Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some advise on leather gaiters

Gid Scoop

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I'm a lurker here for quite some time now and I have to admit that I'm not sure, if I posted before or even introduced myself. If not I have to beg your pardon for "going like a bull at the gate". The name's Jens, maybe some of you know me from COW. I'm a German archaeologist working in the orient at the moment and have a weakness for the Golden Era's "classic" adventure, you know, the pulp heroes and real explorers ... and especially their appearance. This is there a group like yours with this immense knowledge gathered might be able to help and I dare to ask my question even without a proper introduction (again my pardon).

I'm just about to purchase a pair of "US leather leggings" from Schipperfabrik (it's right here, just scroll down a bit) and now I'm unsure concerning the measurements. The lable say "large" with up to 17'' and I measure the widest part of my calf plus the cloth of socks and pants above and come close to 18'', which would mean I need the "XL" up (up to 19''). Do I measure wrong or is the measurement meant without socks and pants? Or do I really have that large calves?!
Maybe somebody around has experience with this pair of gaitors or something similar; I was thinking that the large is the old (vinatge) size lable, since people were smaller back then ... but I'm not sure.

Any input and help would be much appreaciated!
Thanks and ma'a salama!
-- Jens

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Gid Scoop said:
I'm just about to purchase a pair of "US leather leggings" from Schipperfabrik (it's right here, just scroll down a bit) and now I'm unsure concerning the measurements. The lable say "large" with up to 17'' and I measure the widest part of my calf plus the cloth of socks and pants above and come close to 18'', which would mean I need the "XL" up (up to 19''). Do I measure wrong or is the measurement meant without socks and pants? Or do I really have that large calves?!
Maybe somebody around has experience with this pair of gaitors or something similar; I was thinking that the large is the old (vinatge) size lable, since people were smaller back then ... but I'm not sure.

Any input and help would be much appreaciated!
Thanks and ma'a salama!
-- Jens

Hi Jens

Welcome.

I hope I'm don't sound dismissive when I say the best thing to do is contact them direct. Older gaiters tend to be smaller round the calf. Repro garments are often re-sized for modern bodies, but it's best to see how they do it.

I respect and admire your decision to do things the old, stylish way. I hope you get a positive answer and that you can use these gaiters. I like the look of them. In fact, I've been wondering whether anyone else here has bought a pair. I know several have admired them...

Gid Scoop

New in Town
You're right - it would be smartest to just give the company a call. Unfortunately they're situated in the US and I'm excavating in the Jordanian desert at the moment (really happy that we have slow working internet from time to time); even if I was at home, the whole returning thing would be a bit pricey for me being in Europe. But I will shoot 'em an e-mail, just to be sure ...

Actually I was asking since I also was curious if anybody else around might have experiences with this kind of wardrobe.

Thanks again for your input and kind regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou