Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nakata Shoten A2?

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Hi,

It doesn't look like a badly constructed jacket, but its proportions are a bit wrong - e.g. the pockets appear to be too large. The collar seems to be a bit strange too, and the epaulet is rather wide. It will come down to the fit, as long as you are not a stitch counter, and it may end up being a great purchase.

This being said, if you are going for a budget A-2, I can't recommend AVI LTHR from Denmark enough. They have a goatskin Bronco, which is modeled after an original contract. Everyone I know who bought one sings praises of it.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hi,

It doesn't look like a badly constructed jacket, but its proportions are a bit wrong - e.g. the pockets appear to be too large. The collar seems to be a bit strange too, and the epaulet is rather wide. It will come down to the fit, as long as you are not a stitch counter, and it may end up being a great purchase.

This being said, if you are going for a budget A-2, I can't recommend AVI LTHR from Denmark enough. They have a goatskin Bronco, which is modeled after an original contract. Everyone I know who bought one sings praises of it.

I've looked at the AVI LTHR ones and they look great but the only issue is that they don't have any in a 36. But thanks for your help.

Technonut

Practically Family
Nakata Shoten is the same Japanese military surplus store which sells the Morgan Productions 'Morgan Memphis Belle' jacket line-up. The one pictured in the auction looks to be a cowhide 'house' jacket, and a notch under the Morgan in quality. Personally, I would keep looking until a horsehide Morgan pops up for a good price.

As for the pocket size, most original A-2 makers used the same sized pockets, no matter the size, so the ones on the Nakata Shoten do not look out of proportion for a size 36.. Just imagine the same pockets on a 42-46. ;) Same kind of thing for the epaulets.. For the current price, one certainly wouldn't get hurt on the Nakata Shoten for a decent looking, fairly period accurate A-2, which should look even better with more wear.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Nakata Shoten is the same Japanese military surplus store which sells the Morgan Productions 'Morgan Memphis Belle' jacket line-up. The one pictured in the auction looks to be a cowhide 'house' jacket, and a notch under the Morgan in quality. Personally, I would keep looking until a horsehide Morgan pops up for a good price.

As for the pocket size, most original A-2 makers used the same sized pockets, no matter the size, so the ones on the Nakata Shoten do not look out of proportion for a size 36.. Just imagine the same pockets on a 42-46. ;) Same kind of thing for the epaulets.. For the current price, one certainly wouldn't get hurt on the Nakata Shoten for a decent looking, fairly period accurate A-2, which should look even better with more wear.

Thanks for your help. I was wondering if you knew anything in regards to the epaulets. Compared to most newer jackets, the epaulets are a bit different with that sort of square space in between the stitching as opposed to a longer 'bar'. I own another A2 from Cooper/US Wings and it has the same type of epaulets. Any reason for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch