Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help from FLers out there concerning WW2 Letters

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I'm putting this message on here cause I need your help, I am putting together for this years Reading WWII weekend a period mail call for my unit and I need some help with the letters, as in the past mail calls have been simple for me as they have usually been for living histories with 5-10 guys so not a big deal. But for reading we are looking at 30-40 plus letters and frankly after 4 or 5 letters my handwriting tends to go to hell and so does my ideas for letters. So to keep them from becoming redundant I figured I would ask the FL community for help.

If you are interested in helping out here is what you can do:

WRITE!!! I could use anyone who wants to contribute a letter or two to write a period letter and address it in a generic fashion such as Dear: Friend, Sweetheart, brother, father, pal, buddy etc. etc.

Heres the information on our impression our impression is 1st Marine Division summer of 1943.

If interested in sending a letter or two, pm me for the address in sending said letters.

Dont worry about a period envelope that will be taken care of by myself.

Davep

One of the Regulars
I do a mail call for our unit with 25+ piece of mail for the big reenactments. I use a combination of regular mail and v-mail. Vmail is easier because there is no manual handwriting involved, you just need a handwriting font, and text.

As far as the regular mail, I do handwrite those with a fountain pen. The content of the letters are "real ww2" love letters and letters from Mom and a brother or sister. I don't use or make up any of the letters, becuase I'm using real people's letters, therefore no stress trying to dream up what someone could have written over sixty years ago.

I also have a Dear John Letter I throw into the bunch, and a missed placed Draft Notice as well. But for the sake of time, I don't handwrite out two and three page letters, opting to write a short one page (small page) letter.

As you can see the envelopes are exactly duplicates of again real ww2 envelopes, which have been scanned and turned into a envelope template which is cut out and folded. All the orginal addresses have been photoshopped out, so that I have a clean envelope to start with.

I also have a set of again, WW2 era photographs of young women to use as make believe girlfriends from home, for those guys in my unit who are single. I have also taken actual wives and girlfriends pictures and made them a vintage version for the purposes of the mail call. I use a pair of scrapbook scissors to make the photos just a like more vintage on a few of them.

My V-mails use a blank "delivered" v-mail blank which I photoshop on the content text and the to and from address. But there are also lots n lots of Real V-Mail images on the interenet which you can print, or photoshop out the to and from address.

There are many places on the internet with transcribed letters, and also envelope covers (envelopes). Also search out ideas using Google "image search"

mailcall.jpg

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW