Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new hats

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Hi, I'm a new poster here and relatively new reader. I'm a longtime Indy Gear vet (although I took nearly a 4 year hiatus) so I have heard of this site, but it didn't really apply 'til recently. I've been into fedoras since I was a kid. I grew up on Indiana Jones, Michael Jackson, The Shadow, Dick Tracy, James Bond (Sean Connery wore some in the earlier ones) and The Phantom of the Opera musical so fedoras have always interested me. I wore a really crappy one throughout elementary school.
classicderek.jpg

Try to ignore the colors in the after pics. I didn't redye the hats. My room just has awful lighting and I used a camera phone with lame white balance features, and then I did some auto color in photoshop which did a little good. The original picture made the hats look brown when they were gray :D.

My favorite has to be this brand new 7 1/8 Emerson homburg that came with its box, which I converted into a fedora (shock!) with some light ironing on the brim and a cold bash on the crown. Don't know about the brand or age. About a 2 3/4" brim all around. The crown is a tall one about 5 1/2" bashed.

As it was:
emersonoriginal.jpg

As it is:
emersonfedorafront.jpg

emersonfedoraside.jpg

Then I got this size 7 Barrister fedora, another brand I've never heard of. The ribbon didn't suit my taste in color or width (a little short). 2.5" snap brim all around. About a 5" crown bashed. It also hat a diamond crease, but I change it to a center dent.

As it was:
barristeroriginal.jpg

As it is:
barristerfront.jpg

Lastly, I received this size 6 7/8 Dobbs fedora. This one I did a bit of work on too, but more so than the Barrister. For this hat I did a ghetto reblock because it was just too tapered and I didn't like the bash it came with. I also removed the feather and replaced the ribbon which was just way too short. The brim was dimensionally cut from the get go as 2.5" front and 2 1/8" side. I also hat to do the brim manually since it came flat. Also about a 5" crown bashed. It apparently costed 65 dollars originally and comes in a style called Alair.

As it was:
dobbsoriginal.jpg

As it is:
dobbsfront.jpg

As for the ribbon replacements, I used some really cheap polyester 1.5 " (really 36mm) grosgrain I got off of ebay. I would have preferred a rayon/cotton blend but that stuff is much harder to come by and more expensive. Luckily they're not too shiny and I was still able to work them onto the hats by ironing a curve into them. The part that will shock you though is that I used liquid stitch to attach everything.

The homburg conversion might shock you, but I didn't think it made a very good homburg in the first place. The thing was a giant with a 6" crown and a 2.75" brim. It did have a pencil roll brim and still does for the most part, but I've eased it up a bit.

Look at this and tell me it didn't make a perfect fedora instead?
classic.jpg

Besides just showing off my new collection (I have a 2 brown fedoras from Burlington Coat Factory and a Akubra Federation as well) here. I'd really like some input as to the backgrounds of these hats. I've never heard of Emerson (which apparently has been around since 1888) or Barrister.

If anyone's wondering what exactly a ghetto reblock is...basically I took a large cylindrical plastic container and molded a dome on it out of paper towels. I've done this before and it has worked very well.

metropd

One Too Many
I am so envious!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You have the EXACT SAME TASTE IN FEDORAS AS ME!!!!! In the color the pinch and Brim Width, all I can say IS WOW!!!

Any for sale?:p ;)

GREAT PICTURES, welcome to the lounge.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comment.

Haha, these ones definitely aren't for sale. They're too good and interesting to sell.

As for the style of hat. I never had a gray hat before so I wanted some, usually I prefer brown hats. I'm a Indy guy, but I've basically always preferred tighter pinches, medium brims, and tall crowns because I prefer the pre 50's style fedoras the most. I don't care too much about screen accuracy or having Raiders style hats, but I basically like 20s/30s/40s style fedoras and Indy's just happens to look like those, although the Raiders hat is more of a caricature with is uber pinch. Although not as well know, Indiana also wore a gray version of his fedora in 2 scenes in Raiders (plane and end) too actually. He had a really nice navy blue pinstripe suit too.

Haha, your avatar looks almost like the picture I took too I noticed.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marcus Brody said:
The homburg conversion might shock you, but I didn't think it made a very good homburg in the first place. The thing was a giant with a 6" crown and a 2.75" brim. It did have a pencil roll brim and still does for the most part, but I've eased it up a bit.

Look at this and tell me it didn't make a perfect fedora instead?
classic.jpg
It didn't make a perfect fedora instead.
The binding is odd and the brim is wavy and strangely shaped.

To call the original homburg bad because it had a
high crown and wide brim is simply to lack an understanding
of vintage homburgs. Personally, I have been looking for a
homburg of such dimensions in my size. You ruined one.
There are plenty of stiff "Indy" hats to be had, but precious
few homburgs with those dimensions made by great hat makers
of the past.

Sorry, but you asked. This is a vintage forum, not COW.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Congratulations Marcus!!!

And welcome to the lounge.
You have a good taste and you are very skilled - that fedora conversion is really great:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards:

Tom

kiltie

Practically Family
conversion

I can't say I have an especially strong opinion ^^^ either way, but there are a couple of things that are kinda cool/interesting. For one, it's neat that you saw what you did when you picked up the homburg. Secondly, the reactions that the conversion provoked are really interesting. It's sorta like old hotrods... Why would you chop up a '38 Ford, give it a flame job, etc...To some, that's blasphemy, to others it's art. The funny thing being that because both are deemed "vintage", it's more roundly accepted. Having an appreciation for craftsmanship, the form and funtion, the general attitude of a given era and living in the past are two entirely different things. I'd be hard pressed to believe that there are many ( read: one ) who would readily give up their computer ( thus severing the umbilicus to the FL ), cell phone, microwave, etc... in sacrifice to the great "vintage god". If you want vintage, I've got a bottle of wine from 1997 that says "vintage" right on the lable, so it must be good. It's a word that has virtually no meaning anymore because it has been bastardized much as the words "love", "beautiful", and "hate". In nineteen - hundred and whatever year those hats were made, no one would have batted an eyelash if you'd done that stuff them. Why no strong opinions for/against those who've cut down "vintage" cowboy hats? Now it'll raise holy hell in here to some people, and not so much to others. I look foward to reading the replies to your post. You can't buy this kind of entertainment.

RBH

Bartender
Great job Marcus!
I think the conversion is great, I for one have no use for a homburg.
I am not crazy about such a wide bound edge but the hat looks 120 % better to me.
Keep up the good work!

By the way WELCOME TO THE LOUNGE!

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
It didn't make a perfect fedora instead.
The binding is odd and the brim is wavy and strangely shaped.

To call the original homburg bad because it had a
high crown and wide brim is simply to lack an understanding
of vintage homburgs. Personally, I have been looking for a
homburg of such dimensions in my size. You ruined one.
There are plenty of stiff "Indy" hats to be had, but precious
few homburgs with those dimensions made by great hat makers
of the past.

Who said I made it an Indy and who said it was stiff. This homburg was not stiff at all, it was easily the softest from the get go. It is also most definitely not an Indy hat, the pinch isn't nearly tight enough. You sir are just biased against people from COW.

I don't see how I've ruined it either. I didn't rip out the ribbon, sweatband, lining or bound edge. A pencil roll is not something that's impossible to replace. Personally, I don't give a crap about 100% screen accuracy or having all my hats in an Indy style. I care about a hat that looks good, and I think that one looks better as a fedora instead of a homburg. Also as far as I'm concerned there is nothing inherent different between a homburg and fedora's dna. They start off the same, the only real difference is the pencil roll and brim binding.

If you wanted this hat so badly, you'd have to offer me 100 Adventurebilt Deluxes and then beg me to want to give up this hat. That's how much I like it as a fedora.

RBH

Bartender
feltfan said:

Not entirely true. While it is true this is not Club Obi Wan, this forum is not completely vintage either.
We have some great hat makers here, not a one has made a vintage hat.
They harken back to vintage times ... but alas they are not vintage.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Property Ownership

Personally, I'm a fan of customizing a hat to suit my own tastes. I know it may not be Kosher with all others who are interested in this field but the key point is that if I buy it, own it, possess it - it's mine to "improve" or "ruin" as I see fit. Great sense of community on this forum - really do love the site - but glad to see we haven't adopted the community property philosophy in the good ol' U - S of A.
Gene

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Great hats! Great look! And welcome! Don't let some drive you off. This is a great place to hang...your hat! :)

PS - By the way, could you expand on what you did to make that Homburg a fedora. I have a Stetson I want to ruin. Seriously.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Pretty much almost nothing. Basically you should cover the hat's brim with a cloth and you use an iron to flatten out the pencil roll. The second step would basically be to bash it like you would a fedora. There's no guide to this. In fact, you could even just turn down the front brim without ironing and you would sort of have a fedora look then, but the pencil roll will make the brim little too curved if not ironed, but it is indeed a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21