Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help changing my hair routine!

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hey ladies-

I know you will give me the best advice here. With the humidity and also with my hair needed a break from heat I want to try pincurling or sponge rolling at night to do my hair in the AM. But I have some questions/concerns I hope you can advise me on.

* I have fine hair. Should I blow dry at night a little and then use rollers or just do wet right out of the shower with my Lotta Body?

* What would you suggest I cover it with? I sleep an roll around a bit so need it to stay in place

* I also have hair that can be a bit oily. If I wash at night, should I be okay the rest of the day?

* I will also want to shower maybe in the AM (just feel cleaner somehow) how can I protect my hair. I have a shower cap but sometimes my hair gets wet!

Thanks for reading and any other tips/tricks greatly appreciated!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi vampygirl!

The best advice I have is experiment and find out what works best for your hair, but, for reference, here's what I do:

I have fine hair, slowly going coarse and grey. I'm half Native American, a group of people not know for fabulously curly hair. ;) The only thing that works for me is a wet set overnight night, with setting lotion and set in pin curls. I can apply heat to my hair, but it turns the curls into body.

Each day, I use a touch of hair wax to smooth any frizz, from slopping pin curling. I occassionally use hair spray, but it tends to make my hair feel stiky in a way that is not pleasing to me.

It took couple of weeks to adjust from a daily shampoo, but my hair is very happy and healthier now that I wash it every 3 days. I sometimes go 4 days and it looks quite oily to me, although other people have not agreed with my assessment.

I read someone on the Lounge that some ladies pin curl the front and roller the back. I tried it last night, pulled out the rollers and had myself one sassy 'fro. I didn't have time this morning to tame the beast but will give it one more try when I have time to spend fine-tuning, but it may not work for me.

I put a bandana on my head and use those duck-bill clips for my pin curls, rather than bobby pins. My head covering doesn't always stay on through the night, but the clips stay in my hair. I don't know what goes on when I sleep but it does not involve staying put in one place. My poor spouse.

I use a shower cap on the non-hair washing days. Perhaps you need a new cap or just take an extra moment to make sure all your hair is in it. An unruly strand or two nearly always peeps out and gets wet, but again, no one notices but you. I put the cap on and fix the front, which, of course, I can see, then bend forward and push the back up into the cap. I also pull the cap over my ears, which seems to keep more water out.

Hope that helps. Happy experimenting.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
vampygirl13 said:
* I will also want to shower maybe in the AM (just feel cleaner somehow) how can I protect my hair. I have a shower cap but sometimes my hair gets wet!

If I need to hop in the shower, I wrap a small towel around my pincurls before I take them out. I suppose if you wanted to be extra careful you could put it over your shower cap even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran