Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW 2010 Stetson Whippet

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Yes I noticed that. Your ribbon and bow work looks nicer to me. Are the bow tacks as noticable as mine? Mine has some minor flaws in the ribbon - bow work so could be the reason it ended up in the outlet at $39.00. :)

The stitching was more discrete on the one I tried out. And the ribbon appears narrower on yours. But still a nice looking hat at a great price.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
I picked this one up at the Stetson Outlet (Garland, TX) for $39.00.

4477173864_114b32d015_b.jpg

After looking at both hats, this looks like a Brewster ribbon on the Whippet hat. Maybe it was an accident or they were experimenting[huh]

handlebar bart said:
After looking at both hats, this looks like a Brewster ribbon on the Whippet hat. Maybe it was an accident or they were experimenting[huh]

Yes that could be the case.

Here is a pic of the label.

4477174146_c40fc191a8_b.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Now that's a nice straw fedora. I may consider a purchase someday, as it's relatively cheap, cheaper than the majority of Panamas I've seen, and I actually sort of like the bound brim, it adds a unique touch to the whole thing.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The Whippet looks great in both incarnations. I know it's too much to ask that they make a long oval but why do they insist on stitching that looks like pop rivets to hold on the band and cardboard sweats? My Pinnacle sweat doesn't even come close to the one on my Camp Draft. Sorry, just a little venting.
Tom D.

handlebar bart said:
How accurate is the sizing on that one? the 7 1/4 I tried out fit just like the 7 1/8s I wear.

I normally wear a 7 3/8 so accurate (a tad round though). I have found the current felt Stetsons run one size too big (at least for me).

St.Ignatz said:
The Whippet looks great in both incarnations. I know it's too much to ask that they make a long oval but why do they insist on stitching that looks like pop rivets to hold on the band and cardboard sweats? My Pinnacle sweat doesn't even come close to the one on my Camp Draft. Sorry, just a little venting.
Tom D.

The ribbon and bow tack stitching isn't very good on mine. The ribbon and bow work looks better on Bart's version. Also a bit difficult to snap the brim due to the very stiff straw.

HATCO

Vendor
Are you talking about the reeding tape that is sewn onto the leather sweat? Which is about 10 stitchs per inch. The reed tape once sewn onto the leather band is than attached to the hat at about 3 stitches per inch.

St.Ignatz said:
Tom D.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
HATCO said:
Are you talking about the reeding tape that is sewn onto the leather sweat? Which is about 10 stitchs per inch. The reed tape once sewn onto the leather band is than attached to the hat at about 3 stitches per inch.
No sir, I am talking about the sweat itself. The leather is thin and sort of dry feeling with a composite texture to it. I purchased the Pinnacle for the 100% beaver and was not disappointed in the felt or lining but the sweat does not come up to the standards set by the rest of the hat. I expected attention to detail in all aspects of your flagship product. My two Saxons, Sovereign Vintage and Downs (all modern) have a lesser band still but the modern Open Road seems like the exception. The stitching on the bands of the Saxons especially appears to use a heavy thread and quite a bit of it. The Pinnacle stitching shows as a lot less glossy and obtrusive. I've stated in other threads that I do like the Stetson shape and crown height but "the devil is in the details" as they say.

Tom D.

HATCO said:

Can you please tell me why there is a different ribbon / bow on the Whippet that I picked up at the Stetson Outlet vs. Bart's sample?

BTW I really like the look of this Whippet straw!

HATCO

Vendor
It could have been a prototype or a mistake. Or it could have been made for an account that thought they could sell more with a thinner ribbon. We could have taken it out before it shipped or they could have canceled the order or sent the hat back...

Possibilities are endless because it's an outlet store.

HATCO said:
It could have been a prototype or a mistake. Or it could have been made for an account that thought they could sell more with a thinner ribbon. We could have taken it out before it shipped or they could have canceled the order or sent the hat back...

Possibilities are endless because it's an outlet store.

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense. Do you have any info on the paper label coding (under the barcode)?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Since I see that Hatco is reading this thread:

Why have you forsaken us larger-headed hat-wearers? I would order a straw Whippet immediately if I could get one in 7 3/4-7/8, and I'm certain I'm not alone.

As I pointed out in another thread, guys like us are all but excluded from the vintage hat market, so it would seem to make sense that contemporary hat makers would include us in their target market.

HATCO

Vendor
mayserwegener said:
Thank you for the reply. Makes sense. Do you have any info on the paper label coding (under the barcode)?

TS = sTestson Straw

81 = Body Type (an 81 is a glazed shantung 3 bu 2 x 2 weave)

10 = Profile

61 = Color (Silver Belly, 81 = Natural)

24 = Brim ( 20 = 2", 21 = 2 1/8" 22 = 2 1/4", 24 = 2 1/2" etc)

WIPT = Trim ( ribbon, leather, bow)

B = Bound

- = empty space for more instructions like H for eyelets

R = Regular oval

Does this mean you can make up your own hat like a TS71158126.WIPTB-R?

No because it is not in the system.

HATCO

Vendor
skyvue said:
Since I see that Hatco is reading this thread:

Why have you forsaken us larger-headed hat-wearers? I would order a straw Whippet immediately if I could get one in 7 3/4-7/8, and I'm certain I'm not alone.

As I pointed out in another thread, guys like us are all but excluded from the vintage hat market, so it would seem to make sense that contemporary hat makers would include us in their target market.

I saw this mentioned last week and passed it along.

HATCO said:

TS = sTestson Straw

81 = Body Type (an 81 is a glazed shantung 3 bu 2 x 2 weave)

10 = Profile

61 = Color (Silver Belly, 81 = Natural)

24 = Brim ( 20 = 2", 21 = 2 1/8" 22 = 2 1/4", 24 = 2 1/2" etc)

WIPT = Trim ( ribbon, leather, bow)

B = Bound

- = empty space for more instructions like H for eyelets

R = Regular oval

Does this mean you can make up your own hat like a TS71158126.WIPTB-R?

No because it is not in the system.

Thanks! Great info!

Is there a production date code in the barcode numbers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran