Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need thoughts on Cigarette Girl Look

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Ladies

I'm putting together a cigarette girl look for a USO event this summer. I have this pattern as a starting point as it has something of a "uniform" feel to me...

106597665_o.jpg
[/IMG]

I am thinking what I would do the short sleeved version with the skirt above the knee and that I will make it two toned such that the panels on the shoulders and the collar contrast the body. Then a little pill box styled hat.

Should I do this in black and white, or would red and blue be better?

Should I do it in a satin, taffeta....thoughts?

Honey Doll

Snookie

Practically Family
I like red and blue better, too, and I like the idea of white trim. The sleeves or the collar could be contrast, too. How about some patches, like stars or eagles or "USO" for the front, collar, and/or sleeve? You could also do star shaped or contast buttons.

Fabric choice probably depends on the time of day and the setting. If it's the evening, I'd definitely pick satin. Or, you could pick a contrast fabric, so some parts are matte and others shiny. I'd skip the taffeta, that's better for a more formal dress.

SO cute! I wish I had an excuse to make a USO outfit!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm leaning toward red/blue and satin since it is evening.

I want to incorporate these buttons

il_430xN_22418659.jpg
[/IMG]

but don't have quite enough. There are 5. Any thoughts?

Also, I'd like a bit of fullness in the skirt, would it be appropriate to horsehair braid in the hem?

Thanks again ladies!

Honey Doll

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, those buttons are amazing, HoneyDoll! You have such a great collection, I always love your posts.

5 buttons is tough! If you had 6, you could use them as trim down the front, on each side, but only using 4 wouldn't look good. Honestly, I think a satin dress might overpower those buttons, and they're so wonderful I'd like to see them center stage on a garment, like on a vest perhaps?

If you really want to use them though, how about finding some complementary buttons and alternating them down the front?

Oh, and you might have already decided about how you want your contrasts/trim to work, but a good tool is to photocopy your pattern and marker in the color options, that way you can see your different options. That is, if you don't have Photoshop.

Idledame

Practically Family
Didn't the cigarette girls wear very short, very full skirts with lots of ruffly slips underneath? This picture is more 1920s
RuthEtting-ZiegfeldFollies.jpg

This is supposed to be a cigarette girl uniform. But did they all wear uniforms?
s0255-zoom.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks again ladies for all your help! Snookie-- I took a low tech approach to your idea on coloring a copy and think I have my scheme now in place!

I found the same buttons in white and have enough to do the dress.

Idledame...yes shorter for sure! This pic is a loose inspiration that I found on another thread here..

VO2.jpg
[/IMG]

So... I will shorten to a bit above the knee.

Honey Doll

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Idledame said:
Didn't the cigarette girls wear very short, very full skirts with lots of ruffly slips underneath? This picture is more 1920s
RuthEtting-ZiegfeldFollies.jpg

This is supposed to be a cigarette girl uniform. But did they all wear uniforms?
s0255-zoom.jpg

That uniformy one looks more like a theater usherette to me - I think cigarette girls were usually sexier.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Here's my cigarette girl uniform

Hi all

It's been ages since I've been around! I've been hard at work putting together a fashion show for the USO event at the Geneseo Air Show which was this past weekend. All together I made 11 pieces for the show and styled 17 models!

I wanted to post this here to show you how it came out. I was quite pleased! I'll post more of the looks from the show in the "what I made thread" as I upload them!

Thanks again for all the input!

20080709_999_3.jpg

Honey Doll

Spaugs

New in Town
wow, that dress came together very well! I'm sure you'll really fit the part of a cigarette girl dressed in that!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21