Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Akubra

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, Monday I ordered the Akubra "Squatter" hat from David Morgan (the one shown in the advertisement in the top left of the TFL screen), in "Tawny Fawn" color. I got it today (Thursday...now that's quick service!). I have to say, I have never been so utterly happy and satisfied with any hat before in my life! Wonderful hat. I am thrilled with it.

The color is a dark tan, almost to the point of being called "light brown", and is really beautiful. The ribbon and bound edge match, and are a true medium brown color. There was no real taper in the blocked shape front and back, and the sides show a cool REVERSE TAPER! Not a lot, but enough to give it that cool bulb shape that I like. The crown is advertised as being 5 1/4" high, but I knew this had to be a misprint, as it looked much taller than that. By my measurement, it was close to 5 3/4", best I could tell. The brim is 3" wide. My finished height (at the very front) is about 4 1/2".

It bashed VERY nicely, and the felt responded very well to steam. It is nice and stiff, the way I like it! It holds its shape well, and that allowed me to put the curl in the brim that I like so much.

It has the little chin strap hooks in the sides, which are unobtrusive and inoffensive, but one could cover them up with a wider ribbon, if one desired. I even got a chin strap, but haven't put it on yet.

I cannot recommend this hat (and David Morgan) highly enough. I may fiddle around with the brim a bit more, but I am substantially satisfied with my bash.

TawnyFawn.jpg

Fawnside.jpg

Draw.jpg

I'll get some photos of the hat by itself later.

I really like this hat!;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
My little digital camera just cannot capture the color of the hat. It's a much prettier color than this.

TawnyFawn1.jpg

TawnyFawn2.jpg

TawnyFawn3.jpg

TawnyFawn4.jpg

Like I said, I'm more pleased with this particular hat than any other I've ever put on my head! ;)

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Awesome hat! I especially like it in profile. There have been a few complaints about the crown height of that model - but it seems plenty high to me.

I was really impressed with David Morgan too. I ordered on monday, got my hat on wednesday - clear across the country.

Joel

Rooster

Practically Family
Those squatters are great hats Chris. I got a medium brown one a couple months ago and love it. I bashed mine cattleman's style. Super hat all round.
What's that shootin' iron Pard? I've been itchy to pick up some new iron lately....

Spellflower

Practically Family
Wow, nice!:eusa_clap

I'd been wondering what the hat in the ad was since it went up. It kind of looked like a Federation, but I knew only Hats Direct sells those. (And when I clicked on the link, it went to Besdor, not DM, though it seems fixed now.)

Why has this hat escaped my attention? Did I pass it off as one of Akubra's more "countryish" hats? If so, I was wrong- clearly, it sits squarely in the "fedora" category, at least with your terrific bash. I had thought that a Tawny Fawn Fed would by my next hat (barring any miraculous vintage finds), but I may have to reconsider. Good thing I'm broke, so I've got plenty of time to think about it!

One question: What color is the liner? Could you possibly post a pic? Thanks!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The hat comes "open crown", and you bash it yourself to your own liking. The liner is the typical Akubra white liner with a vinyl sweat cap and a crest in the top saying "Akubra Imperial Quality pure fur felt". As far as being a "fedora" or not, the hat pretty much is whatever you make of it. You can easily cut the brim down if you wish, as I considered doing before I got it, but when I had it in my hands, I found it to be just right! I like the brim edge curled up just a little bit all the way around, so this "narrows" the brim just a little bit...at least visually. The way I have it, it looks the part of an "outdoorsman's" hat, without necessarily being a "western" hat.

I may eventually get myself a Bushman too...I never used to like thin ribbons, but they're beginning to grow on me... Maybe I'll do an "Adam Savage" bash! lol

Rooster, that's my new all-time favorite pistol, my S&W "model 22" .45acp. Probably the most accurate handgun I own (though it still shoots a bit low and I need to bring down the front sight a bit more to pull up). All the gunleather is from El Paso Saddlery. I need to order a second moon clip holder.

I've still never read Bill Jordan's book, but I look the part anyway, right? ;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Thanks, I've been trying for so long to find "the" hat...one that fits me and suits me, and I've had a devil of a time. I have two other hats that I like, but the brim of the one is just a tad too narrow, and the other is too nice for me to wear around outside! I have numerous other hats that just ain't no count. Too tapered, too fuzzy (and even shedding), too short, too tapered, too tapered... But, by golly, I finally got a good 'un!

:fedora:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First Kyle lookin' like he was born to wear that great Campdraft, and now you with the Squatter, FDM. Suits you to a T. I don't think I've ever seen a finer bash job, either. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

riccardo

Practically Family
WOW

Very nice hat, you did a great work bashing it, I like very much those curled brims, great bash and you fit it very well.
I'll put it in my wish list.
(I'll try to curl my Campdraft brims...)

Riccardo.

akaBruno

Suspended
That is one fine lookin hat, man! :cool:

Those Akubras are well made, indeed. You can bash em dry. But, a lil bit o' steam really gives em stylin.

BRUNO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot