Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new pair of Aeros.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
As some of you might remember, i went to the Aero factory last year and ordered a couple of jackets. I originally was going for one, but as we all know, the best laid plans go wrong, and i ended up ordering a summer and a winter jacket. Well, yesterday was the day i got both of them, and the wait was worth it!

L1000142_zpsknh0cwt5.jpg

So, the first one is a modified Bootlegger, inspired by Mysterio's D pocket.
Basically, i have always wanted a D pocket, but was never a fan of the J-24 thing as it was too busy and too biker for my taste. A bit of research made me realize that the D pocket originally started on much simpler early pilot jackets. I got my plan together, asked Denny if it could be done, and he said yes.

We took some time to get the sizing right, but after multiple trials and errors this is the final result:

Bootlegger, with an added D pocket, button cuff and yoked back. No chest pocket and an open handwarmer pocket. We also removed the epaulettes. It is made of their regular brown FQHH, and lined in cotton tartan. I did ask them to go for the darkest most red hides they had.

L1000165_zpsby91urmi.jpg

L1000172_zps4tyy9iw9.jpg

L1000169_zpscazkqcop.jpg

L1000166_zpsmr0wsxur.jpg

L1000174_zpszw6fdhpb.jpg

Fit wise i couldn't be happier! I originally tried on a 42 bootlegger with a thick tweed lining. Once i received my jacket, which was the same size with a thin cotton lining, it felt absolutely huge. Denny was great and just took it back, sending me a size 42 STF bootlegger to try. Unfortunately this was too small for me and really pinched me in the armpits. He ended up making a hybrid pattern, using a 40 Bootlegger body with some 42 STF Bootlegger arms to make them a bit slimmer.
The result is great, and i really appreciated the fact that Denny went out of his way to make sure i had a jacket that fit how i wanted.

L1000186_zpsnkiffffq.jpg

L1000184_zpshujfl78x.jpg

L1000189_zpsuqxpquot.jpg

L1000190_zpsaf5qcvdi.jpg

The second jacket was a little bit of an impulse buy... I had been looking for a winter jacket, something with a warm lining that i could wear comfortably with some layers underneath, and the Original Hercules just felt perfect for the job.
They had a size 40 in store when i visited, but it was a little bit on the tight side, so i decided to order a size 42, no special modifications other than body and sleeve length.
It is made of tumbled horsehide, lined in heavy cord (and i mean HEAVY!) in the body and moleskin in the sleeves. The cuffs and collar are lined with cord.

The stitching on this one looks amazing! The triple stitching along the back panels, the front, and the sleeves really is a nice detail, it really looks special. The tumbled hide also has a really nice grain, it is much softer than the regular FQHH and looks like it won't even need a break in.

L1000143_zpstnqgghpw.jpg

L1000150_zpsvpefguwu.jpg

L1000149_zps82cy1vin.jpg

L1000159_zpszpekhxi1.jpg

L1000162_zpso3ohxujz.jpg

L1000153_zpsihtmjeuj.jpg

Fit wise it is also very nice. A bit larger, and a bit more room to layer, but i like it.
Having the side buckles at the bottom feels weird, but once you have the jacket on it makes a lot of sens. Because the bottom back panel isn't very wide, and there is a massive front drop, the side straps actually work really well in pulling it all together neatly and blocking out draft.
For once i feel that the usual bunching you get when using the side straps is part of the design rather than a side effect of the "one size fits all" mentality.

L1000177_zpsdlb6wz3c.jpg

L1000181_zpsb9akscga.jpg

L1000180_zpsvihhgoy9.jpg

L1000183_zpsei5er0cj.jpg

All in all i couldn't be happier. Visiting the factory was great, the ordering process was painless, and although there was a lot of faffing with the sizing of the Bootlegger, Denny was great at sorting it out and never made me feel like i should keep a jacket i wasn't completely happy with. Thank you Denny for your patience, and thank you Julie (Bootlegger) and Paula (Hercules) for doing such great work, both jackets are pretty much stitch perfect!

The last thing to say is, the size 42 version of this D pocket will probably be on sale this week end at the Aero factory, who will be my jacket twin?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Two very nice acquisitions and fantastic pictures, although I am particularly partial to your Original Hercules. When I ordered my Teamster way back when, I came within a hair of ordering mine with corduroy body shell instead of the moleskin I chose. I noted you did order moleskin sleeves whereas I ordered cotton satin sleeves. Like your Original Herc was ordered primarily as a winter jacket, my Teamster was also bought as my cold, foul weather coat. However, your winters are far more cold & foul than ours in N Texas, and I think you could not have possibly made a better choice. Anyhow, well done with both and congratulations!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, I forgot to mention, great looking jeans. What are they? Here in the Colonies it seems we have far less access to high end selvedge denim than what is sold in Europe.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fanch, yeah this lining combination is definitely not Texas friendly, although the way things are going, i am scared i won't be able to use that Hercules too much here either.
It feels like we haven't had a proper winter in London in ages...

The jeans are Iron heart IH-634S-14, they are their new "thin" denim, great summer thickness.

Both perfect, beautiful jackets, spot on fits. That Trojan inspired Bootlegger is from another planet. That is ridiculously cool, absolutely love that jacket and can't even come up with the words to describe how awesome that is!!! Man that's just incredible!!! Congrats!!!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Both perfect, beautiful jackets, spot on fits. That Trojan inspired Bootlegger is from another planet. That is ridiculously cool, absolutely love that jacket and can't even come up with the words to describe how awesome that is!!! Man that's just incredible!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks, these are the jackets that inspired it, as i understand it that pocket configuration was pretty usual in the early 30s.
In the 40s it moved on to the motorcycle jackets and evolved into things like the Buco J-24 etc.

talon1_zps46nkwbw2.jpg

s-l1600_zpsa1elpsly.jpg

30shb_zpsavti1r8c.jpg

singer

Familiar Face
Wow, phenomenal jackets. I would wear both of those regularly. The D pocket bootlegger is especially eye catching. Nice Iron Hearts as well. I'll have to stop by Self Edge to try their "lightweight" 14oz denim!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Excellent jackets, really unique style in both of those. Wear these well, they are both keepers and fit is spot-on!! Nice write up by the way!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks Fanch, yeah this lining combination is definitely not Texas friendly, although the way things are going, i am scared i won't be able to use that Hercules too much here either.
It feels like we haven't had a proper winter in London in ages...

The jeans are Iron heart IH-634S-14, they are their new "thin" denim, great summer thickness.
Super nice, they look damned good on you. Like your beard, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24