Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW 2010 Stetson Whippet

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We are getting in a straw version of the Brewster . It will be online next week. This is a much nicer hat than the Whippet . The Brewster is made of genuine Panama straw and will have a 2 3/8" bound edge just like the felt version.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Artie

Suspended
That's a Whippet the same way a 70's mustang II is to a 69 Shelby. An abuse of the name. Looks half a step above a target stingy. And yes I know that's my opinion.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
We are getting in a straw version of the Brewster . It will be online next week. This is a much nicer hat than the Whippet . The Brewster is made of genuine Panama straw and will have a 2 3/8" bound edge just like the felt version.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

2 3/8 bound edge. Now we're talkin'. I will be interested to see a picture also.:eusa_clap

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

The felt version is a beauty - will the Panama Brewster have the same nice cloth sweat as the felt version?

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:
I dont know if the hat will be available in a 7 3/4. I dont see why not. Stetson has the block for it.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

That would be nice. Sometimes 7-3/4 are a little loose on me - that combined with a thin fabric sweatband and the 7-5/8 might fit. Skyvue, the Brewster was pretty flexible, it might conform to your LO noggin without too much trouble.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Shantung is very stiff, isn't it? If not a fan of the stiff straws.

Shantung is a trade name for a paper fiber. The only shantung I've ever seen has some sort of a shellac coating. This is what makes it stiff.

I don't mind stiff straw. My Amish farmer's hat is very stiff but it's just woven straw - wheat or oat? I don't know - reinforced with cotton nylon thread. I'm not a fan of shellacked paper fiber.

This Whippet straw is quite handsome though.

HATCO

Vendor
The crown height is 4 1/4" in the center front, and 4 1/2" at the highest point above the side dents on each side.

The hat is not hard and is in fact very soft. Western hats go through multiple dippings and dryings in order to get that snap This hat and many from the 2010 line have are of the soft construction variety.

Found out not too long ago that the shantung is also a name of fine silk from china.

The brewster is also a really great hat.

RBH

Bartender
HATCO said:
The crown height is 4 1/4" in the center front, and 4 1/2" at the highest point above the side dents on each side.

The hat is not hard and is in fact very soft. Western hats go through multiple dippings and dryings in order to get that snap This hat and many from the 2010 line have are of the soft construction variety.

Found out not too long ago that the shantung is also a name of fine silk from china.

The brewster is also a really great hat.
Thanks !!!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
I will have to see it in person, but that sounds like a hat I could really like.
It seems like it has a nice crown to it, most straws now days has such a short crown. Even when they have a wide[er] brim.

Thats what I noticed also and the combo of a low tapered crown and wide brim look goofy to me. This is looking better. I might actually pull the trigger on one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo