Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandma had tattoos in the 1930's???

Finnatic

New in Town
I happen to fall upon this site while attempting reasearch on tattoos on women in the mid 1930's. My grandmother had two tattoos....one on each of her shoulder regions. A beautiful butterfly with a 2" wing span on one arm and the other arm had a banner with my grandfather's first name. According to my mother who was born in 1935....she remembers grandma having these when she was a very young girl. I guess I'm asking if anyone has ever heard of this before.....I have not been able to find out if it was a fad or if there were other reasons a woman would have a tattoo during this period. Any input on this is appreciated.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Finnatic
I have no background for this question but it's an interesting one. I'll let it stay in G&A for a few days but I suspect it might be better placed in another section to elicit responses. Let's wait & see

The Shooman

Practically Family
Very interesting topic Finnatic. l reckon that getting tatts in those days would have been pretty risky (less education about hygene).

But really, tattoos are nothing new. Ancient cultures have been doing it for hundreds of years.

GentleJohnny

New in Town
I know of a few...

I do know that back in the 1970's, a friend of mine met many of the 101st Airborne men at a reunion. There, sitting by herself, was Colonel Sink's wife (Col. Sink of the 506th). He noticed something "peeking" out from underneath her watch. He asked her about it and as she took her watch off he found out that Mrs. Sink had had jump wings tattooed on her wrist. They were in a perfect position to be covered up by jewelry or a watch.

My wife does the hobby with me and she has 10 period tattoos but only one is visible, it is on her foot and dates from the 1930's. Women had them, they just weren't as up front with them back then. They were mostly always covered while in public because that was the fashion and the mentality of the day. I've met several women in their late 80's with some sort of tattoo from the period.

By the way, I'm pleased to finally be a member of this great lounge! And it's so fitting that my first post comes under a subject for which I have spent a lot of time and money studying and "collecting." I hope to have many great discussions with all of you on some interesting topics and ideas!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR