Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Shaving SAGA

Twelvefret

New in Town
So, about six months ago there was a thread here about shaving. Since then I have acquired about 25 vintage razors and one brush. I've passed on six to family and friends.

I've found rare razors by educating myself what to look for inexpensively.

I have found GEM, Schick, Gillette, Barbasol/Conrad, and new PAA brand Bakelite slant type razors.

I am achieving the best results of my life and it is fun.

My oldest razor is a "old type" made in 1916.

Edward

Bartender
And of course it's a damn sight cheaper than buying plastic multi blade new jobs

Well, it is and it isn't.... Of course, given how much cheaper the blades are, you do recoup the basic start up costs quickly. The problem is if you get caught by the bug for collecting handles - that can get pricey fast! ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My oldest razor is a "old type" made in 1916.
Old type as in open blade and leather strop?
cut throat razor.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I too have a beard, the trimmed "Commander Riker" type, but I shave nearly every day with one of 5 (for now) safety razors. All Gillettes. The oldest is the latest acquisition, a 1930s "New" model, a 3-piece open comb with short teeth. As I understand it, it holds the blade more rigidly than many other razors, helping to foster a closer shave. I dunno -- but it's a pleasure to use the razors, to try new blades and soaps or creams. All while saving some money over the late$$$t cartridge items from Gillette, Harry's, etc.

Twelvefret

New in Town
I too have a beard, the trimmed "Commander Riker" type, but I shave nearly every day with one of 5 (for now) safety razors. All Gillettes. The oldest is the latest acquisition, a 1930s "New" model, a 3-piece open comb with short teeth. As I understand it, it holds the blade more rigidly than many other razors, helping to foster a closer shave. I dunno -- but it's a pleasure to use the razors, to try new blades and soaps or creams. All while saving some money over the late$$$t cartridge items from Gillette, Harry's, etc.

It's a good way to enjoy a daily activity. My oldest is a 1916 Old Type Gillette. Other razors include Schick injectors from the '30's and GEM type from the teens through the late '50's. I have a couple Barbasol Floating Heads made by Conrad. There is one from Sheffield England.

I've decided to try a straight razor and have a Feather shavette style with special safety blades.

I now make my own later using Van der Hagen soap and a very nice synthetic brush.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Welcome to the world of good ol' wet shaving!
I have been perfectly happy with my 60's Gillette Super Speed. It was my first DE and I havn't felt the need to use anything else.
I started with a boar brush which is still my daily (though it is starting to show the use) and have a nice badger as well.

Now soaps on the other hand have been many and varied. However, my most used is plain old Proaso green followed by Stirling Lime and Stirling Bergamot Lavender.

It is great when one can find things to make mundane tasks more interesting. Wet shaving and the gear/ products that go with it can be a fun hobby as you are well aware I'm sure!

Cheers!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the world of good ol' wet shaving!
I have been perfectly happy with my 60's Gillette Super Speed. It was my first DE and I havn't felt the need to use anything else.Cheers!
Same with me. I bought a few when I first started, then settled on a Super Speed. I've never bought another. It works great and I see no reason for variety when comes to shaving.

Twelvefret

New in Town
Same with me. I bought a few when I first started, then settled on a Super Speed. I've never bought another. It works great and I see no reason for variety when comes to shaving.
If only shaving is the motivation, I agree. If a varied experience and to connect to the past, there are reasons to explore and gain the skills necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy