Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Gibson-Barnes Navy G-1

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Got my G-1 in from Gibson-Barnes. What a beautiful jacket. I'll try to post some pics in the upcoming days, as I know there are a shortage of G&B G-1 pics out there. It's almost a black (very dark goatskin) but it has the brown knits which give it some character. I'm 6'2", 150 lbs and I got a size 44 L. No chest measurements were taken, as I went a size down from my 46 Cockpit A-2 (which fit alright but was pretty "airy". The jacket is relatively big on me and my size preference gives it no where near a "military fit", but this is ok, as I don't mind my jackets being a bit big. For a tall guy, it seems as if the G-1 fits better on a long torso than an A-2. My only superficial complaint is that the goatskin smells nowhere near as good as the horsehide!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
6"2 150 lbs w/ a 44-inch chest? Wow, you must have some thin legs! I just acquired a G&B F-82 in goatskin about a month. Mine fits pretty trim although everyone says G&B run large. The goatskin is amazing.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Huh? That sizing sounds odd. I have several G&B's and 42T is plenty large enough -and certainly not trim. I'm 6'2" and 183 pounds. I would drown in a 44 and I'm 33 pounds heavier than you. Pictures please.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Would love to see pics of both the G-1 and the F-82. The F-82 has been on my radar for some time. I keep coming back to the G-1 though...pics... : )

I bought the F-82 off of ebay. I like it a lot, but would probably prefer the mouton collar of the G-1. It is sized 40 MTM, fits pretty slim and has a zip-out Thinsulate liner. With that liner, it is a great winter coat, so I'm glad it has the hand pockets.
DSC_0312.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0313.jpg
[/IMG]

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Guys. That is with the liner. I've never even taken the liner out. Its quite a liner and extends fully into the sleeves. I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and it in the low teens with plenty of wind - kept me very warm.

The front shot makes it look like I'm smuggling a couple of sandwiches - or maybe they are handguns...:D

Thanks Guys. That is with the liner. I've never even taken the liner out. Its quite a liner and extends fully into the sleeves. I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and it in the low teens with plenty of wind - kept me very warm.The front shot makes it look like I'm smuggling a couple of sandwiches - or maybe they are handguns...:D
lol Your stance says so too :) How does it fit sans liner? That G&B sorta kills the notion that they fit on the baggier side. That one looks the part!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'll get the liner out soon and maybe try and get some pics. It is labeled 40 MTM and I'm not sure if the MTM is due to the liner, the trimmer fit (as I've read how large G&B normally runs) or a combination. Of course, it may fit trim because of the added bulk of the liner and w/o it may be a more relaxed fit. It is the first goatskin that I've handled and I'm very impressed.

I'll get the liner out soon and maybe try and get some pics. It is labeled 40 MTM and I'm not sure if the MTM is due to the liner, the trimmer fit (as I've read how large G&B normally runs) or a combination. Of course, it may fit trim because of the added bulk of the liner and w/o it may be a more relaxed fit. It is the first goatskin that I've handled and I'm very impressed.
I've seen some pics of their goat after it gets wet a few times - the grain really pops out. Congrats - it's a nice jacket for sure. Be careful of the wolves and bears though lol

nick123

I'll Lock Up
6"2 150 lbs w/ a 44-inch chest? Wow, you must have some thin legs! I just acquired a G&B F-82 in goatskin about a month. Mine fits pretty trim although everyone says G&B run large. The goatskin is amazing.

To be honest, my size was more or less a guess. No chest measurements whatsoever. It said a 44 was a "Large" and I went with it. I am a skinny guy, but I didn't want to risk getting too small of a fit.

Btw, nice jacket. I had definitely looked at that one a few times on here before!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Huh? That sizing sounds odd. I have several G&B's and 42T is plenty large enough -and certainly not trim. I'm 6'2" and 183 pounds. I would drown in a 44 and I'm 33 pounds heavier than you. Pictures please.

I'll try to have some pics up tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I will not be a good "proper fit" model but at least you will get to see the jacket!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BTW, G& B do not fit large. I have 4 different ones and they fit pretty true. I wear a 42 suit. A G&B jacket fits well, with just a little give.

Last edited:

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Take a look at the Gibson & Barnes M-422a (father of the G-1). It is a little more expensive than the G-1 however, in my opinion, a much more classic looking and higher quality garment. I normally take a size 42R in a suit coat and the G&B M-422a 42R fits me perfectly. Check it out.:(

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I normally wear a size 40 or 42. I ordered a size 40 G&B civilian A2 in black goatskin. The 40 was too large for me, so I exchanged for a 38, and it fits great.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
GB A-2s do run large. GB's G-1 and M-422a usually are true to size because of their "action backs" which provide extra back room and comfort.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Curious. I would have though the action back to be a larger fit with that extra leather. ;)

But the extra leather is folded up and only extends when necessary. It fits larger if necessary, but may actually measure smaller pit to pit if not extended. I'm in my infancy buying leather jackets, but I have figured out that I can go a little smaller pit to pit if the jacket has an action back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn