Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Hart Schaffner & Marx Overcoat (Can it be dated?)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry if there is a thread to ask this sort of question, but I just bought a Hart Schaffner & Marx overcoat on eBay. I figure that since it is very cheap, should fit, and that it has a return policy, I could take my chances with this. Is this a vintage coat? Any idea on if it could be placed in a very specific part of a decade, or if it's just modern? I think the label will help, but I know nothing about dating Hart Schaffner and Marx clothing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-coat-1..._Outerwear&hash=item43aef1ad3e#ht_2584wt_1027

0301_3_067.jpg

0301_3_070.jpg

0301_3_073.jpg

0301_3_072.jpg

If this fits me fine, I plan to sometimes wear it during the fall and winter months (or just colder days), and even top it off with a fedora (although not always).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, do you think 1960s could be correct? It strikes me as having that vibe with the narrow collar. I think this is also a 3/4 length coat, but I'm not sure yet.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The coat is actually much greener in person than I thought. I was expecting something more along the lines of a charcoal/green, but I think I like it, although the color is slightly more flashy than I was going for. Here's what it looks like on me, is it too big? Is this something a tailor can address?

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

Also, I'm still curious as to the dating of this coat, so that would be helpful, thanks.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, maybe you're right about the date. Anybody else want to chime in on dating the coat? I'm not sure how many other members have Hart Schaffner & Marx coats, but based on the labels I'm wondering if that could really pinpoint the exact, limited range of several years. Perhaps it is early '60s, but that's fine. I like 1960s style.

Now, as for the fit, I think it's a bit loose, but worth holding onto. It's only 40r supposedly, and I'm about 39r on my suit jacket (it's a "tailored" fit option too). Aren't overcoats intended, traditionally speaking, to be loose/drapey rather than particularly fitted anyway?

The color presents an interesting situation itself though. I bought this thinking it would be quite a bit darker (a sort of charcoal/green), but in the sunlight and a light up room, it appears to be a medium green tweed overcoat rather than any sort of "dark." I like the color enough that I wouldn't send it back based on that, however, but could I wear something like this without a suit or sports jacket? Even without a tie? Is there any advice on how one is meant to wear an overcoat?

What about the rain, can this coat handle that? How heavy a downpour, will it be in good condition afterwards?

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You can wear it any way that's comfortable. But they're designed and built to be worn over a suit or sportcoat. Tie is optional, of course. And of course they're meant for fairly chilly weather. In California you may seldom experience weather that requires as heavy a coat as that.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here are some better pictures of the coat that I took today:

IMG_0476-1.jpg

IMG_0479-1.jpg

IMG_0482-1.jpg

Also, here is what the color really looks like in person (as closely as possible):

IMG_0485.jpg

What do you think of the fit overall, and can I wear a pale grey fedora with a green tweed overcoat? I think I can pull it off, but does it look good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner