Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my hat bleeds : (

jpbales

Practically Family
i figured that title would catch some glances at my post :D
Anyway, after coming in from the snow earlier, I set my hat down (vintage black Bond Executive) on top of a paper towel, and this is the result:

HatBleeding.jpg

it bled out this brown stuff [huh] The stuff is clearly brown, but my hat is black and it hasn't lost any color or anything. I figure it may be dye, but I also figured that if black dye was running it would look dark gray or black. I was just wondering what you guys think about it.

jpbales

Practically Family
the sweat is brown leather. I had set the hat upside-down on the paper towel- it has a diamond bash, and you can make out where the fur was touching the paper towel. The bottom left of the pic being the back of the hat, and the top right was where the front was sitting.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I've actually had black cloth things bleed brown, black is a composite of all colors, if you do a ....oh gosh, what's it called....we did it in Chem, anyway, it's not uncommon for it to be brown it'll either usually be brown of blu-ish. [huh]

but that's coming from a highschooler, so feel free to find someone more well versed :p

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It's dye. Take it from one who soaks almost every newly acqired hat (to clean and to shape). Every black hat, new or old, Stetson or Akubra will bleed some dye. If you don't believe it, just dunk your new black Akubra for 30 minutes. The water will look like weak tea! As stated earlier, black is a combination of all colors (sometimes really intense brown). I have a Resistol that was a gift. Everybody said it was black. I washed it, turned it inside out, reblocked it, and put a dark brown leather band on it. Now, everybody says that same hat is a really dark brown.

thecoolmiester

New in Town
Caity Lynn said:
I've actually had black cloth things bleed brown, black is a composite of all colors, if you do a ....oh gosh, what's it called....we did it in Chem, anyway, it's not uncommon for it to be brown it'll either usually be brown of blu-ish. [huh]

but that's coming from a highschooler, so feel free to find someone more well versed :p

I agree with her.
I'm not too shocked it bled brown for the same reason she said, "black is an accumulation of colors..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot