Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need info on Flight Apparel Industries G-1 jacket

pjman

Familiar Face
I'm new to the forum, and I'm thrilled at the kind of information I've found here so far!

Anyway, I recently bought this Flight Apparel Industries G-1 flight jacket off eBay from a military surplus store in Pensacola, FL. I'm pretty certain it's not military issue, as I can't find this manufacturer on any list of G-1 makers. The jacket seems pretty well-made: goatskin, heavy and well-done stitching, real mouton fur collar, inside map pocket, pencil/pen pocket under left pocket flap, USN wind flap stamp, nylon lining, and a heavy-guage (if that's the right term) Talon zipper. Anyone know anything about this manufacturer? I've Googled Flight Apparel Industries, and all I can find is that it's a New Jersey company that went out of business many years ago, when the owner was killed in a plane crash. I'd like to know how these jackets stack up in terms of quality and accuracy. I'm very happy with it regardless, but I'm curious about its' history. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like that answered your question. I remember reading that thread when it was started. Too bad the company ended when the owner was killed. Or maybe I should say it is too bad the owner was killed. So, it looks like you got a good G-1. And welcome to the Lounge. P.C.

pjman

Familiar Face
Thanks to you both! But...

I appreciate the link to the thread. But does anyone out there actually HAVE one of these Flight Apparel Industries G-1's? I'd like to hear from someone who has experience with these jackets and how they'd rate the quality and workmanship compared to other G-1's. Thanks again!

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I'd get johnnyjohnny (the guy so nice he named himself twice) involved since he owned/owns one . .

He'll wAx eloQueNt with loQuaCioUs eLocUtioN . . . like always:D

No doubt legume jacket would agree, n'est-ce pas legume?

Shoot. I'm being watched. We love you johnny-j and need YoUr help!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I'd get johnnyjohnny (the guy so nice he named himself twice) involved since he owned/owns one . .

He'll wAx eloQueNt with loQuaCioUs eLocUtioN . . . like always:D

No doubt legume jacket would agree, n'est-ce pas legume?

Shoot. I'm being watched. We love you johnny-j and need YoUr help!

Yes, I agree completely; you said it better than I could.

pjman: J squared gave his opinion on the G-1 in the other thread, and it was favorable. Doesn't look as though you are going to find another member here who has the FAI G-1 plus an issue G-1. I have a couple of the issue models, one from the mid 60s and one current issue, as well as the LL Bean civilian version. If you want, you can send me your jacket for an A&B evaluation. I would be happy to do that for you. However, if it is a size 42 or 44, I can't promise you will get it back before late Spring. But being way down there in Biloxi, you probably won't need it anyway!

RenaissanceMan

New in Town
Hey, Guys - new to the boards. Not necessarily trying to revive the thread, just contributing since there's so little information out there on this brand.

I have experience with G-1s from FAI and their later name, Kropp Industries (hereafter referred to as the same jacket) as well as issue G-1s. The quality and workmanship of the FAI jackets I've handled is nearly identical to vintage issue G-1s. The only cosmetic difference I've found is that FAI's pocket flaps are flat-bottomed, versus the more common slightly curved bottom.

I prefer the FAI to current issue jackets for a few reasons. The FAI feels slightly roomier. The FAI also specifies goatskin, a genuine mouton collar, and the Talon brass wire zipper slider (with the leather pull attached) versus the current mil-spec cow or goat, synthetic collar, and random brass slider. FAI perforates the storm flap with the "USN" in the original read-it-sideways format, versus the newer top-to-bottom vertically oriented lettering. Finally, FAI sews in a nice black embroidered nomenclature tag, versus the ubiquitous white "paper" tag used by many military apparel contractors.

The only caveat is that I've seen one example online of a FAI-labeled G-1 that had pointed pocket flaps and a random brass zipper slider.

My Kropp-labeled G-1 came from Pensacola Naval Air Station in the early 1990s, concurring with another post that they were sold at military base exchanges.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

RenaissanceMan

New in Town
Some reference pics. The only difference between the FAI and Kropp jackets is "Kropp Enterprises Inc." substituted for "Flight Apparel Industries Inc." on the label.

2ad76801-a676-4307-9ddb-3ea549ea7114_zps8983202a.jpg
c28bbbd0-414c-4566-b465-5361a01abc9b_zps713af14d.jpg
5c7e8cdc-b30b-4381-93f6-1f27fe770afe_zpsdfa41ce8.jpg
655c1c0e-7cc9-49ee-b42d-fca4972f2b04_zps13219909.jpg
98f99d65-cf08-4ddf-a0af-e78c7ec3df6c_zpse534c09a.jpg
e426da90-1eeb-4157-a9a4-7c5233ee0766_zps40a68566.jpg
8685d1ed-48d7-4ac1-892a-1b5b49a3ef70_zpsde664ff8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda