Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Latest Score!

Baggers

Practically Family
We took a drive into the big city today to pick up bird feeding supplies and since we were nearby, we stopped off at the Orvis Store to take a look at what they had. It was also the last day of their "Orvis Days" Promotion and so I brought along a printout of the $25 coupon they'd emailed me.

After browsing around a bit, I wandered over to the area where they have a few Filson products so I could take another look at a couple of items I'd been thinking of ordering through David Morgan this Fall. I looked down at the row of Wool Mackinaw Cruisers, and saw a forest green one in my size. As I reached to pull out the hanger, I noticed a big red SALE tag with $149.00 in big black Sharpie letters.

Let's see. a jacket that retails through their web site for $265, and which Orvis had marked at $249 being blown out at $149? I asked the salesman what was wrong with them, and after being assured that they weren't seconds, he also informed me that they would apply an additional 30% discount at checkout and give me a $25 coupon to apply to whatever I purchased on my next visit. When I asked if I could also apply the $25 coupon I had with me, he said yes!

After all was said and done, $79.30 plus tax. Once in a great while, the planets align and Lady Luck smiles down upon me. Maybe I better go buy a Lottery ticket! :)

Cheers!

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Awesome deal, I'll give you $100 for it. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these but am concerned about their sizing. I had a vintage Filson cruiser jacket--made of the whipcord cloth--that was marked 38 but fit like a 42-44. I realize that they are this way for layering, but are they still made this oversized?

Baggers

Practically Family
pablocham said:
Awesome deal, I'll give you $100 for it. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these but am concerned about their sizing. I had a vintage Filson cruiser jacket--made of the whipcord cloth--that was marked 38 but fit like a 42-44. I realize that they are this way for layering, but are they still made this oversized?

HA! Granted, I'd make a few bucks over what I paid for it, but I'd be scuppered trying to replace it for that! Thanks, but no thanks! lol

Regarding the fit, I'm a 42 regular and purchased the same size. It fit comfortably loose over just a short sleeved knit polo type shirt, but I'm sure I could get a thicker long sleeve shirt and perhaps a medium weight sweater under it, but that might be it. Perfect for the expected climate ranges in which I'll be using it -- Southwest Colorado or the Seattle area in addition to North Texas. The sleeves are a bit long right now, but with the extra layer or two the cuff should end up hitting just where it should. Also, remember that these are essentially cut straight through the body with no taper, so there's room there as well. Does that give you an idea?

Paul, I've seen that jacket in their Lodge Collection. It has a nice vintage feel with the zippered chest pocket, kind of like a Highwayman, but with the predistressed cowhide it's made of and the S-M-L sizing, I'm not sure you wouldn't be better off getting an Aero in horsehide for what Filson is asking for that (probably made in China) item.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Baggers, where the hell are you going to wear a heavy coat like that???

Surprisingly it didn't seem as heavy as I thought it would, even with the double layered back. I've got a WW2 British Army greatcoat that's probably heavier.

And I venture into cooler climes on occasion. Ever been to Seattle? In Winter that damp cold can seep through my other outerwear if it's not sunny. I also entertain fantasies of relocating either there or perhaps Colorado one of these decades after I've made my fortune. If Filson products are supposed to last forever, consider it an investment in the future. ;)

Cheers!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A Great Coat!

I don't own it but I often borrow one belonging to my brother in-law when I visit their farm for the weekend. The red and black check is classic. It seems to run true to size, as Baggers stated. I may have to call Orvis first thing tomorrow morning.:)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
3 years back I bought one of these:

http://www.filson.com/product/index.....2065690&parentPage=family&parentPage=family

from a thrift store in Brooklyn, new with tags, for $25. Great coat!
I love Filson products but apparently their time has come and gone. The fellow who owns UPLAND TRADING here in the city said Filson was recently bought ought by a large corporation. He's been a Filson dealer for decades, but when he got a batch of their latest goods, he was sp disappointed with the downgrade in material and construction he sent it all back and cut off ties with the "new" Filson. A shame yet time marches on.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
MudInYerEye said:
The fellow who owns UPLAND TRADING here in the city said Filson was recently bought ought by a large corporation. He's been a Filson dealer for decades, but when he got a batch of their latest goods, he was sp disappointed with the downgrade in material and construction he sent it all back and cut off ties with the "new" Filson. A shame yet time marches on.

That IS bad news. Local shop owner here spent a good hour with me talking about the excellent Flson quality. We were talking about a Double Cruiser, but me Mrs. was across the room, shooting the occasional, smiling "I'd kill you" look.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Well, get one when she's not looking. Killer stuff. I'm confident most stockists still have remaining pre-buyout jackets laying around and there will always be a ceaseless supply on eBay.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Tucson is a strange place. People move here and get rid of all their winter clothing because we only have two weeks of cold. So every october the thrift stores will put out jackets en masse. If you get there at the right time you can get some great stuff even if things aren't as cheap as they once were. Anyway, last week I picked up, among other things, two green filson mackinaw cruiser jackets. Total price: 40 dollars. I'm keeping one and I just put the other on an auction site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR