Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first semi-real hat

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I'm currently studying abroad this semester in Europe and for spring break I'm in Croatia. I've been stalking around this forum for a few months now and have always loved the look of fedora hats even though I've never really worn any kind of hat.

Now strolling through a market in Split, Croatia I saw a hat stand. In it there were many different hats including a straw hat that mimicked a Panama Hat. Now I know its probably fake straw and cheaply made but I decided why not and got it. It was cheap and doesn't look to bad so I'm thinking it can be a good start in getting me comfortable wearing a hat.

I usually don't dress well enough to wear proper hats but once I start law school and working professional thats going to change, so thats when I'll look for a nice hat in a year or so. This was just the test run. Feel free to tell me how I look in it. I'm about 6 foot 4 and a little lanky so for some reason I've never thought I look to good in hats.

And funny thing when I was buying it a friend of mine was with me and asked why I was buying an "old mans" hat, but I just rolled my eyes and ignored him.

Good observation about hats and dresswear. I think it's generally true for many fedoras. But that's not a bad thing. As one gets a year older every year, clothes style walks away from the casual into the more formal. It is one of the reasons I felt a lot more comfortable about wearing fedoras in the decades after my 20s--just more natural given the clothes I needed to wear, and the absence of the extremely casual styles worn previously so often (t shrt and shorts).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think you look pretty sharp, actually. That whole "old man's hat" business, we kick that around a lot here. It's basically the lament of osmeone who wants to remain a perpetual adolescent. Substitute "adult man" for "old man", and you're closer to the mark. You'll be amazed how quickly you develop the strong sensation every time you put it on of feeling that you really look cool, no matter what anyone else thinks.
BTW, I was in Zagreb a few years ago for 4 days, and LOVED it. What a wonderful country Croatia is.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There's a really wonderful museum there. Also, if the opera house has anything playing, visit it. The old part of the city, they call it the Mozart City because most of it dates from about 1750, is very charming and fascinating. Almost impossible not to have a good time in Zagreb.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
There's a fedora for every man. The fun is in the search. Your tastes in hats will change over time as you - and your wallet - mature. But I'd say you're off to a good start.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
I'm still well in my early twenties, but I've literally been an "old man" since birth. I listened to big-band swing and radio dramas, I watched Laurence Welk, I had Carry Grant, Bing and Bob, and Dorris Day movies on VHS, and knew almost every Rat-Pack song by heart.

I'm Benjamin Button in reverse! I'm growing into my hat.

Oh yeah, and looking good there NelH. You're making me jealous I never studied abroad.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I never studied abroad.

Here, knock yourself out!

images

:p :drum:

HHCassius

New in Town
I usually don't dress well enough to wear proper hats but once I start law school and working professional thats going to change, so thats when I'll look for a nice hat in a year or so. This was just the test run. Feel free to tell me how I look in it. I'm about 6 foot 4 and a little lanky so for some reason I've never thought I look to good in hats.

And funny thing when I was buying it a friend of mine was with me and asked why I was buying an "old mans" hat, but I just rolled my eyes and ignored him.

It's all about getting there. I remember I had a similar conversation with my friend when I bought a big apple hat (bigger version of a newsboy cap) and, having only seen them in movies, asked why I was buying a hat that would make me look like a kid.

6'4" and lanky? I'd say that's a helluvan easier fit than 5'5" and somewhat stocky! Haven't you seen "White Collar"? You're a shoe-in for a good hat.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a nice straw fedora you've got there, welcome!

Oh, and Croatia? I'm expected to be going there myself, this summer, to stay and visit relatives on an island for three weeks. I've been there before about eleven years ago, it's a very nice country!

Hal

Practically Family
Congratulations to the OP on his excellent choice!
That whole "old man's hat" business...It's basically the lament of osmeone who wants to remain a perpetual adolescent. Substitute "adult man" for "old man", and you're closer to the mark.
How right you are! The use of "old" in this context is tendentious. None of us wants to grow old; but far too many don't want to grow up.

Last edited:

draksig

New in Town
Same here, new to the scene. I lost interest in Ball caps years ago and have had a few western hats but wanted something different. Just got my first non-western hat (in picture) and plan on getting more. I wear large sizes and ordered this one from Amazon but it is a bit loose (all hats I have owned before were way too tight). I am going to do what was suggested elsewhere and add felt to the sweatband to snug it up. Going down a size on the next hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy