Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name This Plane...from the inside

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Guess this one.

Left side

cockpitleftsideclose.jpg

Right Side

cockpitrightsideclose.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Looks like the back seat of a Dauntless...

Second thought, no. Definitely American and definitely back seat, though. Possibly a Douglas product judging from the stick.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Not likely, look at where the leading edge is, right behind and below the canopy.

It's got me stumped...I'm digging all over for that layout and not coming up with it.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The back seat throws everyone. Which is actually the pilot's seat, some twenty years before Bell's Cobra adopted the position.

When helicopters had wings.

XR-1AatEddystonePA.jpg

XR-1Aprofile.jpg

The winner of the U.S. Army Air Corps first helicopter contract, before Sikorsky, the Platt-LePage XR-1A, circa 1944.
The designer, Dr. W. Laurence LePage,(at center) can be called the grandfather of the U.S. Tilt-Rotor. But that is another story.
XR-1Acoloreddystone.jpg

Bonus for any rotary-wing drivers, can you spot what is missing in the cockpit photo?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Not sure.

I can say it's definitely American (but then the last 4 we've had to guess on have all been American :D )

Actually from the instrument and controls set up, it looks like it could be a side by side trainer of some sort.

I'm off to have a look in my books.

It's from a US maker though...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Actually Kilroy this was easier as I had one of my books out about the Fleet Air Arm the other day and obviously this was in it.

It's a Martin Maryland.

But yet another US made aircraft, I'm going to have to mix things up a bit...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Right here's one...

3.gif
Smithy, this is going to be a tough one. I don't see a control yoke or stick. At first, I thought the handle for the fire axe was the top of the stick. The simple rudder bar makes me think it's a trainer. However, the blue apparatus, which looks like a pressure valve with gauges, throws me. I need to dig farther...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
Smithy, this is going to be a tough one. I don't see a control yoke or stick. At first, I thought the handle for the fire axe was the top of the stick. The simple rudder bar makes me think it's a trainer. However, the blue apparatus, which looks like a pressure valve with gauges, throws me. I need to dig farther...

Hi Kilroy,

Sorry not the greatest of pics but there is a stick just out of the picture. I'll give a hint, it's a single seater ;)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Well Smithy, you almost got me on this one...

I spent hours looking through my resources and nearly came up empty-handed. But it appears to be one of the Yakovlev fighters, and I'd guess it's one of the Yak-3UA that were produced in the 1990s, using Allison V-1710 engines instead of the original Kimov V-12.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Kilroy, you are very much correct, it was a Yak 3 :eusa_clap

Right now to have a shufti at what you've posted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou