Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first pompadour

clsecmbt

New in Town
Since I have thus far been able to afford and/or find a good fitting lid lately, I decided to go for the hairstyle I've always wanted.

For anyone who's worn one, how did you get your hair cut? I know my hair overall needs to be pretty long, but what about the back, and sides, etc?

...for some reason, I can't upload the file to the site.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Have it cut fairly close (1/8") on the sides and blended in right where your temple starts to curve inward to the crown of the skull. Don't let them touch the top. There's a terrible temptation to trim it, but don't do it. Only a few stylists know what you're asking for when you tell them to clean up the tips. The rest will chop a good inch out and leave you lacking the necessary volume. Keep growing it out up top and combing it back, have it trimmed at the very back so it doesn't hang down. Do this long enough and your bangs will hang down to your chin when combed forward.

The best pomade I've found so far is American Crew in the copper container. I can no longer affect a proper pomp as I've lost a considerable amount of hair in the forward quadrant of my scalp in the past 2 years. The majority of it happened in the space of three weeks. Now it's part and brush sideways to minimize the 'see-through' effect. I used to be able to get a full 2" of height...never got any pictures, though.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My boyfriend has been wearing a pomp for years and he cuts his hair in the same fashion The Wingnut described. He leaves the top very long (almost down to his mouth), but when it is combed into a pomp it's only 2-3" in height.

He uses Royal Crown Pomade (which is different from Royal Crown Hair Dressing, it's a bit heavier weight and a little harder to find) for his pomp and it gives great hold and shine.

My boyfriend has been noticing (as have I) he's getting a little thin on top. We're both assuming this is from the years of abuse his hair has endured (he used to use Murray's, you can never get that stuff out!), but he's only 20, so he's freaking out! Any recommendations on how to prevent hair loss when you're always combing and messing with your pomp?

Phil

A-List Customer
In regards to the pomadour, just don't over do it. As much as everyone loves Elvis, you're in St. Louis and not Las Vegas. But if you do it right, it looks very snazzy.

As for the hair thinning, I'd say Rogain or some other commercial hair tretment. You could always talk to your doctor too. Of course, the most common sensical thing to do is to give the pompadour, as well as the needed impliments, a rest for a while.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I can't seem to go with the look. I can try the crew cut and look like a 60's Rocket scientist or carry off the jitterbug look with the chant of "Swing Kids" whenever I go out. the pomp tends to make me look too rockabilly and I'm just not too into that style myself though I appreciate the look and have several friends on the scen who wear it well... now where are your pics?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Matt, your hair in your current avatar is a look I wish I could pull off. It's perfect '30s. My head isn't shaped right and I look off-balance when I try it, like a big bubble. I've got to have next to nothing on the sides, a Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing look. That gets the occasional 'Achtung!', unfortunately.

My taste changed as time progressed...I went from striving for 'greaser casual' to more of a '40s, then '30s casual, and started to buy suits and hats. As my clothes changed, the hair changed...nice thing about a pomp hairstyle is that little is needed to go from 'Elivis lives' to a Cagney wave. Just fiddle with your comb direction a bit and play up the natural lay of your hair instead of trying to go straight back.

Straight out of AF tech school, I had the perfect '60s Navy fighter jock haircut. Used it to good effect in a History Channel episode, then stopped cutting it up top. I'm back to my pre-basic hairstyle. I kind of miss the low maintenance look, but it's actually only day-to-day low maintenance...to keep it up, you've got to get a haircut almost every week.

Long up top, short on the sides, and get some clippers and a handheld mirror. You can avoid visiting a barber for months on end if you're careful.

Salv

One Too Many
The easiest way to show the photos in your post is to get the URL of the photo and wrap
tags around it. So right clicking on the first photo in your gallery and getting the Properties gives a URL of http://www.trickel.info/gallery/albums/album02/fifty.jpg - copy that, then while composing your post back here in the Lounge click on the image icon above the text input box - it's the yellow square with what I think is meant to look like a mountain range. This will give you a pop-up box into which you paste the photo URL. Then you click OK, or hit Return and your photo will have the tags wrapped around it and appear in your post, like so:
fifty.jpg

And as Wingnut says, get it long on top. The sides look OK, but you could probably lose some of the length on the sideburns. I have my hair cut every two weeks (my wife is a hairdresser and she does it) and have the sides clippered with bare blades, leaving just stubble at the sides. She basically just goes straight up the sides and back, leaving a very square shape, and trims the ends a little if they need it. I have a parting on the left and the hair to the left of the part is cut short while the hair to the right is left long. When it's freshly washed the hair hangs down just past my nose. I brush it straight back and use a hairdryer to get height at the front, then massage in some Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin, combing the front forward and up for height, and brushing the sides smooth to the scalp.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Speaking of sideburns, all I think you need to do is clean them up a bit and make them a bit thinner. My boyfriend has VERY long sideburns, but he keeps them very neat and I think they add a lot to his hairdo.

Here's his pomp:

joon.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
Speaking of sideburns, all I think you need to do is clean them up a bit and make them a bit thinner. My boyfriend has VERY long sideburns, but he keeps them very neat and I think they add a lot to his hairdo.

Ah yes, thinner is probably a better way to describe it, but that's what I meant.

clsecmbt

New in Town
I got my hair cut by a "guy who's been standing in the same place for 30 years" today. He cleaned up the sides with a straight razor.

cut1.sized.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
clsecmbt said:
I got my hair cut by a "guy who's been standing in the same place for 30 years" today. He cleaned up the sides with a straight razor.

Those sideburns look much better now, but I'd go shorter at the back and get a fade into the longer hair at the top. I'll be getting mine trimmed this weekend so I'll try to get some photos to show you what I mean.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
My boyfriend has been noticing (as have I) he's getting a little thin on top. We're both assuming this is from the years of abuse his hair has endured (he used to use Murray's, you can never get that stuff out!), but he's only 20, so he's freaking out! Any recommendations on how to prevent hair loss when you're always combing and messing with your pomp?

Alas, it aint the pomade but that wicked old Father Time. Your boyfriend's scalp is leaving puppyhood and delving into dogdom and there's really no going back. Happens to the best of 'em. Shelve the RC and break out the rogaine.

Salv

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
Any recommendations on how to prevent hair loss when you're always combing and messing with your pomp?

I forgot to reply to this. It's genetic, so the bad news is that once it starts to go that's it I'm afraid. I'm lucky: I'm on the downward slope to 49 and have been massaging gloop of some description into my hair for over 30 years, but I still have a full head of hair that, so far, shows no signs of thinning out. There are quite a few white hairs in there - the pomade makes them all glossy and they pretty much disappear into the shiny mass - but hair loss is a lottery. Sorry...

Naama

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:

Oh no! I feel so sorry for him, must be hard :(
I heard that eating tofu prevents hair loss, but I think he would have started eating a lot of tofu much earlier(?)
But he should really go and see a doctor! Maybe theres some tonic/pills out there that really helps? I wouldn't give up.

Naama

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I'm losing mine too. I wouldn't blame it on the Murray's. If you're going to lose your hair you're going to lose it. I used to use Royal Crown Pomade, but that stuff is so thick and shiney that it makes your hair look wet, if you try something like Crew Fiber you'll notice your hair looks a bit thicker.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Oh man. Well, I told him to just start with the Rogaine, but he still thinks its the pomade. I think before that though he's just gonna shave his head and see how it grows back in. I'm thinking it might be his shampoo (he uses Head & Shoulders, which I think might be a little harsh -- it made my roommate's hair fall out) too.

We'll see how the experiment turns out!

Phil

A-List Customer
Ooh, head and shoulders is murder on hair. If anything, have him use some sort of feminine shampoo. He'll smell like a fresh spring wanterfall, but it's generally going to be easier on his scalp and hair folicles. If it still persists it very well be genetic as Salv said.

P.S. Didn't they used to sell spray on hair?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a thick mop of hair that, like Salv, has been loaded with pomade for many years. I actually think my hair grows faster because of it!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Well, hopefully it is the shampoo, because though my man has a very lovely round head, I'm not too sure I want to see it 24/7! Any shampoo recommendations? How about Lucky Tiger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou