Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Wonderful" Life

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
YES!!! It all seems too good to be true, but 2 great days so far. Just a different life. There will be challenges...after all it's still work, but that abusive mentality is just is not there from what Im seeing.
I'm still getting reports from behind enemy lines, and it seems uglier than ever. Apparently the supervisor brought the management team into a back room and screamed at them for a full hour in front of subordinates.
That will never be me ever again.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
YES!!! It all seems too good to be true, but 2 great days so far. Just a different life. There will be challenges...after all it's still work, but that abusive mentality is just is not there from what Im seeing.
I'm still getting reports from behind enemy lines, and it seems uglier than ever. Apparently the supervisor brought the management team into a back room and screamed at them for a full hour in front of subordinates.
That will never be me ever again.
It sounds like this supervisor is a maniac. Why hasn't anyone lodged a complaint against him? Or at the very least record one of his tantrums and shame him on YouTube! ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It sounds like this supervisor is a maniac. Why hasn't anyone lodged a complaint against him? Or at the very least record one of his tantrums and shame him on YouTube! ;)

I'm starting to wonder if the supervisor isn't related to somebody or something like that and that is how he holds his position. This is an HR lawsuit waiting to happen. Any aware company would get rid of him just because of the risk of lawsuits, yet alone the decreased productivity.

flat-top

Well, I will tell you guys that I worked for a private company, and although it was huge, the higher ups were like one big circle of bi-coastal friends. They are pretty fearless.
I've been hearing more crazy unprofessional stuff each day too. The woman who is training me now applied at my previous company a few months ago. The same supervisor interviewed her, and completely trash talked other managers that currently work for the company. This was during an interview. She wound up getting an offer but turned it down due to the ugly vibe she got. I assured her that she made a very wise move and I after I told her my horror stories, she was, well, horrified.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
What would be pretty cool is to "accidently" bump into your former supervisor outside the workplace and ask how things have been going since you left. :D

Make sure to have a hidden camera handy for the encounter!!

Kishtu

Practically Family
So glad to hear that things are on an upward curve, Flat-top.
Many, many years ago (ahem) I had a job I hated, an OH who hated me and used to use me as his verbal punchbag, and some very bad habits. I remember sitting on a bus home one winter night in tears because I didn;t want to go home and I couldn't see any way not to go other than a very final one....I think you have to have one defining "this far and no further" moment before you have that final incentive to do something. Just the act of doing something, even if it's a futile something, lifts your spirits...I find.

Me, I left the creature and the job, I moved from one side of the UK to the other in a hired transit van, I lost most of my clothes, I lost most of my money, and I lost *all* my friends. (And the dog.) But I kept the cats, and I got my mojo back.

flat-top

Thanks Kishtu! Yeah, I feel like my life is slowly getting back to normal. Although it's weird.... I still feel affected by my recent hardships. I went away with the family over the weekend, and was having a hard time relaxing and mingling with others. I'm not my old self yet, but I'm getting there. The new job is good, and home life is great. I just need to move on.

Kishtu

Practically Family
You said it!! Easier said than done though isn't it, moving on... it's so tempting to just hang on to a bit here and there.
I think you can tell just from reading your posts that the old you is coming back, though... you can't, as they say, keep a good man down!

Feraud

Bartender
Well, I will tell you guys that I worked for a private company, and although it was huge, the higher ups were like one big circle of bi-coastal friends. They are pretty fearless.
I've been hearing more crazy unprofessional stuff each day too. The woman who is training me now applied at my previous company a few months ago. The same supervisor interviewed her, and completely trash talked other managers that currently work for the company. This was during an interview. She wound up getting an offer but turned it down due to the ugly vibe she got. I assured her that she made a very wise move and I after I told her my horror stories, she was, well, horrified.
Quite a few companies are rife with horrible business practices. I also worked for a few doozies and can share horror stories!
The best thing to do is move on and take a good life lesson about the workplace. I've learned as much about business practices from bad bosses as from the good.

What would be pretty cool is to "accidently" bump into your former supervisor outside the workplace and ask how things have been going since you left. :D

Make sure to have a hidden camera handy for the encounter!!
I had the pleasure of being asked to return and do freelance work at a company I left due to incredibly bad department management. This company didn't have the common sense to have someone in the department call me. I received a phonecall from their temporary IT person! It was my pleasure to tell the person I had no interest in working in that department. She knew exactly why I felt the way I did. The additional income was no incentive.

flat-top

A few of my old co workers having been keeping in touch with me, and they say they are ready to walk, and want to file official complaints against the supervisor. I am of course encouraging them to do so. I never actually made any complaints; my official reason for leaving was "a better opportunity", since I did not want them to think that they broke me. They did, but did not want them to know that they were "winning". I got to leave on my own terms, not because I was pushed out.

Big Man

I came to this thread late, but have read it through. I am so glad that things have worked out for the good.

I have had three or four similar experiences over the course of my life where I have felt that I was at the end of my rope, so I can relate on a personal level to flat-top. As a young man I found myself, quite unexpectedly, a single-parent raising two small children on my own. I had a crappy job with a crappy boss, which made a very bad and traumatic personal life situation seem worse. I could have easily, and I mean VERY EASILY, choked the life out of a couple individuals with my bare hands. The one thing that stopped me from doing something rash was some sound advice from my dear Dad. He told me: "Son, no matter how bad things get, no matter how bad people treat you, no matter how bad you feel like you want to get even, conduct yourself in such a way that you can look at yourself in the mirror." That was sound advice and has been the way I've tried to live. So far, it has served me well.

On a bit of a lighter note, my first public job was in a small manufacturing business. This was in 1976, and I was just married and still going to college. I should have known better when the owner/boss said to me when I went to ask about a job, "why should I hire YOU - you're getting an education?" Well, he did hire me (he needed the help) and I stayed with the job for the next three years. It was a bad job, a bad boss, and terrible working conditions. His workers left him right and left, some only worked for a couple hours before walking out. I was determined to stay, partly out of spite and partly because I didn't want to be like the others and just walk out the door without warning. Well, to make a long story short, I eventually found a better job, closer to home and with great benefits. I told the owner/boss that I would be leaving and that I would like to work a two-week notice to give him time to get someone in and trained in the job I was doing. He gruffly said, "You are fired."

Flash forward 30 years. I'm the Assistant Fire Chief at a department near that same old factory where I used to work back in the '70s. We get a mutual aid call to respond to a fully involved industrial fire. I lead two attack crews in to the office area and salvage the company's business records and files. Sometimes it takes more than 30 years to "get satisfaction." This was a double satisfaction, I did the best job I could and saved the company's important files, AND I got to watch that damned old factory burn to the ground.

And way, best of luck to you, flat-top, in your new job. I hope all your troubles are behind you.

Not quite as bad as some, but I'm in probably the 4th lowest pit of my adult, working life. Being married for 21 years and working a "real job" for 30, I've had ups and downs like most. I've never made more money, but I've never been this unhappy either. Personally, I have some big challenges with my mother, and the job sucks. But I can't complain as I can pay the bills and still have some nice things too. Odd, the personal stuff really is more of a weight than having enough money - although if that goes away I had better remove all the NyQuil :) I hope things get better for all here. Good people deserve better.

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_clapRead through this thread here and I'm glad things are turning around for you Flat-top.
It was a somewhat eye-opening thread too, as I was thinking like so many do, that I was the only one with a crappy job working for corporate nazis. Good to know I'm not alone in that, but makes me kinda sick inside too, knowing that most corporations treat employees the way they do. Doesn't bode well for any sort of economic recovery, just makes matters worse for everyone caught in the evil system. But we all survive, and there are happy endings.

flat-top

Gentlemen, thank you for your stories and support. They mean so much!!
I just got some more hysterical news about my previous employer: It seems that the gentleman hired as my replacement was fired from 2 of his past companies for stealing cash bank deposits. Another amazing call by my former supervisor.;) My industry is a very small incestuous group where everyone knows someone or worked with someone etc. I got wind of this today and couldn't not believe it. Of course it serves them right. I made sure that I let someone on the inside know of my info, if only to let them know that I KNOW what a mess that place and my former boss are.
:D

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I am SO glad things are looking up for you. All I can say is that everyone goes through these periods, and they DO get better. It may feel like the world is closing in and ending, but it isn't (as you see!)

I don't have any sage words of wisdom, as I'm going through a rough time myself right now. My job is fine, I actually love it, but personally and financially, things are extremely trying. It takes a physical toll as well. I don't want to go into specifics, but it is very tough, and some days, I just don't even want to get out of bed.

Just about the only thing that helps me is to realize that no matter how down I get about it, I'm not totally at rock bottom and things could truly be worse. I am not dying of an incurable disease, I didn't just lose a loved one, I still have a home and people who care for me. You gotta find something positive to hang onto.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Flat-Top,

Man, I am so sorry for not seeing this thread sooner; I rarely log on when I visit the lounge so I tend to miss most the obsveration bar threads.

It is good to see things are looking up; both me and the wife are so happy that things are turning around for you. Whenever you or your family needs a west coast get away, just let us know!
-nick

flat-top

Things are so much different now. I honestly haven't been this HAPPY in years! It's sad that I allowed a career to mess up my life so completely.
And Nick, I would LOVE to make a West Coast trek again soon!!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Things are so much different now. I honestly haven't been this HAPPY in years! It's sad that I allowed a career to mess up my life so completely.
And Nick, I would LOVE to make a West Coast trek again soon!!

Hurrah!!! So happy for you, Flat-Top!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner