Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My very cool Christmas present - 1940s Kitchen set!

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
My Dad & I found this in a local antique mall. I wasn't looking for a kitchen set, but I ended up taking this home as a Christmas present from my Dad, because it was way too cool to pass up.

It's white enamel with black silhouette signed by Mochi. It has TWO tops. The first one has side panels that you can push under to make it smaller and then there is an extra rectangle table top that you can use on this base. It has curved chrome legs and 4 wooden chairs. There were some dings in the porcelain on the square table and two of the chairs have been repaired, but otherwise it is in great condition.

The current paint job is kind of sloppy and a dull off-white. My Dad is going to tighten up the chairs for me and then I'm going to repaint the chairs and the wood under the table a bright shiny white with black lines in the grooves on the chairs.

My kitchen at the cottage has old painted wooden cabinets with just a slab of painted wood on top for the counter. So I'm going to see if I can use the large rectangle table top as a counter on the kitchen cabinets. Now I'm thinking that I've got to pull that junky Berber carpet out of there and put down black and white checkered vinyl tiles!

2110926610_043dcb6ed1.jpg

2110148645_8f46b0bd47.jpg

2110926680_45626bd701_o.jpg

The second table top

2110148695_ab43636813_m.jpg

The chairs have cool grooved details which I'm going to pinstripe black.

2110926712_986dbd5b47.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Carol! I've never seen one that elaborate before! The table base is to die for.

I have a simpler set with chairs almost exactly like yours except they're stained, not painted. All in storage, alas.

Please post pictures when you've finished the repainting!

K

kpreed

Very, Very nice. Congrats to you and I really hope you will enjoy it. Looks great! :D

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone! Thanks for letting me show off the set, I really love it.

They were asking $325 for the set and we got them down to $260, which I think is great for the table, 4 chairs, plus the extra top which I still can't believe was still with the set. When I got home I searched online and found a little info about Mochi and I also found a closed ebay auction for a similar table also done by Mochi - RARE-ART-DECO-PORCELAIN-TOP-TABLE-DINING-SIGNED-MOCHI - and that one sold for $250 and it was just the table, no chairs.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Maybe you could strip the existing paint and find out what the original colors were. There may have been an interesting pattern to the paint. Anyhow, that is truly an exceptionally snazzy set. Brilliant move to grab it. Congrats! Merry Christmas to you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot