Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with outfit...

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Help, I need help in choosing an outfit for a wedding this Friday. It is an outdoor wedding at 7pm. On the invite is says "Corporate casual". I don't want to be too dressed up or too sloppy looking either. I'm thinking a skirt and top with cardigan. Thanks ladies.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never new that wedding invitations actually said "corporate casual" on them. I just assumed that unless you wanted your guests to come in black tie, that you didn't put anything. This is a good thing to know.

As for what you wear, you can't go wrong with a pretty summer dress. You will look elegant, summery, not too over dressed, but still very nice. It is a wedding, and it's just my opinion that if you opt to wear a skirt, it should be a suit, and that can look too dressy. I know the dress code is more casual, but a pretty floral knee length dress could be a nice alternative to a skirt and a top. It just seems a little more "weddingish" (yeah, thats a word). Don't worry about being more dressed up than the other people there. A gal in a dress at a wedding can never be too dressed up, unless you opt to wear a ball gown.
Whatever you wear, I hope you enjoy yourself. Weddings can be a lot of fun.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
"Corporate Casual" is a new one. You generally don't put dress code information on an invite unless you are requesting specific formal attire (black or white tie.) I suppose perspectives have changed a great deal, but I think most people would assume that they should dress nicely for a wedding (though not all do, that's for sure!)

Anyway, I would also suggest wearing a nice, knee-length dress (just not something white or ivory--that's usually considered a wedding no-no.) If the dress was strappy, I would probably wear a light bolero sweater over it, but that's just me. You could also get away with a skirt and blouse/sweater combo, too. And don't forget stockings and heels--I think those are always a must at a wedding.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Corporate casual? Ick. I hate confusing dress codes. I'm still trying to figure out what "semi-formal" means. I know it stopped meaning black tie a long time ago, but I assumed that now it meant women in cocktail dresses, but then all the men show up in khakis and the women in skirts and I just don't know what I'm doing.

Anyway, my advice was going to be what Jitterbugdoll already gave. After 7 usually means long dresses, or at least it did last time I asked someone, but if it's outdoors I'd go with a simple, relatively knee-length or tea-length and a little bolero jacket.

BV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart