Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new DM Akubra Adventurer

Tone

A-List Customer
That is stylin'! I see what you mean about wanting to keep the brim. You pull it off very well. There's a whole bunch of character to that hat, already. Looks great!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I would say no. Its just a rigid as my Federation and if I used a spray bottle on it I think it would become stiffer. But I don't feel its as loose as a "crusher".

K

Kaosharper1

Floppy

My Adventurer is definitely not floppy. Its just like my Federation. I'm not sure why so many people try to make it different but its the same felt. The difference is the lower crown and wider brim. Nothing else. Saying its like a crushable is almost laughable.

ed_bollix

New in Town
I received my Adventurer the other day... Bashed the bugger and I'm very pleased with it. I'll post some pictures when i have a chance to get them off my phone (IT'S A PHONE NOT A CAMERA!!!) though it's nothing you haven't seem before. I really do like my first real hat! I've taken it to the pub and around with very positive results.:eusa_clap

kiltie

Practically Family
Floppy?

I think some of the posters over at the COW are displaying a slightly misguided sense of loyalty when it comes to the Adventurer. I gathered after reading some of the threads over there that some of the members and/or admin. had something to do with the development of the Federation. As I understand, they asked David Morgan for help in development/distribution, but DM declined, and that's how the Fed. came to be with hatsdirect. Anyway, some of the Sr. membership over there (COW) posted "...why buy a hat from somebody who gave us the cold shoulder. You should buy the Fed., cuz they're our buddies and they helped us out..." or, uh, words to that effect. I'm hip to the sentiment, but as was earlier stated in this thread, I can see where it could be interpreted as disparaging. I would be inclined to say you're just seeing brand loyalty - the irony being, it's the same brand. I do not own a Federation, but I would imagine the difference between the two is like the difference between a Chevy Blazer and a GMC Jimmy...

kiltie

Practically Family
Adventurer

...and speaking of the Adventurer, I took mine out again last night, probably for the last time for a bit ( getting a hat refurbished that should be ready tomorrow...). Here's a pic of me at about two-thirty this morning; it's probably the best view of what the "brim-trim" has done for the thing.
HPIM1852a.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
I agree! Lookin' good, guys. :eusa_clap Yes, it's a great hat, isn't it, Ed? It just feels "ready" for a night on the town or a day in the mountains.

ed_bollix

New in Town
Everyday hat

I do have some other hats but this has become my instant favorite. I fear that I am in the LO group so it's taking a bit to fit properly, it is coming around. I wear it to work, the pub and out for the evening; you are so correct Tone!

I'm in Michigan so it's mostly been with my Green Carheartt with a brown and cream scarf. I'll move to a greenish kaki blazer when it warms up a bit... there is always my brown leather as well.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Not meaning to re-start but here is info on a brim cutter

One of FLs own, Aaron Hats has a brim cutter. You can goto http://www.getahaton.com/ and do a search for "brim cutter" (like you folks wouldn't have figured *that* out!) :whistling. It sells for about $55.00 and remember to tell them you are a member of FL!! :) Others may also but I ran into this one viewing hats on the site today. BTW- I do woodworking etc., and can cut a straight line with a handsaw or other sharp objects. But I have nothing but respect for the demos of cutting a straight line with scissors!! If I did that, it would look like heck! The Snake River comes to mind. (I must have missed that day in school).

01002-2T.jpg

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Help please!! (newbie question)

mtechthang said:
One of FLs own, Aaron Hats has a brim cutter. You can goto http://www.getahaton.com/ and do a search for "brim cutter" (like you folks wouldn't have figured *that* out!) :whistling. I have nothing but respect for the demos of cutting a straight line with scissors!! If I did that, it would look like heck!

Hi all. I have an Akubra Banjo and I think I'd like it better with about a 1/4" off the brim. Has anyone used the brim cutter (from Aaron) and/or are there any detailed instructions on brim cutting here or elsewhere- maybe a DVD (I admit this scares me!!) Any hints/help would be much appreciated

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
I did my Adventurer yesterday and just freehanded it with a razor knife on a large kitchen cutting board, and then sanded it down. Worked pretty well--you could never tell unless you were holding it and looking very close.

I finally admitted that a broad brim just doesn't work with my round face, and took about half an inch off. I was called "Eliot Ness" twice while wearing it today, but I guess that's better than "Indiana Jones."

Tone

A-List Customer
Anyone broken out their Adventurer over these few years? Specifically, those of you who actually have one. :) The DM created version? (I only say that so as to avoid confusion between this one and the pre-creased teardrop version that was using the name before.)

Tone

A-List Customer
Shh....

Nobody, sheesa gonna say nothin' bouta the Adventurer. Sheesa the quiet. Don't mention sheesa still the gooda hat we like. But itsa no safe a speaka the name. :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I still have mine, and I started this thread. But I have to admit that I haven't worn it since I bought an Art Fawcett Hoosier and I'm thinking of selling mine. It is still a great hat for the price.

I'd like to revive this thread again.

I'm wondering if anyone has a current DM adventurer that has been compared to the Fed IV. I'm looking for a screen accurate ROTLA Adventurer's hat, I've spent more time than I'd like to admint online and can't really decide between the two. I have a larger build so I am leaning towards the DM Adventurer because of the larger brim, but I am wondering which hat has a fuller crown. I currently have a carbon grey fed IV and I don't think the crown is quite big enough, but I heard that its slightly larger than the DM.

oh the ponderances....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner