Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My sheepskin jacket's leather tear

Naphtali

Practically Family
My Aero B-3 jacket suffered a tear along the left forearm. I had it repaired, including matching leather patches on both forearms. The repair is being repaired. While I was at the repair shop, I noticed what I think is extremely thin sheepskin used in sleeves?

Is sheepskin routinely used for flight jackets significantly thinner than goatskin, horsehide, or cowhide used in the same area of a jacket where those materials are used? Is sheepskin significantly more fragile than these other materials? The purposes for the query include:

1. While I have been shopping for an ANJ-4 to replace my B-3 (mostly for improved fit), B-3's apparent fragility has me wondering - and reconsidering a B-2 jacket that may be available.

2. While there are several best-quality jacket manufacturers, one noticeable difference frequently mentioned on the Lounge is that weight or thickness or heaviness of hides differs among them. Were I to buy an ANJ-4, would I be [more] satisfied or reassured by buying from Lost Worlds, generally acknowledged to create heaviest jackets in [any] class?

3. If I am asking the wrong questions, please put me right.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes sheepskin is significantly thinner/weaker than the other hides that you mentioned. Of those, goatskin is believed to be the sturdiest in terms of tear strength (measured against e.g. a horsehide of similar weight).

Yes sheepskin is significantly thinner/weaker than the other hides that you mentioned. Of those, goatskin is believed to be the sturdiest in terms of tear strength (measured against e.g. a horsehide of similar weight).
I think Kangaroo is #1, but it's like nothing I'd want in a jacket - very tough, stiff, etc. Look at all those old jackets from WWII in goat and horse - they still look great (in some cases) but the one thing I notice is the horse can get pretty dried and nasty around the collar bends. Goat seems to hold up better in the long run if it's been abused. Maybe Andrew can comment more as he has lots of original WWII jackets in both.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Goat is the best long term bet provided that the small 'pebbles' in grain (sometimes seen in much older jackets) don't peel to reveal the softer hide underneath.
Personally, after capeskin I prefer goat to horsehide, but it does take a little longer to wear in.

Goat is the best long term bet provided that the small 'pebbles' in grain (sometimes seen in much older jackets) don't peel to reveal the softer hide underneath.Personally, after capeskin I prefer goat to horsehide, but it does take a little longer to wear in.
I think the longer break-in time is why some prefer the HH. You an wear goat a long time and it still looks new.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Sheepskin is more fragile - I hosed one of my lesser B-3's on a rose tree in my yard. At that point, I decided no more sheep for me. There are other cold-weather jackets I'd rather have now anyway. The ANJ-4 being one I'd like. Here's one that was posted up on VLJ and it looks very nice.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=177

We agree that a best-quality ANJ-4 is useful and pleasing to the eye. What gives me "dancing feet" is its basis leather being sheepskin. My B-3 has substantial horsehide facings as wear protection. ANJ-4s have comparable wear protection. But the tear monster senses material's weakness and attacks implacably.

As I wrote, Lost Worlds has a reputation of creating jackets of leather so heavy jackets nearly defy normal break-in. Were I confident their sheepskins were, in fact, significantly heavier/thicker than what is present in my Aero B-3, I believe that removes fragility as an issue. Again, from several years of reading Lounge threads on the topic, I have little confidence that I would receive an accurate answer of the question from a telephone call to Lost Worlds.
Regarding the B-2 I mentioned, my hesitation pertains to its insulation. My B-3 is roasty-toasty during our Montana winter. The B-2 photographs I received show a "thinnish" wool liner. Leather jackets are hell on wheels for blocking wind, but the wool liner? . . .

I've not has the chance yet to take my newer jackets to Montana. Hopefully this fall/winter to see family. They did well last winter in UK, France and Scotland. But for Montana, I'd shoot for something more warm. How about a barnstormer? They're pretty hefty!

JLStorm

Practically Family
I work on sites that tend to tear apart clothing semi regularly and I had aero overlay my entire b3 in mid weight horsehide. It wears like iron. Its not as resilient as their heavy weight steer, but it does the job and is very flexible and easy to wear.

trapp

Practically Family
Interesting thread. I never realized goatskin was actually tougher and more tear-resistant than fqhh--just thought it took longer to wear in. Glad to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda