Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My HWM is on his way !!!

Looks like a keeper borisna..!
I would suggest getting a plastic spray bottle...and spray at least the collar with tap water to mold by hand several times when very wet. It will look more shaped and relaxed ..and easy to do. Let dry naturally.
You can even spray the whole jacket..and wear until dry to help break it in...if prefered.
HD

borisna

A-List Customer
Just ordered a companion for my HWM - Red Wing Iron Rangers :)
Quite expensive but i love the rugged look

borisna

A-List Customer
Hey Butte, sadly there is no Red Wing dealer here in Israel, so i took the chance and ordered them online(Ebay) hopefully the size will be right

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Butte - having tried on the Iron Rangers, I feel that they run a size large - I normally wear a 13, but a 12 in the Iron Ranger was spot on. It would be worth noting that before making an order, or even calling a reputable shop like Bakers to discuss fit.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Cool - thx. Look forward to a report and some pics. I would like to try some of these... :)

Hi Scott;

The Iron Rangers are a pretty good light duty boot. I bought mine and the Wolverine 1000 boots recently. Like everyone says the IRs run large. I believe they also run somewhat narrow. I ordered mine in my normal boot size and went with a wide width (E2 in Red Wing terminology). I wanted room for a quality insole plus I tend to wear Merino wool socks year 'round. The Red Wings do not come with an insole. My IRs fit perfectly and took maybe an hour to break in. Very comfortable as well.
The Wolverine 1000 mile boots deserve a look see as well..........comfortable, looks good and are made with the Horween Chromexcel leather.
Either one will match up nicely with your plethora of leather jackets.

Regards,
coffee

Hi Scott;The Iron Rangers are a pretty good light duty boot. I bought mine and the Wolverine 1000 boots recently. Like everyone says the IRs run large. I believe they also run somewhat narrow. I ordered mine in my normal boot size and went with a wide width (E2 in Red Wing terminology). I wanted room for a quality insole plus I tend to wear Merino wool socks year 'round. The Red Wings do not come with an insole. My IRs fit perfectly and took maybe an hour to break in. Very comfortable as well.The Wolverine 1000 mile boots deserve a look see as well..........comfortable, looks good and are made with the Horween Chromexcel leather. Either one will match up nicely with your plethora of leather jackets.Regards,coffee
Thanks coffee - might go for the 1000's. I looked at those as well and honestly like 'em a bit more. Plus, like you, I wear Merino wool socks all year lolI buy the "Darn Tough" socks when on sale. LOVE those socks. Even in wacky colors!

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I've owned IR's and 1000's, and my money is on whites semi dress. They are endlessly customizable leaps ahead in terms of quality and compared to overall price not that much more than the two.
I've invested in two pairs of WESCO's (I'm a total fanboy now) and my other two hardly get worn.

too much coffee

Practically Family
I've owned IR's and 1000's, and my money is on whites semi dress. They are endlessly customizable leaps ahead in terms of quality and compared to overall price not that much more than the two.
I've invested in two pairs of WESCO's (I'm a total fanboy now) and my other two hardly get worn.

No doubt about that.........the White's Semi Dress are on top of that food chain. I've never had the White's SD but have handled and tried on a few pair at the White's retail store. They are a great low cut boot but I've always asked myself where am I going to wear them?
For just kickin' around, the 1000 mile boots and Red Wing IRs are great. I also wear a lot of Western boots.......ropers mainly but some with a riding heel.
Also got a couple of pair of White's and Double H Packers and a pair of White's Farmer/Rancher. I just don't know where the semi dress would fit in to my boot inventory. Great looking boot and very well made though.

jback

Familiar Face
Hi Scott;
My IRs fit perfectly and took maybe an hour to break in. Very comfortable as well.

Regards,
coffee[/QUOTE

Hi. I've had my IR's for a couple of months but find them hard to break in. The right one gives me a sore blister/ rub just behind the toe cap where the leather creases on each step. The size feels good with an innersole. Anyone else have this problem? Or any ideas for a cure?

Jonathan

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Jonathan;

1. Maybe look into a thinner insole
2. Thinner sock?
3. Use copious amounts of your favorite leather conditioner to soften that area up. Obviously I'm sure you've run your hand under that area to check for anything that may be aggravating that area of your foot.

That's about all I can suggest............Good Luck with it.

Regards,
coffee

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hey Butte, sadly there is no Red Wing dealer here in Israel, so i took the chance and ordered them online(Ebay) hopefully the size will be right

My experience is that Red Wing runs pretty much close to size and would caution against going down a size. Remember that you can always make the shoe smaller (heavy socks and or insole insert), but you can't make the shoe larger/longer. Shoes that are too short and too narrow can ruin your feet. Keep in mind that the middle of the ball of your foot (widest part of your foot) should even up with the widest part of the shoe. Although my foot length measures size 12, my foot measures a size 13 at the ball of my foot. Hence, I need to wear a size 13 shoe so that the shoe "breaks" or flexes at the correct place on the shoe. If I wear a size 12 all day, my feet are killing me by the end of the day but not when I wear a size 13.

Red Wing makes some great work boots, including narrow sizes. My size is 13AA. I have one pair of Red Wings. My favorite shoe is Alden, and IMO Alden makes the best shoes made in the US. My "sweet spot" is 13AA with Alden's Aberdeen and Hampton lasts. I have one pair of Alden shoes in Shell Cordovan Color 8 in size 12A made on the Barrie last that fits me well since the Barrie last seems to run ~ one size larger.

I apologize for getting off the subject of of Borisna's new Highwayman. However, Borisna will not enjoy his Highwayman if his feet are hurting him. I will post at a later time regarding my incoming Highwayman, hopefully in the next three months.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I guess I'm in the minority here - I like some wiggle room in my jackets. With the exception of riding jackets, I don't want something tight on me.

I have it same way, with both Shoes, trousers and shirts. and outerwear- even my ALC Irvin is a size 40, where a 38 might fit better, But I feel much more comfortable in the 40 size anyway.
Actually I am a slim guy, but still I like to be able to move - and breathe well, wearing my clothes, in sizes a little to big for me.

Last edited:

jksu

Familiar Face
i love my wolverine 1000 miles -- got a pair in brown and black. the brown gets much more use. minimal breaking needed because that horween chromexel is butter soft.

i added a rubber half sole (vibram) to extend the sole life but i kind of miss that leather sole now. they run large as well. i wear 12-12.5 athletic shoes and the size 11 wolverines are slightly loose -- put an extra insole and that did the trick. width is good (i have a pair of redwings that are 11 and narrower and slightly shorter).

i love my wolverine 1000 miles -- got a pair in brown and black. the brown gets much more use. minimal breaking needed because that horween chromexel is butter soft.i added a rubber half sole (vibram) to extend the sole life but i kind of miss that leather sole now. they run large as well. i wear 12-12.5 athletic shoes and the size 11 wolverines are slightly loose -- put an extra insole and that did the trick. width is good (i have a pair of redwings that are 11 and narrower and slightly shorter).
Good info. Thank you for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner