Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name that hat

gtcaz

New in Town
I just saw Blood Diamond for the first time (not great, not terrible) and DiCaprio was wearing a hat near the beginning when he's posing as a NG photog and trying to smuggle diamonds out with some goat herders. The hat looks like maybe an Akubra, though it's pretty beat up. Any ideas? Banjo Patterson or Lawson, maybe?

This is the best still I could find with a quick Google search:

20080731-kgwckirsj1an7cr1qmgdcccfr1.png

warbird

One Too Many
It could be an Akubra. It could be one of dozens of hat makers. That style isn't hard to find and could be made by quite a few custom hatters.

Will Morgan

Vendor
I agree the blood diamond hat has an Australian flavor... but in the trailer, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPX2kXhu7I" at about 33 seconds, where you can see a bit more of the crown, the crown seems squared off to me like you get with a sewn top on a canvas or leather hat. That, the band, and how the brim curves like a wire supported brim more than a fur felt, make me think of BC Hat or Jacaru.

retro50

Familiar Face
Walkabout "Big Red" roo hat. The band matches the one on mine. Same floppy wire-supported brim and brim binding. Most other Aussie leather hats have very stiff brims,even with the wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn