Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New AERO 1930s Halfbelt in goat...A very serious pictorial review

Windward

Practically Family
would be also good for my back and shoulders . . . .

I have not received a massage from Galashiels about my last order. :(
How long have you waited for this jacket?

See you soon.

Olli[/QUOTE]

Gancho - I never knew that Aero also will give massage . . . lol
Sorry - konnte nicht widerstehen. . . could not resist. . . hope you dont mind!
Many others have lots of humors. . . .
cheers
Windward

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks for posting. . .

Jan - such a great jacket. . . leather, color, fit. . . looks simply amazing!!!

Congrat
Windward

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Jan,

A couple questions on your specs:

#1: "Front and back must have the same length"

Can you share your experience in front vs. back length. What motivated you to choose this option versus front longer "x inch", back longer "y inch"?

#2: "Double leather (leather lined) button cuffs"

Does this add wear protection or just a stylistic change?

#3: "The zipper should end 2 inches above the jacket’s hem"

Is this a functional spec? What is the reasoning...I like the look!

Thanks,
H

Navin323i

Practically Family
Sehr gut jacket, Jan! Nice pics too. Thank you for not posting up pics of you picking your nose this time, LOL. :D

What prompted you to specify to Aero to have them make the front and back of the jacket the same length? If you had not specified this then how much of a difference would there have been between front and back length?

Enjoy your new jacket!

Navin

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thank you so much guys!!!! It really took a while to get the pics right (all taken with self timer!) I'm glad you liked them...

Windward, I think I've waited 4 months for this jacket, but a HB is a jacket that most machinists at Aero can do. Whereas sheepskin models or certain military or motorcycle jackets can only be made by a few, I guess. ...Maybe this partly explains why the wait is sometimes shorter and sometimes longer.

Mojo1975, my jacket doesn't have a yoke, but some HBs do. Check part two of the review. There's a shot of the back.

Edward, I know what you mean! I don't think I will be using the throat latch a lot. It's mainly there for cosmetic reasons...but it works well even when the jacket is worn with a thin scarf.

Holdencain, check your PM folder.

Navin, I don't know much the front drops on a standard 1930s HB but I simply don't like it. IMO a jacket just shouldn't be longer in the front. Although it looks good on some forumer's jackets...

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Thanks, Jan, for a great review.

Your eye for detail in designing your jackets is inspiring. I've learned more about the little things that make a jacket 'pop' than I dreamed existed. This modified cafe racer is a very cool jacket. You and Aero are clearly on the same wavelength. Cheers.

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
sigh... you had to do this Jan didnt you? I don't think I will ever "pull the trigger" on an aero. I just have seen too many that I love on this site. I never considered goat... until now. The dark color of your jacket is perfect. You have sold me on the OD lining. What to do, what to do.... I dont have a FQHH yet, but this is just gorgeous. LOVE IT. Congrats on another great jacket and thank you for the pics.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The jacket looks very nice. I can almost feel it since I have a jacket of similar skin. I like the arms alot, very slim and nice and also the buttoned cuffs adds alot to the look.

Personally I like a yoke and think the jacket looks a little bare without it, but it has the halfbelt so.

Regarding different length back and front, I think this is a personal matter due to physics in some way. If I have a jacket same length it will look short in the front. My bad sized highwayman just barely covered my belt in the back but needed 3" in the front to do the same.

My "new" highwayman is 0.5" longer in the front but when I look in the mirror from the side, the front still looks shorter then the back, so i really think it has alot to do with how the jacket hangs on a person. A standard halfbelt would probably be spot on for me in this regard.

Its nice to see aeros with different hides.
I have thought about a cafe racer in natural color. And a 30´s halfbelt in oilpull.

Nice to see some humorpictures here, you really nailed it with the neanderthal vs sophisticated man. How do your girlfriend like this jacket?

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
JanSolo said:
I don't know much the front drops on a standard 1930s HB but I simply don't like it. IMO a jacket just shouldn't be longer in the front. Although it looks good on some forumer's jackets...

The drop fronts on the 1930s and 1940s Hercules jackets are pretty cool...Yet if it's too much of a dropped front it can look a bit silly...

JLStorm

Practically Family
Jan, how thick and heavy is their goat skin? Do you have any idea of the ounce weight? or some way I could equate it to their steer or FQHH? Im looking for something that would be seriously thick, but not as stiff as the steer. Something to use as a springtime jacket.

Any ideas?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks again,everybody!

JLStorm, sorry I can't give you a specific weight. The leather feels thicker and stiffer than Aero's mid weight HH (A2 leather) but yet quite light. This is likely due to the straight veg tanning, which leaves the leather sort of "dry" compared to the heavily oiled and wax stuffed FQHH.
Hope that helps.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
About that, my goat-cheyenne does look kinda dry in some places. What does Aero say about it, will the leaher still work for 10 years without treating, or should I get something for it?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Absolutely Griff! I know what you mean but this dryness only refers to the spray finish. Check wartime A2...70 years old...which holds up better? Horse or Goat?
If you feel better with a little care for your jacket, I guess Pecard's would be ok...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I just dont want it to crack, specially as I use it in the winter, other then that its fine.

If its only the finish, then it doesnt matter, ill just use it, I do want it to fade so.. Thanks.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Homo Neanderthalensis poses in front of a stone age camera, displaying his favourite leisure activities. However he will soon be extinct:

Heh, nice one, Jan! I was feeling near extinction myself this morning, as we were at a friend's wedding party last nite! :)

My Aero A2 is goatskin and I guess it's the same weight as on your new jacket (please correct me if I'm wrong, folks!), and I really love it - for day-to-day wear, I find FQHH a mite heavy and stiff. Compared to the goatskin on my (now-sold) Cooper A2 and my old faithful, a USN G1, the Aero goat is much more substantial. As noted, it possesses an excellently pebbly grain and takes on wear marks in a most pleasing manner, especially on seams, pocket edges, etc...

If I'm ever in a position to splurge on a custom Aero, I think I'd get a variant on the 1930s halfbelt, as you did, deffo in goat... am loving those button cuffs, but why did you get the arms that length? Pardon me for saying, but they do look a tad long...

JLStorm

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Thanks again,everybody!

JLStorm, sorry I can't give you a specific weight. The leather feels thicker and stiffer than Aero's mid weight HH (A2 leather) but yet quite light. This is likely due to the straight veg tanning, which leaves the leather sort of "dry" compared to the heavily oiled and wax stuffed FQHH.
Hope that helps.

Im looking looking for something to use as a spring and early fall jacket, sounds like goat may be the way to go. Does the veg tanning make for a good patina as the jacket gets worn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR