Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new hat thanks to Mike Moore

Stoney

Practically Family
Mike Moore, of Buckaroo Hatters, was kind enough to send me three hat bodys to work with at no charge. This hat is the first of the three that I've made from the hat blanks. I have about 16 hours of time invested in this one. This particular body is a platinum gray that I thought would be great as a summer felt.

The first picture was taken with a flash, the others were taken under natural lighting. The colors on all of the photos are pretty close to the actual colors used. Since the hat body color was cool, I decided to spice up the ribbon treatment. The ribbon is maroon with a copper and silver bow. I made the wind trolley and button in copper to match the bows center stripe.

The liner art was done using an Avery iron on media and Epson durabrite waterproof ink. The art itself is the same that I used in my first cowboy hat conversion. I like it so well that I think I'll use again for a few more hats.

Platinum-Side-Interior.jpg

Platinum.jpg

Well, I have two more hat bodys to work with, thanks to Mike. I'm sure I'll have just as much fun working on those as I did this one.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WoW........

Yet another Stoney Original that turned out simply Fantastic my friend. :eusa_clap

It has you written all over it. :D

I love the color of the felt and the contrast of the ribbon treatment really works well....you did a great job picking out the colors....and the liner looks Awesome.

What are the dimensions?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The liners custom to each hat are another cool feature to your hats that noone else seems to do. I'm curious about the dimensions also, because it seems about perfect:)

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks, Bart, Bolthead and Rick.

I really appreciate your comments. I was unsure of the color combination at first, since its a bit unusual, but this is quickly becoming one of my favorite hats.

The dimensions are my personal favorites as follows:

Size 22 1/2" LO.
Brim Front and Back: 2 1/4"
Brim Sides: 2 1/8"
Crown 5 7/16"open crown
Crown Blocked: side 5", front and back 4 1/4"

I'm really not geared up to produce these for sale as I only have blocks to fit my own noggin and have a full time job to contend with already. Maybe one of these days after I retire.. I may make a limited number of hats for folks then.

Quite the feat, Stoney. Classic lines, elegant proportions, unique touches. And it's a great look for you, man. It really works.

Yes, we love those vintage lids, and our contemporary custom hatters turn out some truly splendid work, but there's something uniquely satisfying about building one's own, especially when it comes out so well.

majormoore

Vendor
I had been seeing some of the hats he had been making and thought he might like to have some 100% dress weight bodies to work with. And see what he might turn out, he is doing a great job making his own hats.

Stoney the hat looks very nice, glad you were able to turn that hat blank into a nice hat for yourself, cann't wait to see what you make with the other two bodies,keep up the good work.

Major Moore

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Major......

majormoore said:
I had been seeing some of the hats he had been making and thought he might like to have some 100% dress weight bodies to work with. And see what he might turn out, he is doing a great job making his own hats.

Stoney the hat looks very nice, glad you were able to turn that hat blank into a nice hat for yourself, cann't wait to see what you make with the other two bodies,keep up the good work.

Major Moore
Yes indeed....you are quite the stand up guy, for sure. What more needs to be said. :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
Mike,
Thanks again for the hat bodies. I wore this one to work today and actually had two of the guys ask if I could make one for them. So I guess it's fair to say that they liked it.

and Guys thanks again for the kind words. It's always great to hear positive comments about ones work.

Kabuto,
I do sew the sweatbands in myself. I make two passes, stitching by hand 1/4" apart. The net effect is that the stitches are 1/8" apart, which provides a nice solid seam for the reed band. It typically takes me anywhere from two to three hours to assemble the sweatband and install it without using a sewing machine. This photo shows the stitching on this hat. Pass one was done with maroon colored thread, while pass two was done in light blue. You can see one of the maroon stitches just under the center of the center blue stitch if you look carefully.

SweatbandStitches.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran