Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Grafters tan leather brogue Derby boots

ukali1066

Practically Family
In my newfound quest to dress more like an actual grown up man [ I'm 34 ] I found these on ebay for 50 pounds sterling,

Grafters 7 eye Derby boots, Full calf Leather Lining & Sock, Tan Leather Upper and Goodyear Welted Leather Sole, Leather/PVC Heel.

Looking forward to wearing them in this winter, I did replace the laces with leather ones.

boot.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot4.jpg

boot3.jpg

ukali1066

Practically Family
Thank you sir !

As a leather sole virgin..I'm a bit concerned by how slippy the soles are, especially on carpet...I can moonwalk for the 1st time in my life :)

Any tips ?

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Put them on, (carefully) make your way to the nearest sidewalk, and scuff the soles on the sidewalk. That will rough them up enough to keep your feet on the ground until those new soles get some wear on them. Until then, be careful on carpet-covered stairs! :eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Derby Boots. I have a pair from the UK but they were made in Italy and have lug soles. THey're as heavy as mountaineering boots. Yours look very comfortable. I wonder how long it'll take to break them in. My guess is not long. You may want to have protectors installed on the toe and the heel to help retard wear.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
WOW - Great boots!

I like to very carefully "score" a cross hatched pattern in virgin smooth leather soles with a razor before I wear them. It helps give better traction until the soles wear in a little.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ukali1066 said:
Any tips ?
Rough 'em up! The soles, that is!

I love those shoes. I bought a similar pair in Venice two years ago that are my favorite shoes. I'll be in Venice next week, and I am hoping to pick up another pair. Mine have rubber soles, but are along the same lines.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
ukali1066 said:
As a leather sole virgin..I'm a bit concerned by how slippy the soles are, especially on carpet...I can moonwalk for the 1st time in my life :)

Any tips ?

They look good. As the man said, scuff the soles a bit by walking on them. If you want to save £££s, get a rubber sole attached to the sole and heel. I have a couple of pairs of all-leather boots done like this and they last for months with almost daily wear. The way I wear heels out, with a good quality rubber sole fitted by a decent cobbler, they outlast steels.

If you want an alternative old style lace, try and find ones where the threads are waxed, not just the laces. A cobbler local to me (he's in Lewes) recommended them. They last and last and are better overall than leather ones. I like leather laces, but they slip when dry and are difficult to deal with when wet.

Edit: I've just seen the price. A very good find. I hope you can keep us posted about wear and tear.

Further edit: I've just discovered that the Grafters brand can be got cheaper here. They do brogues, too.

Duck

Practically Family
Very nice boots. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I wish we had more of a selection here in the states, as I love the style.

DerMann

Practically Family
£45 for a pair of all leather boots ?!?!?!

If shipping didn't destroy the price, it'd be on those in two seconds.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One of my ex's (a runway model who had to wear brand new shoes on a regular basis) would put cloth tape on the sole to prevent slipping. I've tried it and by the time the tape wears off, the sole is sufficiently broken in.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
One of my ex's (a runway model who had to wear brand new shoes on a regular basis) would put cloth tape on the sole to prevent slipping. I've tried it and by the time the tape wears off, the sole is sufficiently broken in.

Hey, that's a pretty clever idea! :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Nice score! Are they from 'Shoeandbootman,' by any chance? I bought the black version about this time last year, and they are by far the easiest boots I've ever broken in. Accidentally wore them for the first time on a day I was going to be out from leaving for work until midnight, but no problems with comfort whatever. Absolutely fab. I'm planning to pick up a tan pair just when I have the cash lying about. I'm a longtime, loyal Clarks-wearer, and they compare very favourably. Actually, I just had the soles completely replaced on mine because I inadvertently stepped on something sharp and gouged a serious chunk out of one of them, but otherwise they are wearing very well a year on, and I do wear them a lot. Perfect with a suit in the winter - all the style of a formal shoe, but keeping the ankles warm. They're also great for those close-to-laundry days when you realise you don't hav a clean pair of socks that looks quite right with the truosers you're planning to wear... lol

FWIW, I've justp laced an order for a pair of black Oxfords from the same seller...

In terms of longevity and grip.... I usually find that after the first wear, a leather sole is sufficiently scratched to be fine, though it'll never be quite as good as a chunky-grip rubber sole on ice. You could always have a rubber grip-layer put on from the off, though normally I wait until a shoe needss its first re-heeling (usually three or four year with me), and then have the rubber grip layer added to the front of the sole at the same time. Takes a very long time for those to wear through, so they protect the leather from further wear, as well as providing a bit more grip. They also repel that little bit of damp that can come in through a leather sole when it is extremely wet underfoot.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Shoe-be-doos in Cross Street, Sheffield stock Grafters brogue boots like the above for 44GBP and also do desert boots that are reasonably like Clarks for less than 19 GBP. Nice shop, nice people.

Samuel Windsor in Skelmersdale do a lightweight brogue boot that is similar but a little lower for about the same price (on offer). Good for summer or more formal occasions.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I thought the Shoe-be-doos website looked a bit shonky. But the price is very good. I'd be more inclined to buy from their Ebay shop, just because I know Ebay.

At less than £50 inc. postage, the brown brogue shoes have caught my attention.

With the HJ seal, I may get buying...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It's worth noting that they don't do half sizes. That makes a visit to the shop worth while, for me. I have a pair of the above for some time and have found them to be satisfactory at the price.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Baron

If you are prepared to accept jodhpur boots or dealer boots (i.e. boots used for riding) rather than this specific pattern of brogue boot, most manufacturers make childrens and teen sizes that go below size 6.

The best pair of jodhpur boots I have ever seen in a charity shop were by Crockett and Jones - size 5 and almost unworn for 10 GBP. My wife's size but she didn't want them! Worth looking for such as 'pony teens' grow out of their boots regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24