Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name This Plane...from the inside

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Years ago at Long Beach Airport I saw what my Instructor said was a B-something Dragon. I think it was a pre war twin engine bomber. It looked sort of like an A-20 Havoc. That isn't it is it ? I've only saw that plane once never in photos. I remember it looked real heavy sitting there.

Windsock

A-List Customer
ok, my last shot and i'm not hopeful as with the others the windscreen's wider on this one...

R4D-6? Navy variant.

Someone else?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
050215-F-1234P-056.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
O.K. guess this!!! BellyTank this one's for you!!!!

O.K here are some hints-- it was originally built by Ford, and it's Black, and it's supercharged with one of the earliest superchargers brought into the United States.

I have operated it and i can tell you IT FLAT OUT FLIES relatively speaking.

300290569.jpg

Get Some!!!

Cheaterome

KilroyCD

One Too Many
cheaterome said:
O.K here are some hints-- it was originally built by Ford, and it's Black, and it's supercharged with one of the earliest superchargers brought into the United States.

I have operated it and i can tell you IT FLAT OUT FLIES relatively speaking.

300290569.jpg

Get Some!!!

Cheaterome
Well, the Southern California Timing Association emblem shows that it's a Bonneville Salt Flats racer, not an aeroplane (despite the aircraft instruments on the dash). Is it a So-Cal '34 Ford Coupe?

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
The MIKE LANGE Special

Well the scta tag is a little tell but more of a reality based thing it is a 5 window 1932 ford coupe with all of the aforementioned airplane gauges all in working order . Most of the gauges are out of a b-25 and a p-51 from what I know.

The speedo even relies on a pitot tube tucked into the frame horn , all the gauges work and are converted over to a 12 volt electrical system.

So-cal that's funny...Only in it's style. The era he was shooting for was an immediate post war coupe that is southern Kalifornia in it's influence.

Mike is a member of the less known but even more exclusive S.M.T.A. (southern milwaukee timing association) .
Before that he is most well known for his extensive knowledge of pre -war motorcycle restoration and campaigning as well as being a good friend and fellow Cheater.

Peeps the technique

300524742.jpg

300524746.jpg

300524745.jpg

300524743.jpg

Cheaterome

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
So what is the cruising altitude of a '32 Ford? :D

I sigh regretfully at most 30s rods, but this one is just too tasteful not to love. You could drive it to a black tie event.

Yeah I do know what you mean. He has driven it to Harley Davidson's Black and Blue ball so yeah it fits the occasion.

The 32 ford is quintessentially accepted and referred to as a Hotrod. I think the use of the Airplane gauges is just the raddest thing ever. It was done back then and I think Mike just took it to a whole other level.

I have the same tach for mine and my magneto switch for my magneto is for a F4U Corsair... in the box never used.

Sometimes I see pristine 32's and I just think leave it .. it's still cool regardless, having done both restorations and hotrods.

I really never paid attention to the cruising altitude when I was in it:p

The dual temp gauge is split for each head (side)on the motor! It's such a mechanical wonderment that I just listen to the whine of the supercharger and gearbox and quickchange and watch the tach bounce, that's more than got my attention.
There are steel repro's out there for the 3 window and roadster and more and more hotrodders are turning to these as an affordable base to the most ridcoulous price of originals.

Only made one year and getting rarer and rarer.

I think building hotrods in the traditional way, and by that I mean in a postwar American influence is the best way to pay respect to those machines.

That is the way it was done and should be revered no matter what the "Trend" for me at least.

I'm all for the latest builders progressing the industry with technology and new design , I respect it in Awe and wonder at some of the stuff done. It just doesn't trip the trigger.
Having them done up in easter egg colors and tubbed out with 700 Hp monster motors that the owners will never turn a tire in delinquency
is an even greater and more heinous sign of wasted metal.

Cheaterome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner