Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandmother and the Oscar Rabin Band

Betz

New in Town
My grandmother, Patti Forbes, was one of the singers for the Oscar Rabin Band during the 1950s. The Oscar Rabin Band was one of the more popular British big bands during the era. My grandmother left the entertainment industry and her country when she met my grandfather, who was an American airman stationed in England. I thought people with our interests for the days of the past would be interested in this. Thanks for watching and listening, I hope you enjoy.

[video=youtube;PuA6xSKRuN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuA6xSKRuN8[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Always great to hear from someone with an intimate connection to the big bands.
Here's a page about the Rabin band in the 40s and 50s. It does mention Patti (spelling her name Pattie).

It includes this photo from 1956, when Shirley Jackson was the femme vocalist.
Oscar%20Rabin%20Derek%20Humble.jpg

It's interesting that Rabin picked an unusual and conspicuous instrument, the bass saxophone - and could barely play it. He only doubled the bass parts with the string bass, very quietly, and even then he couldn't keep up.
5474212771_ce8834d3d1.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've just learned that Joe Temperley, one of the all-time greats on baritone sax, was in the 1956 band. He's on the far right of the sax section in the first shot.

Joe currently plays with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra under Wynton Marsalis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL