Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy CPO shirt

rgraham

A-List Customer
I'm thinking about picking up a Navy CPO shirt like I used to have back in the 60's. I've looked at some places online, and prices seem to be all over the place. Does anyone know where they might sell them that are of the original style and melton wool as issued back in the 50's and 60's?
Thanks.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to know what the original style of them was. The first time I'd seen mention of the term 'CPO jacket', it was a plaid Montgomery Wards wool-ish shirt, with haphazzardly-fashioned chest pockets and buttons with an anchor design. It seems that other people refer to these same shirts as completely different names.

Was the original just solid navy blue? Like this, perhaps:
http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/fidelity-sportswear-wool-cpo-shirt-p315.aspx

I bought one of the modern-fashioned "CPO jackets", made by Fidelity and designed by Gerald & Stewart (not the Fidelity shirt at VtArmyNavy.com) and it was horrible (sent it back). Even though it measured larger than my chest size, I could barely move my arms while wearing it. It's obvious to me that the internet has brought us to a point where anyone can pretend to be an experienced, well-regarded designer of clothing. You're smart to seek out an original-styled CPO shirt (whatever that happens to be).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

I looked at the Fidelity shirt, but read it was a wool-blend. Not sure an authentic CPO shirt in 100% melton wool exists anymore at a reasonable price.

Bemidji and Johnson Woolen Mills have nice 100% wool shirt-jacs, but that's probably another thread (and a lot more money).

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I looked at the Fidelity shirt, but read it was a wool-blend. Not sure an authentic CPO shirt in 100% melton wool exists anymore at a reasonable price.
Where did you see that? Wool garments are supposed to list the actual percentage of wool if it's a blend. VT-ArmyNavy takes the time to do that for their extensive list of surplus wool blankets on their website. I'd think they'd do that for a shirt as well.

alec0226

New in Town
Fidelity sportswear CPO looks fine.
I have a H&M CPO shirt, 65% wool if I don't remember wrong. It has a small problem, the collar stand has no lining, so my neck is always itching wearing it.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Alright, no-go for the Fidelity shirt. Wool content of 75% is not good enough, dammit, not good enough.

Non-tartan examples still needed. A variety of colors would be nice too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner