he came to our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas he wore a three-piece pin-stripped suit, cuff-links, a silk tie with a gold horizontal piece near the knot of the tie, I don't know what that is called. He also wore a Navy blue fedora. I admired the way he looked. There was just something remarkable about him. A humble gentleman in the best tradition. He did not dress well to impress, he dressed well because he was a polite gentleman.

I can't be him, I don't like to wear a three piece suit. I like my short-cut suede leather jacket with more zippers than needed. However, I want to add a fedora to my hat collection, a high quality fedora.

I don't want to look silly, ripped jeans with a fedora is not the look I want. Wool slacks, polished shoes, and a handsome long sleeved shirt is more my style. Will a fedora be out of place on my head? I hope not!

Bob

It won't be out of place with your look. I just got my first hat as well and was pointed in the direction of an Akubra Federation IV, which is available only at hatsdirect.com, by many people on this forum. I love my Fed IV. I was told it was the best value for your dollar and it did not disappoint. I got the brown one and am shooting for a Moonstone one next.

I hope you find something you love!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Bob

Hi Bob ! Welcome to the Lounge ! You won't look funny , but you do have to figure out what you like , and your dimensions . But I think its a comfort Zone bracket , check What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread , and kind of see what appeals to you . Even if something does , or whatever it might be you or another style might work better . Akubra for the money are the most affordable . everythingaustralian.com have the Best Prices , but different retailers offer different styles . The Fed IV is only offered at hatsdirect.com , but the Camp Draft is really good , the Fedora (also known as the Sydney Fedora on davidmorgan.com) is soft , different dimensions , 2 1/2" brim , where the Camp Draft is about 2 3/4" , plus other styles available . Stetson in the right grade are nice , but a lot more expensive . Personally I'd go for an Open Crown , so you can play with the crease and get it just like you want . Its not hard . Other companies of Hats , too , plus custom , many have threads here , and web sites . Art Fawcett has VS (Vintage Silhouettes), Mike Moore has Buckaroo Hatters , Rod Cane just decided on Alley Kat Hats for the name of his company , and a bunch more . Penman Hats , Black Sheep Hats , Northwest Hats , Peters Bros in Fort Worth . Take your time and look around is my advice , better to go slow and not get what suits you best , style and price . Get your size , too . Check youtube , Hats By The Hundred has vids with product reviews on Akubra Hats . Some retailers offer colors that are special order at others , too , on Akubra . Weird I know . Ask around , people will help . jjhatcenter.com , delmonicohatters.com , and others are good sites to check , also .

You find what you want . Happy Hunting !

Robert Metheney

New in Town
The multitude of options and styles is a bit overwhelming. I have several hats that I wear often. The one in the photo is styled from the 1860's. The pistol is an 1905 Harper's Ferry flintlock. I hope the pistol does not offend anyone. The hat I am wearing in the attached photo is the hot I wear most often.

Thank you for your many suggestions. As a short man, I think a shorter crown and not a wide brim would be better, right?

Attachments

• 111202.1742.0053.jpg
    111202.1742.0053.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 222

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
The multitude of options and styles is a bit overwhelming. I have several hats that I wear often. The one in the photo is styled from the 1860's. The pistol is an 1905 Harper's Ferry flintlock. I hope the pistol does not offend anyone. The hat I am wearing in the attached photo is the hot I wear most often.

Thank you for your many suggestions. As a short man, I think a shorter crown and not a wide brim would be better, right?

I don't know , I think it has to do with proportions . I've worn westerns all my life and 4" brims , and 6"+ crowns seem normal . I may look weird , but I'm comfortable . I bought a few dress hats , a couple of crowns seem too short to me , and I'm short . Plus it depends on the crease , too . I'm new to Fedoras , but just winging it . ... not a crime to offend anyone , or it wasn't . I wouldn't worry about that , weirdos everywhere these days . I just try to be kind , but people are offended by me ,and I get offended by others , but they make an issue out of it . I don't unless they're harming a child , a woman , or a defenseless person . A lot of stuff CP offends me and its criminal , but the "elite" are calling good evil ,and evil good (Isaiah 5:20 WOE !) , I'll tell em . You can tote the iron around me and I don't see anything wrong with it . 1st and 2nd Amendments are still in effect , and all the rest , no matter what SCOTUS , POTUS , or anyone say . There is a Supreme JUDGE that will judge , and they're not HIM .

Eliesti

A-List Customer

If you like that style and dress in a suit or sport coat regularly, a Homburg might be worth a look. Otherwise, do what you are comfortable with, which might just be a classic style of fedora such as the Stetson Open Road or Whippet. If you want to stick with Akubra as a good value pick, check out the Sydney and Stylemaster and perhaps the Campdraft (if you want an Open Road clone) in addition to the Fed IV I suggested previously. However, since you stated you like a more understated look, You may want to stay away from bound brim hats (like the Stylemaster) and stick with raw edge hats (like the Fed IV) as bound brims connote a slightly more formal tone.

If you can find a hat store nearby, you should definitely go try on a number of hats to see what looks good and what doesn't. You shouldn't feel pressured to buy from your local hat store just because you show up; rather, buy from them if you find something worthwhile and they gave you good service (even then, you could buy online if the price was significantly cheaper).

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
As a short man, I think a shorter crown and not a wide brim would be better, right?

absolutely not

I'm 5' 4" and very much prefer tall 6" crowns and brims at 2 1/2" plus ... preferably 2 5/8 to 2 3/4

don't put parameters on yourself and don't follow any "rules" you may find floating around here ... wear what you like and nothing less

check out some of my and Eric's @Short Balding Guy posts in the "what are you wearing..." thread

can't wait to see what you pick

absolutely not

I'm 5' 4" and very much prefer tall 6" crowns and brims at 2 1/2" plus ... preferably 2 5/8 to 2 3/4

don't put parameters on yourself and don't follow any "rules" you may find floating around here ... wear what you like and nothing less

check out some of my and Eric's @Short Balding Guy posts in the "what are you wearing..." thread

Very good points from Anthony. I'm a shortie too at 5'7" and I also like taller crowns. My brims max out at about 2 and 3/4, unless it's a Western.

EstherWeis

Vendor
I always look at the person's face shape.
I'm half giant and I wear all types of brims.
I have a customer and she fits right under my arm and she rocks the really big brims like no other.

As said by many before just look around to see what you like and try them out.
If you like them then wear them with confidence.
It's all a matter of personal preference, if you love a hat then go for it :)

Xylophile

One of the Regulars

Bob
I've had my first nice hat for a couple of weeks now, a bluegrass green camp draft available at everythingaustralian.com.au/campdraft-hat.html. I guess it looks as good on me as it does on the others who occasionally try it on. I enjoy it tremendously. I also have an akubra country club poly-straw panama style hat which is great in heat and that I often get compliments on. Fed IV in heritage fawn is probably next for me. All the tradition and history of hats is very good fun, I predict you'll love it!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
You know , it may be just me , but the guys (and beautiful young lady) on the Lounge would sell me faster , and make much better models (and DO) than the paid "models" Stetson and some others use to sell Hats . Everyone has their style , but they all look Great ! I see a Guy I respect his judgement , and like his Style , I'm Way More likely to get a particular Hat , or at least want to get one . There are some guys that can make almost any Hat a Winner , then others that nail a style . But THAT sells a Hat to me . The catalogue Models aren't believable , and don't look right .

Great Job Guys (and Gal) !

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
As we write, the thread "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" consists of 5000+ pages - each with many posts and pictures. That's a great place to seek inspiration.

An important thing to remember: Indy's hat may look great on Mr. Ford - not necessarily on you. At one time or another most of us have bought a hat, that looked so well on a musician, actor or friend. After a few weeks of wearing we realized, that the hat was just not right after all. Sometimes mirrors and eyes conspire to trick us - usually with a dash of dreaming mixed into the process ;)

When you see a really nice hat, don't forget to check if the wearer's facial features resemble you own. That'll give you better grounds to build your choices on.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
absolutely not

These words from 'Moon" are so full of wisdom and apply to many facets of our lives, not only hats....Thanks Moon, for once again 'nailing it'!!

But back to hats...Jimmy Cagney was a hat king, and at 5'5" he prefered Tall Crowns and 2" brims..But could strut them all....
And Bogart...who most would think was the quintessential large fedora model...was 5'8"...and he set the bar for styling those 2 1/2" to 3" brims...

I think Esther is so on the money, about face shapes having more to do with it.....And I feel, if you dig it, and don't allow it to wear you...you can make whatever hat you dig a part of you...Thats what you want, anyway....

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
As we write, the thread "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" consists of 5000+ pages - each with many posts and pictures. That's a great place to seek inspiration.

An important thing to remember: Indy's hat may look great on Mr. Ford - not necessarily on you. At one time or another most of us have bought a hat, that looked so well on a musician, actor or friend. After a few weeks of wearing we realized, that the hat was just not right after all. Sometimes mirrors and eyes conspire to trick us - usually with a dash of dreaming mixed into the process ;)

When you see a really nice hat, don't forget to check if the wearer's facial features resemble you own. That'll give you better grounds to build your choices on.
This!

William G.

One of the Regulars
Hey Robert! What are you wearing in your profile picture? It looks really good on you.

If you're like me, you'll find that when you buy a hat, it'll be easy to identify the things you do and don't like about it fairly quick. And you'll find another hat that has more of the characteristics you want. Rinse and repeat. I've got my eye on a Fed IV too. Good luck finding that first fedora, I hope you find one that's perfect for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles